The 2005-06 Los Angeles Lakers thread

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leandro Barbosa: "We've still got a chance. I think they look tired."

He must be referring to Marion and Nash. LOL.

A-Bomb

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
From thebrushback.com;

Lakers Formally Declared Winner Of Lakers-Celtics Rivalry
LOS ANGELES--It was over 20 years ago that the Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Lakers established themselves as the gold standard for the NBA and forged a rivalry that become one of the most bitter in all of sports. However, since the 90’s the Lakers have been the dominant team while the Celtics have floundered. With the rivalry all but dead, the Lakers have been formally declared the victor by the National Basketball Association.

Both teams agreed with the declaration.

“Yes, that sounds about right,” said Celtics GM Danny Ainge, a member of the Celtics championship teams of the 1980’s. “Right around the early 90’s both teams set off in wildly different directions. The Lakers won 3 more titles and the Celtics started a rebuilding project. A couple years later they started another. Then they hired me so I could start one. It’s too bad they didn’t have banners to commemorate rebuilding projects, because they are just as important as championships if you think about it. Just don’t think too hard, because your head will hurt.”

Ainge recalls the heyday of the Lakers-Celtics rivalry, when players on both teams thought that it would last forever.

“We enjoyed it. We enjoyed playing each other,” he said. “And yes, we felt like it would last forever. Why wouldn’t it? Both teams had the players, both teams had tons of money, there was history, everything. But nothing lasts forever, I guess. Larry Bird had to retire early because of his back and Magic went on to win another championship. I’d still rather be Larry, though. At least he doesn’t have The Magic Hour on his resume. That’s worth two, three championships right there.”

The Celtics were stunned in 1986 by the death of top draft pick Len Bias, who was expected to take the torch from Larry Bird and lead the team into the 90’s. In 1997, 5 years after Bird retired, the franchise suffered another blow on draft day when they lost out on Tim Duncan, despite being the odds-on favorite to have the top pick. Since then, the Celtics have been unable to build a championship team.

By contrast, the Lakers made a seamless transition after Magic retired with the acquisitions of both Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal, a one-two punch that would win them 3 straight championships from 2000-2002. Even now, the Lakers are competing in the NBA playoffs while the Celtics are coming off yet another rebuilding year.

“It’s a real honor to be declared the winner of one of the greatest rivalries in the history of sports,” said Lakers owner Jerry Buss. “I have so many fond memories of playing the Celtics in the Boston Garden or the Forum with the fans going crazy and this electricity in the air. I miss those days. Now we play in the Staples Center and they play in the TD Waterhouse Banksouth Arena or whatever the hell it’s called. But hey, they need that fancy new arena. It’s the only way to remain financially competitive, other than assembling a winning team.”

The Lakers faced some problems of their own when Phil Jackson retired and Shaq was traded to the Miami Heat. However, they lured Jackson out of retirement and are once again contending for a championship.

“It just seems like whatever happens we come out smelling like roses,” said Bryant, who sunk a game winning shot Sunday night to give the Lakers a 3-1 series lead against heavily favored Phoenix. “While the Celtics are constantly blowing things up and rebuilding, the Lakers are always a move or two away from contending. I wouldn't get too discouraged if I was the Celtics, though. These things tend to be cyclical. It's just that the cycle is sometimes excruciatingly slow. ”

The Celtics are currently attempting to build a championship team with a talented group of youngsters and veterans like Paul Pierce and Wally Szczerbiak. The team showed some promise at the end of the year and Ainge insists that the future is bright for this once proud franchise.

“Things are starting to look up around here,” Ainge said. “It’s taken a while but I think we finally have a core group here that we can win with. It hasn’t been easy for this franchise the past 20 years or so. We’ve gotten every bad break in the book, while the Lakers have gotten every good break. They stopped being our rivals a long time ago. We don’t even think about them anymore. Our chief rivals now are the Nets, Pacers, and our own incompetence.”

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also;

Referees Engaged In Conspiracy Against Every Player In NBA
MIAMI--NBA players have uncovered a massive conspiracy on behalf of the league’s referees against every single one of them, the New York Post reported Monday. The conspiracy has existed all season, but the playoffs have brought the issue to the forefront.

“I really don’t know what the officials were thinking out there,” said Kings guard Mike Bibby after a game against the Spurs. “Did you see the calls they were making against me? I was shocked. I was flabbergasted. They were so obviously favoring the Spurs that we might as well have just forfeited the game. And no, there is no way I could have actually committed those fouls. That’s not even a possibility. I’ve never committed a foul. I only get whistled because the referees hate me.”

Ironically, the Spurs themselves are complaining about a conspiracy in favor of the Kings.

“I don’t like to talk about this conspiracy crap, but you can’t tell me that the refs are calling these games evenly,” said Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich. “We’re getting mauled out there on every play, but when we brush up against one of their guys, we get whistled. When this thing is over I’m going to sit down and talk to the league about this. Something has to be done to restore the integrity of the game.”

Even Manu Ginobli, who is known for his ability to draw fouls, is complaining about the lack of whistles against the Kings.

“What is the deal here?” asked the 6-6 guard. “Just the other night I was dribbling down the court and Ron Artest came up next to me and grazed my shirt. You can see it on the replay if you want. Naturally my body shot through the air and landed somewhere in the third row of seats. But you know what? No whistle. Obviously the league has seen enough of Manu Ginobli and the Spurs in the NBA finals.”

The league-wide conspiracy has shocked many observers, particularly because of its size and scope. Referee conspiracies are nothing new, but one involving every single player and team in the NBA is uncharted territory.

“This is really shocking and disturbing,” said Heat center Shaquille O’Neal. “I’ve been singled out by refs my entire career, but to see it spreading around the whole league like a cancer is horrible. I wonder who’s organizing this conspiracy. Who’s behind it? Who’s pulling the strings? And more importantly, how can they be plotting against every single player? It’s a curious strategy. Apparently they don’t want anybody at all in the finals.”

The complaints against the league have grown so loud that Commissioner David Stern was forced to speak about them during halftime of Monday’s Dallas-Memphis game. The Commissioner, flying in the face of all the evidence, told TNT’s Ernie Johnson that there was no conspiracy at all.

“There is no referee conspiracy against anybody. That’s just ridiculous,” said Stern. “Every year this stuff comes up, but it’s never been as bad as it is now. Literally every single player on every team in the NBA thinks the referees are plotting against them. How could that even be possible? . My advice to the players is to relax and understand that fouls are going to be called against everyone, and sometimes the calls will be questionable, but there is no conspiracy for or against anyone in the NBA.”

He added: “Except for the Lakers. We’re getting those bastards into the finals if it’s the last thing we do.”

;)

A-Bomb

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently Stu Jackson was at the game. The suspension should be swift.

A-Bomb

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, can we now declare KB the winner in the battle of wits vs Rajina?

YOU LOSE! GOOD DAY SIR!

A-Bomb

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
abomb said:
Also, can we now declare KB the winner in the battle of wits vs Rajina?

YOU LOSE! GOOD DAY SIR!

A-Bomb
You'd think Bell would be trying to goad Kobe into getting suspended instead of the other way around.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool, Rajina is out. Suns' summer vacation starts in about 30 hours.

A-Bomb

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
abomb said:
Suns' summer vacation starts in about 30 hours.

A-Bomb

:stick:

Don't get too cocky.

Let's celebrate when it's really over.

:jedi:

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Bell suspended one game for takedown of Bryant
Associated Press

PHOENIX -- The NBA suspended Phoenix guard Raja Bell for one game on Wednesday for throwing Kobe Bryant to the floor in the fourth quarter of Tuesday night's playoff game against the Los Angeles Lakers.

That means the Suns will be without Bell, the principal defender against Bryant, for Game 6 Thursday night in Los Angeles.

Phoenix beat the Lakers 114-97 in Game 5 but Los Angeles still leads the best-of-seven series 3-2 and can eliminate the Suns with a victory. In a brief news release, the NBA said Bell was suspended for "excessive and unnecessary contact."

The suspension had yet to be announced when the Suns practiced earlier Wednesday before leaving for Los Angeles. After the workout, Bell repeated that throwing Bryant down was wrong but explained what led to the foul and made clear his dislike for the Lakers' star.

"I have no respect for him," Bell said. "I think he's a pompous, arrogant individual."

Bell said he had been repeatedly hit in the face by Bryant during the game.

"I got a bruised cheek here and I can barely open my jaw on this side," he said, indicating the left side of his face, "and that didn't come from nowhere, and I felt like I'd had enough of that."

Bell said it went from a game to a personal insult.

"When I get hit in the face multiple times, you've stepped across the line with me," he said. "It's not basketball anymore. It was basketball for four games, then when he hit me in the face, that was the last straw last night. It still doesn't excuse me, but that's just the way I felt about it."

At the other end of the court just before Bell threw Bryant down, the Suns guard said he complained to referee Greg Willard about getting hit in the face, and Lakers coach Phil Jackson hollered out that Bell "deserved it," adding a profanity to emphasize the point.

That's why Bell pointed to the Lakers' bench yelling "That's your foul!" after he threw Bryant down.

Bell and Bryant received a double-technicals in the second quarter. A few minutes after Bell was tossed, Bryant was thrown out of the game for his second technical for complaining about James Jones' hard foul on Kwame Brown.

The latest incident is part of a season-long series of expressions of mutual contempt between Bell and Bryant.

After Tuesday night's game, Bryant said he hoped Bell wouldn't be suspended but added that players can't afford to lose their temper in games.

"I'm not trying to go out there and elbow somebody, that's not the way I play," Bryant said. "If you get elbowed, you still have to keep your cool. I get elbowed all the time."

Bell called Bryant's comments "hypocritical."

Bell's teammate Steve Nash said the Lakers have gotten the best of the officiating in the series.

"We're playing a very heated battle and people on the outside are constantly telling guys that we've got to be more physical," Nash said. "It's tough, and he's faced a lot this series. He's done a great job on Kobe, and Kobe gets away with whatever he wants. That's kind of frustrating."

So Bell admitted that it was pre-meditaded. He's lucky he didn't get a two-game suspension.

Nash is so full of it. Wasn't that Kobe who got ejected last night? Wasn't that Kobe getting hit on the head by Thomas in game one and it not being called? :rolleyes:

Those comments from Nash are why he doesn't get the questionable calls. He should just let the coaches worry about the officials. Whiner.

That mauling of Kobe was just plain stupid on Bell's part and it is going to hurt his team. Why don't the Suns just get mad at Rajina and leave it at that?

Gorilla

Booooya!!!
Reaction score
Renz said:

Nash is so full of it. Wasn't that Kobe who got ejected last night? Wasn't that Kobe getting hit on the head by Thomas in game one and it not being called? :rolleyes:

Those comments from Nash are why he doesn't get the questionable calls. He should just let the coaches worry about the officials. Whiner.

That mauling of Kobe was just plain stupid on Bell's part and it is going to hurt his team. Why don't the Suns just get mad at Rajina and leave it at that?

You are saying Nash is a whiner, and yet, Kobe got his second technical last night for whining. Look, everyone has a biased opinion, you are a Laker fan you defend your team, but we as suns fan will defend ours.

What I like to do to have a better perspective of things, is visit forums of other teams to read what they are saying. Lakers and Suns fans comments and opinions will all be homered.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, so back to Lakers talk...I am very excited and nervous for tonight's game. The NBA Playoffs have been excellent so far.

A-Bomb

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's all abomb's fault.

His and Smush Parkers.

Oh, and us not getting a FREAKING OFFENSIVE REBOUND IN TWO TRIES IN THE LAST THIRTY SECONDS!!!!!

Tim Thomas is the MVP of this series...he's won 2 games for them now. Who woudda thunk it?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heads up Laker faithful...last time were were in a dogfight like this in the playoffs, we went into one of the loudest arenas in the league, Arco, and walked away with a win in OT. That was one of the most awesome games I've watched...great effort. I don't know if I can take yet a third OT game in this series though...damn.

At any rate, win or lose game 7, I am proud of this team and its growing maturity. Kwame is all growns up, Lamar is playing like his talent should let him. We are a PG and PF away from contending. I haven't been as proud of this team in a long long time. Kobe is showing why he is a playoff performer, and is incredibly valuable when he steps on the court. He does whatever is needed. I thought he'd hit that shot at the end of regulation, but took a bad look instead of going to the rack which I think he should have. And we lapsed on the boards giving TT the good look, where I wished Kwame would have simply jump stopped right in front of him to give a bad look instead of flying right by him. Little errors of a young, inexperienced team. Bad defense tonight, and we were right there at the Suns tempo. A lot of good to take away from this game.

Come out with heart in Game 7, Lakers. There's still a good shot to win this one.

Best series of the first round, by far!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TT is getting pretty cocky though...trying to imitate Kobe pulling his shirt back. But I can't complain...TT has earned the right to crow in this series. He is the reason this series isn't over already and the Suns on a boat fishing. Great pickup for those guys...unreal series for him.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've got nothing to lose.

We weren't supposed to win this series. Our team is young and building for the future. It's a cliche, but we really should be happy just to be in the playoffs this season.

To think - we're a game away from knocking off the second-best team in the West. Holy cow.

Here's to an exciting Game 7 - it'll be an incredible finish either way. I think someone on here posted that 7 teams have come back after trailing 3-1. Well, even fewer 7th seeded teams have defeated 2nd seeded teams, only 4 I believe (from TNT the other night).

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
We've got nothing to lose.

We weren't supposed to win this series. Our team is young and building for the future. It's a cliche, but we really should be happy just to be in the playoffs this season.

To think - we're a game away from knocking off the second-best team in the West. Holy cow.

Here's to an exciting Game 7 - it'll be an incredible finish either way. I think someone on here posted that 7 teams have come back after trailing 3-1. Well, even fewer 7th seeded teams have defeated 2nd seeded teams, only 4 I believe (from TNT the other night).

We're making history either way!

:thumbup:

(let's be on the good side of it though, please.)

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kobe's ready to "flush this one" and watch it swirl.

I hope the rest of the guys flush this one too and nobody needs to call Roto Rooter on Saturday.

Smush needs to step the hell up and earn his spot in the NBA. Yeah, I want him to come off the bench next year (and he'd be a hell of a bench guy, IMO) but I really think he needs to play hard and strong, make some of his open looks which I'm sure he's going to get after the last few games, and prove why he deserves to be in the league. He's a mismatch for Steve, and I'd love to see in our first ten possesions at least two times him post up Nash down low.

We have to slow this tempo. Get back to the first three games, and in a hurry.

We need to take the Suns fans out of the game, and let the court play dictate the game, not the momentum of the crowd.

I'm already getting pumped.

Djaughe

Reaction score
I haven't been following basketball much so I'm asking you laker fans this question:

Whats up with Smush Parker?

He seemed to have lost his confidence from the beginning of the series...to a point where Nash is just not guarding him anymore. I remember in the second game (start of 3rd Quarter?) that he posted up Nash twice and scored. Now I don't even see that effort.

Could maybe Jim Jackson step in at the point...or is he just not good anymore?

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just missed out on one of 15 pairs of Game 7 tickets here at work. Oh well, I didnt want to die at the hands of a Suns fan anyway. ;)

A-Bomb