The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His brother Luke is the best shooter Lance Blanks ever saw.

It seems like there have been a few of these in Suns history. I think Sean Marks was one as well. There are plenty more who I cannot readily recall.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
20 to 1 the Lakers will.

You may well be right. If the Suns didn't have Chandler, he might make a decent backup center as long as Hornacek is not coaching.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Minnesota Bulls will. They already have Thibs, Rose, Butler, Taj Gibson, and Luol Deng. Noah on a minimum deal to try and get Butler to stay sounds like something Thibs would try. They would have Chicago's starting 5 from Rose's MVP days.

You may well be right. It makes total sense. Noah for the minimum is a bargain for a team looking for a backup center.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One of the worst things that can happen to an NBA player--basketball wise--is to get a contract that is significantly overpriced based upon his level of play. He gets perceived as a bad player when he is not necessarily. He is just overpaid.

However, the bank account looks nice.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One of the worst things that can happen to an NBA player--basketball wise--is to get a contract that is significantly overpriced based upon his level of play. He gets perceived as a bad player when he is not necessarily. He is just overpaid.

However, the bank account looks nice.

Never really considered that but you make a good point. If Noah signed a deal for 4 years at like $20 million total then he wouldn't be the punchline he currently is. Instead he gets paid close to that annually and bashed for it. Can't blame him for signing the deal. Meanwhile Phil Jackson gets a pass for a deal everyone knew was too much.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A trade by the Clippers. It does not impact the Suns or so I think.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it will impact the Clippers roster as they are going to waive Ajinca.

The Clippers will be down to 15 players.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My condolences to the family of Paul Allen.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have a vet short term fill in already. No point in trading for Beverly now. Rozier or Tyus Jones or something like that should be the target.

Who knows, maybe Okobo or Melton will step up. That is possible.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It shouldn't take long for people to see Crawford is not only NOT a PG but he's also super old and should have retired. This signing does nothing but push a few fringe players from the roster.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It shouldn't take long for people to see Crawford is not only NOT a PG but he's also super old and should have retired. This signing does nothing but push a few fringe players from the roster.

And you forgot, he's not a good shooter. Even in his prime, he was a scorer, not a shooter. This signing makes no sense at all.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And you forgot, he's not a good shooter. Even in his prime, he was a scorer, not a shooter. This signing makes no sense at all.

I'm glad some others see it for what it is. Crawford is less of a PG than Brandon Knight. People who didn't like Knight's shot selection will be calling for Melton and Okobo, maybe even Bender, when Crawford starts jacking up 20 footers after dribbling the air out of the ball for the majority of the shot clock. He's a guard version of Melo.

For reference, Derek Rose's corpse pushed Crawford from the Wolves rotation entirely last year. That alone should be enough to tip people off to what he can do at this stage. I don't think an NBA player has lost their role to Rose since our playoff drought started.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think the Suns signing Crawford is less about him and more about the weakness of the Suns roster.

IMO, it shows a lack of confidence in the Suns fringe players.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm glad some others see it for what it is. Crawford is less of a PG than Brandon Knight. People who didn't like Knight's shot selection will be calling for Melton and Okobo, maybe even Bender, when Crawford starts jacking up 20 footers after dribbling the air out of the ball for the majority of the shot clock. He's a guard version of Melo.

I see Crawford as the elite version of what Knight should have been. A guy who was happy to come off the bench and be instant offense as the main focus against second stringers. Very few have done that better than Crawford. Of course, if the Suns try to make him something he's not...a starting point guard, the results will likely be infuriating.

And that's not factoring in that Crawford is two years older than Tyson Chandler.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If I was thinking about signing a vet leader for mentoring, I would be thinking about signing a player who has strengths where I believe my young players have weaknesses. But I would also want a player whose overall skill set would be similar to the potential of my younger players.

Melton. Established defensive player (for his stage in development at least) but his offense, particularly shooting, is an issue.
Okobo. All around skill set. Good defender. Seems to have the athleticism and skills to be an NBA starting pg, but needs to gain confidence and experience.

Crawford does not lack in confidence or offense. So maybe there is something there. I am not holding my breath though. At 38, a player is on borrowed time.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So smooth...

Did he put on some weight over the summer? I see what people were saying about him being a player like Turkoglu now. His build is very similar. He looks taller also but that could just be seeing him with NBA players finally. He may be a solid player but he'll need an offense tailored to him to truly be effective. There's a good chance that a team tailored to him won't be much of a contender either so who knows what his ceiling ends up being.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Did he put on some weight over the summer? I see what people were saying about him being a player like Turkoglu now. His build is very similar. He looks taller also but that could just be seeing him with NBA players finally. He may be a solid player but he'll need an offense tailored to him to truly be effective. There's a good chance that a team tailored to him won't be much of a contender either so who knows what his ceiling ends up being.

Maybe some, but he was always bigger and stronger than people gave him credit for. I don't think he needs an offense tailored to him. He is a hell of an offensive player. If he can shoot well consistently, he will be unstoppable in any offense.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard