Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ‘Star Wars’ I love won’t be out on DVD

By Craig Outhier, Tribune
September 19, 2004

Someday soon, I fully expect the term "Greedo shoots first" to become a hip media euphemism in the tradition of "jumping the shark" and "wardrobe malfunction." It will come to mean any timid deception designed to deny one of life’s basic, incontestible truths.

For instance, the basic, incontestible truth that Han Solo is one baaaaad hombre.

Let me clarify.

On Tuesday, George Lucas and Fox Home Entertainment will release the original "Star Wars " trilogy on DVD. You’re probably already aware of this, as most Americans have daily interaction with at least one sci-fi/Internet nerd — and for sci-fi/Internet nerds, this is just about the biggest news since Data and Yar did the nasty on "Star Trek: The Next Generation."

It will be a splendorous home video event, perhaps the biggest ever for the DVD format. A source at Fox calls the trilogy "the last of the classic movies unreleased on DVD" and Variety magazine predicts that the box set will be the most popular ever.

And, yet, amid the geek rejoicing, I must confess certain feelings of sourness. You see, the "Star Wars" trilogy so neatly packaged by Fox in a handsome DVD slipcase is not precisely the same the trilogy I and so many other movie fans remember from years ago.

Lucas, flush with an arsenal of computerized specialeffects devices that didn’t exist when he first shot the movies, has made numerous digital alterations to the original prints.

Silly alterations, alterations that subtly but significantly erode the timelessness of "Star Wars."

I’m not talking about the little things, like Luke’s tricked out landspeeder and the brighter, digitally-enhanced lightsabers. What really sticks in my craw are the loud, irritating computer-generated beasts in the Mos Eisley scene in "Star Wars" and, worse still, the ridiculous cantina re-edit that has Han Solo killing Greedo only AFTER the bounty hunter shoots first . . . and somehow misses, from all of two feet.

Granted, many of the digital changes appeared during its theatrical re-release in 1997. That’s not the point. By including the changes in the DVD and offering no unadulterated alternative, Lucas is essentially making this the definitive version of "Star Wars."

Eventually, any existing VHS tapes of the original version will get chewed up by the family dog or simply degrade with time, and future generations will only know a "Star Wars" where Han Solo trusts his life to the impaired shooting abilities of a neoprene green alien.

I realize that in the grand scheme of life, this tragedy ranks rather low compared to, say, the sinking of the Titanic, or Jennifer Gray’s nose job. But think about it: Until Han proves himself as a trusted friend, he’s a slippery, devious character. The new scene messes with his mystique.

Some fans are of the opinion that Lucas is artistically entitled to do whatever he wants with the movies, since he created them. Sorry, but I’m not down with that.

I have much more respect for and fealty to the 1970s Lucas who bucked convention and made movie history, not the tech-addled, latter-day version of the filmmaker who gave us the prequels. Let’s be honest, the prequels are junk, and the DVD changes are depressingly symptomatic of their diminished artistry.

"The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi" are left a bit more pristine — a notable exception being the final shot in "Jedi," where the ghost of Anakin Skywalker (formerly played by actor Sebastian Shaw) has been replaced by Hayden Christensen, who plays the character in the sequels. Lame.

In a broader sense, the "Star Wars" DVDs set a bad precedent. A motion picture should not be looked upon as an evolving piece of art, like theater or a marriage. What if the curator of the Louvre tried to enhance the bust of Leonardo da Vinci’s "Mona Lisa"? Would we stand for it?

Intoxicated by the technological terror of digital special effects, Lucas seems to have lost faith in his original vision. I find his lack of faith disturbing.

:jedi:

Well said, Craig!

BIM

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Nice article.

It almost seems like George Lucas has gone from the "Old Republic" to the "Evil Empire" in a way.

However he started changing Star Wars in 1977 When he added Episode IV A New Hope to the title of the movie once it became a hit. So I don't totally agree that he is a different filmmaker than he was then. He is, however, seemingly more full of himself as he fails to listen to the numerous fans of his movies.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got mine today and made it half way throught episode IV before I had to go to work.

:thewave:

CQ

Recovered WoW-aholic
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
Got mine today and made it half way throught episode IV before I had to go to work.

:thewave:
I'll be watching them after the kids go to bed tonight! :thumbup:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
coupon_queen said:
I'll be watching them after the kids go to bed tonight! :thumbup:
My 4 month old watched most of it with me. She actually stared at the screen the entire time. I'm so proud!
:thumbup:

CQ

Recovered WoW-aholic
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
My 4 month old watched most of it with me. She actually stared at the screen the entire time. I'm so proud!
:thumbup:
Yeah, sadly, my kids are a tiny bit older (3 and 5 years old) and get scared pretty easy. Anything more intense than Sponge Bob is too much for them! :biglaugh:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
coupon_queen said:
Yeah, sadly, my kids are a tiny bit older (3 and 5 years old) and get scared pretty easy. Anything more intense than Sponge Bob is too much for them! :biglaugh:
Star Wars was the first movie I saw in a movie theater. I was like 4 years old at the time.

CQ

Recovered WoW-aholic
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
Star Wars was the first movie I saw in a movie theater. I was like 4 years old at the time.
If I thought my girls could handle it, I'd gladly let them watch it with us! But I know they can't. Maybe in a couple of years! I was so very overly sheltered as a kid, I didn't see Star Wars until they were re-released in the theater right after I got married! (Someone go help BIM, I'm afraid he probably just fainted from shock! LOL!) My hubby on the other hand, saw them as a kid and fell in love. :shelteredchildhood:

CQ

Recovered WoW-aholic
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HeavyB3 said:
HOw much did everyone pay for it...

The two closest stores to me are a best buy and a walmart... who has it cheaper?
At the Walmart at 83rd Ave/Union Hills, I got it for $42.87. I'm sure someone has it for a buck or so cheaper, but I didn't feel like driving around today with the kids. I just wanted to buy it and come home!

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
HeavyB3 said:
HOw much did everyone pay for it...

The two closest stores to me are a best buy and a walmart... who has it cheaper?

WalMart was cheaper. $39.98. Best Buy wanted $51.

I went to Fry's Electronics but they were out of the Widescreen. :hulk:

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
SirChaz said:

CC Has it for 44.99... not too bad, but not worth a half hour drive from my house to my work on a day off.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm approaching this all wrong... :shrug:

Lucas just saved me some money!!

Thanks, George!! :thumbup:

CQ

Recovered WoW-aholic
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
Maybe I'm approaching this all wrong... :shrug:

Lucas just saved me some money!!

Thanks, George!! :thumbup:

:biglaugh: Good job looking at the positive side! :thumbup:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HeavyB3 said:
So I take it you aren't going to buy it.

Nope.

And I'm a diehard SW fan.

Saw the OT in the theaters countless times and on vhs as well.

I have all of my old action figures from the 70's/80's and nearly all of the new ones.

Lego sets, cups, posters, art books, cards, CCG cards, sheets, comforters, towels, hats, etc...

Avatar, signature, well - you get the idea.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
[jedimindtrick]These are the movies you are looking for [/jedimindtrick]

CQ

Recovered WoW-aholic
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey BIM, isn't there someway you can dub your old VHS onto DVD so you won't wear out the VHS tapes? How many copies do you own? Maybe you should buy a few copies of the old tapes on ebay so you can always have a copy that isn't all stretched and overviewed. :thumbup:

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
coupon_queen said:
Hey BIM, isn't there someway you can dub your old VHS onto DVD so you won't wear out the VHS tapes?

I'm not BIM but I'll answer the question. Yes he can do that if he has a DVD recorder. However there is a stipulation, in order for it to record from the VCR the tape must be non-commercial tape (otherwise you get an error message due to copyright protection). I guess he could still try it with the commercial tapes but more than likely it wouldn't be able to record.

So BIM there is hope yet just as long as you have patience and some money. :thumbup:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
SirChaz said:

I got mine at Best Buy for $42. They don't put a sale sticker on the box. You have to look for the sign on the shelf to see if it is on sale.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously, did Lucas really change that much that they are no longer enjoyable? I just watched the first half of Episode IV, the Video was clear and the Surround sound was Amazing. You are missing out on half of the experience if you watch them on VHS.

If you hate the extra scenes so bad then just fast foward through them.

:doi:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort