The 2007-08 Los Angeles Lakers thread

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"I'm not worried about which Celtics team shows up [in Tuesday night's Game 3]," Jackson countered. "I'm worried about what Lakers team shows up."

Pretty accurate statement there. If the Lakers can get off the slump, which means play some freaking defense and rebound, and if the game is called evenly, they should win. 3 straight in LA isn't something they can't do. Hell, if they get it to 2-2, it puts pressure back on Boston for game 5. I'd love to go to Boston with a second opportunity to split.

The Celts thought they had put away the Hawks and the Cavs after going up 2-0 as well.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh, even Boston Bill Simmons admits the officiating was ridiculous.

BOSTON -- For all intent and purpose, the Celtics played a perfect Game 2. They shot 53 percent from the field and made nine of 14 3-pointers. They had 31 assists on 36 field goals. They outrebounded the Lakers and shot a whopping 28 more free throws. They were given an ongoing boost by favorable officiating (that's an understatement) and a lively, joyous crowd that brought back memories of the old Garden and the Bird era.

~

Fortunately, there weren't that many Lakers fans in the crowd, nor were there many suits or pseudo-fans. This was a different crowd from Game 1 -- almost entirely Boston diehards, all of them wearing green or white -- which pushed the atmosphere to old-school Garden heights and unquestionably affected the officiating.

~

Of course, I would have said the same thing about anotherLakers-Celtics Finals. Leading by two games, needing only two more victories to clinch a 17th banner, the Celtics took the same things that worked for them in Game 1 (energy, rebounding, home court, some timely 3s) and pushed it to another level. For three quarters, the team peaked as the Lakers seemed frazzled by lopsided officiating and each other. During the first quarter, there was one sequence when Kobe threw a bullet pass through Gasol's hands for a turnover, then shot Gasol one of his patented Michael Corleone, "You disappointed me, don't be surprised if I have you killed later" glares, only Gasol fired right back and told Kobe that he should have thrown a bounce pass, followed by Kobe staring at Gasol intently and trying to make Gasol's head actually explode on the court.

Yeah, maybe it was a minor moment, and maybe these things happen during a basketball game. But it symbolized what happened with the Lakers in these first two games; they looked rattled, they couldn't get calls, they couldn't protect the rim, they couldn't keep Boston off the boards, they shot way too many jumpers and 3-pointers, and on defense they seemed one step behind except for the fourth quarter in both games. For Game 2, they had a valid excuse … an unspeakable 38-10 free-throw disparity that I won't even attempt to defend. At one point, my dad pointed to referee Bob Delaney, who was practically wearing a Celtics jersey and joked, "I like that guy. I want him for every game!"

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Wow... I have always said the NBA officiating is easily the most ambiguous and contentious of all Pro Sports. But it still cracks me up how, come post season, the team( or its' fans) that loses cries the loudest about the calls...

Anyway, the Celts need to win at least one game in LA. A Tall order for a team that somehow made it this far winning only 2 road games all post-season!

If the Lakers win 2 of 3 in LA, I like their chances of going all the way... They are the better team with the better coach. And I really don't expect the Boston bench to continue to play like all-stars...

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow... I have always said the NBA officiating is easily the most ambiguous and contentious of all Pro Sports. But it still cracks me up how, come post season, the team( or its' fans) that loses cries the loudest about the calls...

Hey, I don't whine about refs unless it is really blatant. This is the second time I've really gotten upset about completely one-sided refs. THe other time was a game in cleveland where the refs simply allowed a 17 point turnaround with bad call after bad call. It was wild, and transparent. Never had seen anything like it...last night's game wasn't nearly that bad. Probably because the Lakers weren't playing any D anyway, so the refs were like punishment for being such *******.

We lost game 1, but the refs weren't in play in that. The Miracle was, and our inability to play hard from the moment he went down until the 4th quarter last night. The Immaculate Overreaction by The Miracle threw the Lakers for a loop. I hope the hell that 4th quarter helped them recover, or it will be a short series.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Hey, I don't whine about refs unless it is really blatant. This is the second time I've really gotten upset about completely one-sided refs. THe other time was a game in cleveland where the refs simply allowed a 17 point turnaround with bad call after bad call. It was wild, and transparent. Never had seen anything like it...last night's game wasn't nearly that bad. Probably because the Lakers weren't playing any D anyway, so the refs were like punishment for being such *******.

We lost game 1, but the refs weren't in play in that. The Miracle was, and our inability to play hard from the moment he went down until the 4th quarter last night. The Immaculate Overreaction by The Miracle threw the Lakers for a loop. I hope the hell that 4th quarter helped them recover, or it will be a short series.

So I'm curious... Do you believe that the refs went into the game last night, with full intentions of screwing the Lakers? Or was it something they decided on during the game?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm curious... Do you believe that the refs went into the game last night, with full intentions of screwing the Lakers? Or was it something they decided on during the game?

Neither. Just the way the game flowed. There are some gambling sites that rank how heavily certain refs favor home teams, and it's kind of shocking just how much they do.

But I don't think there is any conspiracy or anything like that. I just think refs get caught up in the game and making bad calls can be contagious.

I think Phil also has a good point that the spacing for the Lakers is terrible, and they are in a crowd quite often in the paint, and no ref is going to make a call unless they know who they want to call it on. In the crowd, they are reluctant. The Lakers are fouling out in the open, reaching in. Fix the spacing and open up the paint some more.

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
The people on this thread didn't.

Sucks having the two threads, and carrying on the same/similar conversation in both.

Plus, thats how arthur taught me to pad posts! :raccoon:
dude, no need for an explanation, i was just busting your bolas. It's all good.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Neither. Just the way the game flowed. There are some gambling sites that rank how heavily certain refs favor home teams, and it's kind of shocking just how much they do.

But I don't think there is any conspiracy or anything like that. I just think refs get caught up in the game and making bad calls can be contagious.

I think Phil also has a good point that the spacing for the Lakers is terrible, and they are in a crowd quite often in the paint, and no ref is going to make a call unless they know who they want to call it on. In the crowd, they are reluctant. The Lakers are fouling out in the open, reaching in. Fix the spacing and open up the paint some more.

Donald, you're a pretty reasonable, practical sorta guy... In a game where the Lakers were dismantled for more than 3 qtrs of the game, why would you even think about injecting the issue of officiating into the discussion?
After the whole Donahy debacle, I think it's pretty safe to assume that there is no funny business going on... It's simply NBA refs trying to call a game that is currently impossible to be called on a consistent basis...
I guess they must have felt sorry for the Lakers in the end though, huh? I mean, can you say that Radmonavic didn't travel on that break-away dunk as the Lakers were making their run? :shock:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Donald, you're a pretty reasonable, practical sorta guy... In a game where the Lakers were dismantled for more than 3 qtrs of the game, why would you even think about injecting the issue of officiating into the discussion?
After the whole Donahy debacle, I think it's pretty safe to assume that there is no funny business going on... It's simply NBA refs trying to call a game that is currently impossible to be called on a consistent basis...
I guess they must have felt sorry for the Lakers in the end though, huh? I mean, can you say that Radmonavic didn't travel on that break-away dunk as the Lakers were making their run? :shock:

Well, part of the dismantling was when Kobe got his third tickytack foul in the 2nd, and the C's went on an 18-4 run. I agreed with JVG there (well, he went off the deepend, but initial point was good) in that you call ticky tack fouls and put stars on the bench in the Finals..why? And without FT points, the Lakers were in a deep hole. BTW, they won the first quarter, 24-22. This concept that the C's are throttling them in the series is incorrect. They led in the first game at the half. They just don't have consistency on the road and haven't been able to get their flow going for a full game.

The officiating thing isn't something I think is a huge deal...the Lakers could have won despite that with their standard late flurry when down huge (they do this quite often, dig big holes then dig their way out...more than I like to see). But if it were a more evenly called game, it would have been more fun to watch overall. These are two great teams...it is kind of weird that the Lakers were in the lane quite a bit, but couldn't draw a foul. Kobe's tech was indicative of the frustration. Despite that, the Lakers need to play through bad officiating, because it will happen again. Refs are just piss poor. That was the 4th worst disparity in a Finals game ever...it is a point worthy of discussing.

It will be interesting to see how the Lakers come out in game 3. Must win, back against the wall kind of game for them. If they can take the next two, game 5 will be wild.

Kevin Ding had a great article about the mindset of the Lakers...I'll go dig it up.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kevin Ding had a great article about the mindset of the Lakers...I'll go dig it up.

Here it is.

Lakers need to find sense of urgency in L.A.
KEVIN DING
Register columnist

BOSTON -- This is not at all confusing, even if you're Lamar Odom.

(Phil Jackson said Odom was "confused" in Game 2 of the NBA Finals on Sunday night; Odom disagreed, but his retort was too confusing for me even to attempt to print here.)

This is not confusing, because there is nothing simpler in sports than when a game's outcome is dictated by that basic human issue: Who wants it more?

The Boston Celtics wanted the first two games of the NBA Finals more. Unquestionably more.

The Celtics — with Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen all ring-less at 30-something years old and coming off a season in which none of the three even made the playoffs — are living in the glorious now and making the most of it.

The Lakers — with Andrew Bynum's long future a few calendar tearsheets and a knee rehabilitation away — are secure in the knowledge that this is just the beginning of something special, so there's no need to have the same kind of urgency.

It shows. The Lakers have looked like a middle-school class going through the motions on a field trip to Paul Revere's house: "Hey, at least we're here and not in school. Good enough!"

It's a shame to see great talent muted by insufficient passion. Sometimes teams have valid reason to fall into happy-to-be-here syndrome after they've overachieved to qualify for a level they're not realistically capable of reaching. But the Lakers are good enough to do this. They have the size and skill to overcome Boston's great defense, but they haven't had the execution that comes from proper focus.

So far it hasn't mattered one iota that the Lakers' bench is more talented than Boston's. What has mattered is that the Lakers' young reserves are out there acting as if they'll have another day in the sun, and the Celtics' old reserves (plus hard-driving Leon Powe) are getting as much work done as they possibly can because they know from experience that suns go down.

Because the Lakers are talented enough — especially with a little infusion of confidence from the fourth quarter of Game 2 to mix with their sudden unhappiness — they'll bring this series back to Boston. Winning Game 3 is a sure thing, and winning one of the next two at Staples Center is no problem.

Yet the Lakers won't be NBA champions in the end unless something clicks in their minds and hearts: This is not about wanting to be NBA champions. This is about wanting to be NBA champions now.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/lakers-boston-nba-2063221-game-odom

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting post from LG:

In two of the last 4 finals a team has rallied from a 0 - 2 road deficit. The Pistons got destroyed in 2 games in San Antonio with people claiming Manu was among the best guards in the game. Detroit recoved and took it to 7, stunning everyone. In 2006, say what you want about the calls but Miami looked completely outmatched for 2 games and 3.5 quarters, only to rally back and take the next 4. The Celtics havent shown us that they are vastly better, they had their chance to make a statment in game 2 but didnt. This series is very winnable for us, recent history shows we can rally back from a 0 - 2 deficit, for the very least of getting a 2 - 2 series.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Celtics:
45 perimeter shots
23 shots in the key
Points in paint: 34
38 free throws

Lakers:
42 perimeter shots
41 shots in the key
Points in paint: 40
10 free throws

5 more FG made. 6 pt loss.

Any ******** in the country could look at this and come to that conclusion.. But to see the sets the Celtics were in that imposed their will on the lakers and they had 25 assists doesnt come from getting fouled.. Even the guys on the radio that are self described laker fans, were saying by simply looking at the box score/shot grid will not tell you how this game truely went.. The celtics are by far a more blue collar team .. Whereas the lakers are a jump shooting team that cant control Rondo.. Even Kobe plays defense when he wants to these days..

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im expecting the lakers to come out with alot of energy tonite.. But I will be hoping the celtics pull this one out.. Cuz if the celtics win tonite... Well.. I dont need to tell you the ramifications ifthat was to happen.. Now would I? :D

Go Celtics!

You must be registered for see images

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
What a crazy ass game.

Odom, Gasol and Pierce all were invisible, and Sasha looked like a perennial All Star. :lol:

I hate to say it, but this game kinda feels like a 'lucky win' for a few reasons. I still think the Celtics are playing a little better, and I hope the Lakers will correct that over the next couple games to get the momentum back.

Sasha was the man tonight, it's nice to see him play so well. I am thrilled about that!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort