The 2009-10 Los Angeles Lakers thread

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the newest thread for the defending NBA Champions ... the Los Angeles Lakers.

Go Lakers !!!

:jedi:

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
The Offseason officially starts today. A lot of questions for the Lakers this summer. Kobe can opt out, Ariza and Odom are both free agents, you never know how things will fall.

Personally, I see no way Kobe opts out. And with the Lakers winning the title, I think the Lakers re-sign both Ariza and Odom. If however, if it's only one or the other, I hope it's Ariza, he's my favorite player.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Title defense starts now! :D

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back to back, baby!! Bring it! Break the bank, Buss.

Sign Ariza and Odom both. I'd love to see Sasha moved with Ammo, and Brown signed.

Kobe ain't opting out. We need a viable backup for Kobe though, stat. He needs rest, and the minutes he's resting need to be quality minutes.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Back to back, baby!! Bring it! Break the bank, Buss.

Sign Ariza and Odom both. I'd love to see Sasha moved with Ammo, and Brown signed.

Kobe ain't opting out. We need a viable backup for Kobe though, stat. He needs rest, and the minutes he's resting need to be quality minutes.

You favor trying to trade Sasha? I never thought I would agree, but sadly I do. I don't understand Vujacic at all, a couple seasons ago he was a sniper but this year he's been absolutely terrible. Same with Jordan Farmar. It was funny after the game listening to Farmar talk about how good the Lakers depth was, but he was awful the entire year. I like both Sasha and Farmar, but I wouldn't be surprised to see either of them go. The advantage to keeping Vujacic is he's still a very tenacious defender. I would like to see Farmars minutes go to Shannon Brown. Brown also plays the 2 Guard, he can get minutes backing up Kobe if Vujacic is moved.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love Sasha, but he is a shooter first, and he couldn't hit the broadside of a barn this season. He was a problem on the court, even in the limited minutes. Sad, because I love the guy.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
I love Sasha, but he is a shooter first, and he couldn't hit the broadside of a barn this season. He was a problem on the court, even in the limited minutes. Sad, because I love the guy.

I agree, I really like him, but it's frustrating to watch him chuck up brick after brick. He wasn't even making them when he was wide open. Not sure what happened to him, but he never snapped out of it this season. I don't think he would make good trade bait though because I'm not sure how many teams would really give up anything for him. Then again, the Lakers have a habbit of taking other teams bench players and turning them into stars, look what they did for Trevor Ariza. It will be interesting to see what Sasha's future holds.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
Sasha Vujacic=Boris Diaw.

Kicks ass, gets new contract, implodes.

BTW...is this thread not "Official"?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sasha Vujacic=Boris Diaw.

Kicks ass, gets new contract, implodes.

BTW...is this thread not "Official"?

It's "Official."

Last time a Suns fan started the yearly thread so we had to create another one and call it the official one.

As long as it's created by a Lakers fan, for Lakers fans - it's official. :D

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great move, they sold the damn thing for $3 million. Add the cap savings of $2 million (1 in salary, one in lux tax) and they dumped a 29th pick for 5 million bucks, which can be used for Shanwow and Ariza and Odom.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Ariza leaning toward leaving the Lakers..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4301414

If this is true, it will be the biggest mistake the Lakers have made in decades. They would not be champions if not for Ariza and he deserves a real offer even if it means luxury tax.

If Cleveland gets him, crown them champs. You take the Cavs and add Shaq and Ariza and they are a lock.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Ariza won't go to Cleveland. They can only pay him the same amount as the Lakers.

He may be in talks with Houston is what I hear now.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't fret, don't fret. He isn't worth the money he's asking for, and if he goes for any other team's MLE over the Lakers, I won't shed a tear and I love the guy.

His agent is the NBA version of Rosenhaus, without the business savvy. He is playing it hard right now to try and get more money.

End of the day, Ariza will sign for the MLE, in LA. Charlie V got 8 mill a year, but he scored 16 points a game and grabbed 7 boards as the primary option on a team. Ariza is the 3rd or 4th option role player on a team with Pau and Kobe drawing doubles and he put up 8 points. He doesn't need to be getting 8 million. If anyone out there really wants to pay him that, good for Trevor, he's getting over.

And Cleveland already has a pretty good SF, from what I hear.

5.6 million is his ballpark.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plus, if Ariza bolts for some insane reason, Artest is in the wings. You don't have the long-term with Ron, but 2-3 years of solid contending, plus insanity. Maybe titles, but for sure it would be exciting.

I don't see Ariza going elsewhere, but Ron is probably hoping to hell he does.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Well, I have to say I disagree with the assesment that Ariza isn't worth the money, but what's done is done. Sounds like things weren't working with Ariza so the Lakers went out and got Artest. This is probably an upgrade, I know, but I'm sad to see Ariza go. Artest is a hell of a player though and keeps the Lakers firmly in the #1 spot going into the season, especially if they retain Odom.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I have to say I disagree with the assesment that Ariza isn't worth the money, but what's done is done. Sounds like things weren't working with Ariza so the Lakers went out and got Artest. This is probably an upgrade, I know, but I'm sad to see Ariza go. Artest is a hell of a player though and keeps the Lakers firmly in the #1 spot going into the season, especially if they retain Odom.

NONE of those things have happened yet, man. It's just talk and posturing.

Dude, Ariza is NOT worth 8 million a year. Charlie V is, and he brings almost 17-7 to the table. Ariza is an MLE player, especially in this environ.

Ariza is still a FA, and Artest is not a Laker...this is rumor time, bro, and Twitter and the Web are making it crazier than usual.

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
NONE of those things have happened yet, man. It's just talk and posturing.

Dude, Ariza is NOT worth 8 million a year. Charlie V is, and he brings almost 17-7 to the table. Ariza is an MLE player, especially in this environ.

Ariza is still a FA, and Artest is not a Laker...this is rumor time, bro, and Twitter and the Web are making it crazier than usual.

Sorry Donald:

Ariza Agrees To Sign With Houston

Trevor Ariza has made a verbal commitment to sign with the Houston Rockets, according to sources close to the process.

With at least five teams pursuing Ariza, the Lakers appeared unwilling to pay him more than the $5.6 million mid-level exception.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60295/20090702/ariza_agrees_to_sign_with_houston/

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Artest, Lakers reach verbal agreement
by FOXSports.com
July 2, 2009, 10:13 PM EDT

Ron Artest is joining Kobe Bryant and the Los Angeles Lakers.

David Bauman, Artest's agent, told The Associated Press that the Houston Rockets forward has verbally agreed to play for the NBA champions next season. Bauman said the final details are still being worked out, but could be finished as early as Thursday night.

The Los Angeles Times says the two sides are close to reaching a deal, probably for the full mid-level exception, roughly five years and $32 million. Bauman would not confirm numbers, saying the deal was still being negotiated.

"We're not quite there yet," Bauman said. "We're still working on it."

The 6-foot-7 forward earned $7.4 million in his only season with Houston, averaging 17.1 points, 5.2 rebounds and 3.3 assists. The 2004 Defensive Player of the Year was also a rugged 1-on-1 defender, often assigned to guard the opponent's most dynamic scorer.

Bauman said Artest was looking for a championship-caliber team when he became an unrestricted free agent on Wednesday and the Lakers were one of his top choices.

"He wants to win a ring," Bauman said. "He's a winner and a hard worker and he went looking for a team with whom he could find some justification for what he does. He plays his best when he's in that kind of an environment."

Artest could not immediately be reached for comment.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/9762030/Artest,-Lakers-reach-verbal-agreement

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry Donald:

Ariza Agrees To Sign With Houston

Trevor Ariza has made a verbal commitment to sign with the Houston Rockets, according to sources close to the process.

With at least five teams pursuing Ariza, the Lakers appeared unwilling to pay him more than the $5.6 million mid-level exception.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60295/20090702/ariza_agrees_to_sign_with_houston/

That was really dumb of Ariza. Say goodbye to title hopes, and you make the same money you'd have made anyway.

And the Lakers sign Artest.

So, we basically made a trade. Odd.

Trevor, good luck my man.

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
That was really dumb of Ariza. Say goodbye to title hopes, and you make the same money you'd have made anyway.

And the Lakers sign Artest.

So, we basically made a trade. Odd.

Trevor, good luck my man.
Out here in LA, fans love the "trade".

Here is more:

Source: Rockets agree on multiyear deal with Ariza

HOUSTON (AP) -A person familiar with the negotiations tells The Associated Press that the Houston Rockets have reached a multiyear deal with free agent Trevor Ariza.

The person, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because NBA rules prohibit announcing free-agent deals until next week, said the Rockets offered Ariza the full mid-level exception for the first year, about $5.6 million.

Ariza is coming to Houston just as Ron Artest decided to leave and play for the Lakers. Ariza is likely to take Artest's spot in the Rockets' starting lineup.

The 6-foot-8 Ariza averaged 8.9 points, 4.3 rebounds and 1.8 assists for the Lakers last season, which ended with the NBA championship.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/nba/wires/07/02/2030.ap.bkn.rockets.ariza.0205/

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Great deal for the Lakers. Not sure what Ariza was thinking. I guess the Lakers called his and his agent's bluff.

Ariza will probably struggle on a Yao-less/Artest-less Houston team.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard