That’s Why You Fire Kliff

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, using altitude training masks occasionally for three weeks (haven't seen them once on Hard Knocks but still) is exactly the same as actually being at altitude 24 hours a day.

The exact same.

To be clear I'm not saying that's why we lost, they were just much better than us. But when the entire narrative right now is the QB doesn't prepare himself it's hard not to ask if maybe that should extend to the coaching staff deciding NOT to try and acclimate the team to the altitude?

Seems like that's a lack of preparation too.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
local Bay area media already talking about how the 49ers offensive line said the Cards defense was exhausted in the 2nd half and they weren't and assumed it was related to the altitude. So now I guess we get a week of speculation did the Cards get boatraced in part because they decided NOT to try and acclimate to the altitude?

How do the 49ers feel about the altitude now? Do they feel like the trip to Colorado has helped?

"Yesterday, we kind of felt it a lot because we was able to get a lot out of practice," wide receiver Deebo Samuel said. "But today, we felt it a little bit with one full-speed period. But I feel like we'll be ready to go."

Shanahan, who hasn't had to endure going through any practices himself, is not immune to the altitude's impact. He admitted that he was " a little out of breath" just climbing the stairs after Saturday's practice to meet with reporters.

"We were at Denver a little bit over a month ago, and you can feel the altitude there, but being at Air Force, it's two thousand feet higher, and it's a big difference," Shanahan said. "... We had our biggest practice on [Friday], and that's where they really felt it. [Thursday] was not quite as much, and today was not quite as much. But [Friday], they really felt it then, and that was the first time they were like, 'Oh, this is pretty real.'"
Well, Keim and Kingsbury said they "did their research" and it would take two weeks to acclimate. As a hiker, that is BS - 1-3 days will give you a huge amount of acclimation.

They had a place to go, two hours north. They failed to do so.

Major oversight

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Well, Keim and Kingsbury said they "did their research" and it would take two weeks to acclimate. As a hiker, that is BS - 1-3 days will give you a huge amount of acclimation.

Major oversight
Apparently Keim put as much effort into his altitude research as he does his draft research.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Have you ever wondered how Keim and Kliffy first got connected? Perhaps that story has already been written, but I don't recall seeing it. I believe it likely went down like this:

Keim is in search of the next Head Coach... Kliffy, after being jettisoned by the perennial juggernaut that is Texas Tech, has just agreed to be the OC at USC, but, the AZ Cards are looking for a new head coach. Kliffy's agent calls Kliffy and says, "Hey bro, the trend in the NFL is to go young! Look at McVay! You can do this bro!" Kliffy of course agrees...I mean, just look at what he did at Texas Tech! Why wouldn't he see himself as NFL Head Coach material!

Agent contacts Keim...And, with all his hubris, over-blown ego and narcissism fully at play, Keim, believing he was gifted with the next young brilliant mind, jumps all over Kliffy. Never stopping to perform proper diligence... Totally looks away from the multitude of flaws found in Kliffy...a guy who, unlike McVay, had never coached at any level in the NFL. But the brilliance of Keim knew better! Steve Keim can see things in people most mere mortals can't.

After a highly suspect and questionable first 3 years of Kliffy's NFL coaching career, he gets extended! And for that, I simply have no answers...other than to say Thank You AZ Cards for extending Kliffy, as that single act is what forced me to cough-up my season tickets, sparing me from the pain & agony of witnessing this mess in person!

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Have you ever wondered how Keim and Kliffy first got connected? Perhaps that story has already been written, but I don't recall seeing it. I believe it likely went down like this:

Keim is in search of the next Head Coach... Kliffy, after being jettisoned by the perennial juggernaut that is Texas Tech, has just agreed to be the OC at USC, but, the AZ Cards are looking for a new head coach. Kliffy's agent calls Kliffy and says, "Hey bro, the trend in the NFL is to go young! Look at McVay! You can do this bro!" Kliffy of course agrees...I mean, just look at what he did at Texas Tech! Why wouldn't he see himself as NFL Head Coach material!

Agent contacts Keim...And, with all his hubris, over-blown ego and narcissism fully at play, Keim, believing he was gifted with the next young brilliant mind, jumps all over Kliffy. Never stopping to perform proper diligence... Totally looks away from the multitude of flaws found in Kliffy...a guy who, unlike McVay, had never coached at any level in the NFL. But the brilliance of Keim knew better! Steve Keim can see things in people most mere mortals can't.

After a highly suspect and questionable first 3 years of Kliffy's NFL coaching career, he gets extended! And for that, I simply have no answers...other than to say Thank You AZ Cards for extending Kliffy, as that single act is what forced me to cough-up my season tickets, sparing me from the pain & agony of witnessing this mess in person!
Don't forget the part where Kliff was a consultant for McVay and that McVay actually wanted hire him permanently, but Kliff chose USC. The media took the hiring to be part of the, If he's good enough for McVay he's good enough for the NFL, narrative.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No doubt they both waxed poetically about the upcoming gridiron conquests over a bottle of whatever was within Keim's reach.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Keim was on Instagram checking out hot models and in this one pic she was standing next to Kliff and Keim said "I gotta hire that guy."

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Major oversight
Even if it was two weeks . . . THEN DO TWO WEEKS JACKWADS!

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score

Major oversight
I can picture these two morons browsing Reddit or something for elevation acclimation techniques. Joke of an organization.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can picture these two morons browsing Reddit or something for elevation acclimation techniques. Joke of an organization.
Speaking of the organization. Nick Bosa:

Nick Bosa shined the spotlight on 49ers owner John York for green-lighting the 49ers’ next-level preparations heading into the Cardinals tilt that was held in Mexico City. San Francisco trained in Colorado at altitude to simulate conditions in Estadio Azteca, which stands at more than seven thousand feet above sea level, via David Brandt of AP:

AD
“(Owner) John York got the game ball,” Niners defensive end Joey Bosa said. “For him to put us in that situation and spend the money you have to spend to do something like that is why the Niners are a winning franchise.”

Although subtle, agreeing to such a move on the off chance that it helps impact the 49ers positively shows just how committed the franchise and its owner are to trying to win. Bosa attested to needing that extra level of preparation given the “brutal” conditions they faced.

“It was brutal,” Nick Bosa added. “Three full-speed reps and you’re hurting. It does get better throughout the game and I think we did a good job sticking with it.”

The Cardinals didn’t proceed with any extra measures for their training, as they ultimately decided to stay in Arizona ahead of the matchup. While it’s probably not the biggest reason behind the lopsided result, Nick Bosa believes it at least played a part in the 49ers’ victory.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of the organization. Nick Bosa:

Nick Bosa shined the spotlight on 49ers owner John York for green-lighting the 49ers’ next-level preparations heading into the Cardinals tilt that was held in Mexico City. San Francisco trained in Colorado at altitude to simulate conditions in Estadio Azteca, which stands at more than seven thousand feet above sea level, via David Brandt of AP:

AD
“(Owner) John York got the game ball,” Niners defensive end Joey Bosa said. “For him to put us in that situation and spend the money you have to spend to do something like that is why the Niners are a winning franchise.”

Although subtle, agreeing to such a move on the off chance that it helps impact the 49ers positively shows just how committed the franchise and its owner are to trying to win. Bosa attested to needing that extra level of preparation given the “brutal” conditions they faced.

“It was brutal,” Nick Bosa added. “Three full-speed reps and you’re hurting. It does get better throughout the game and I think we did a good job sticking with it.”

The Cardinals didn’t proceed with any extra measures for their training, as they ultimately decided to stay in Arizona ahead of the matchup. While it’s probably not the biggest reason behind the lopsided result, Nick Bosa believes it at least played a part in the 49ers’ victory.
Wait I thought we had masks.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I’m sorry, but this needs to be bumped after our “two minute offense” had a chance to take a 20-7 lead into half before we decided to run the ball twice. Then to make it worse, we use our last timeout with 40 seconds left to leave them enough time to kick a FG making it 13-10. Not an offensive coordinator. Not a head coach.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m sorry, but this needs to be bumped after our “two minute offense” had a chance to take a 20-7 lead into half before we decided to run the ball twice. Then to make it worse, we use our last timeout with 40 seconds left to leave them enough time to kick a FG making it 13-10. Not an offensive coordinator. Not a head coach.

Don't be sorry!

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Posted in game thread but...

The entire coaching sequence here made zero sense.

- Started at 41 with 1:43 and a TO left
- inside pass to McBride and clock keeps running
- 2nd and 5, inside run Conner and clock runs
- 3rd and 1, another inside run and clock runs with 52 seconds left

Here’s where it gets really, really dumb: Kliff for whatever reason lets another 18 seconds burn off the clock before using his last timeout with 35 seconds left and around 20 on the play clock (Belichick wasn’t going to use his). This essentially has taken any chance of a TD out of play before half even if we get the first. But also left enough time were we not to get the first down, allows for NE with their full allotment of timeouts to get into FG range.

Either let it run all the way and kick a FG or you instantly call TO and go so you still have plenty of time to move the ball down the field for better FG position or a TD. Of course we know the true reason this happened, Kliff panicked and didn't know what to do one play ahead. No plan ahead in case the 3rd and 1 didn't work. Typical deer in headlights and cost us 3-6 points.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I can't believe Kliff was still going for it on 4th down with 3 minutes left, the game out of reach and a 35-year-old QB who had been getting pummeled the entire game taking snaps. It seemed like he was trying to somehow justify his earlier failed decisions to go for it on 4th down. Colt nearly got his head taken off in the process.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Posted in game thread but...

The entire coaching sequence here made zero sense.

- Started at 41 with 1:43 and a TO left
- inside pass to McBride and clock keeps running
- 2nd and 5, inside run Conner and clock runs
- 3rd and 1, another inside run and clock runs with 52 seconds left

Here’s where it gets really, really dumb: Kliff for whatever reason lets another 18 seconds burn off the clock before using his last timeout with 35 seconds left and around 20 on the play clock (Belichick wasn’t going to use his). This essentially has taken any chance of a TD out of play before half even if we get the first. But also left enough time were we not to get the first down, allows for NE with their full allotment of timeouts to get into FG range.

Either let it run all the way and kick a FG or you instantly call TO and go so you still have plenty of time to move the ball down the field for better FG position or a TD. Of course we know the true reason this happened, Kliff panicked and didn't know what to do one play ahead. No plan ahead in case the 3rd and 1 didn't work. Typical deer in headlights and cost us 3-6 points.
This was a particularly embarrassing cycle.

I noticed that Kliff was fine-tuning various aspects of his offense from year to year during his first two seasons. I figured that this year he'd be dialing in his two-minute offense and management in crunch time.

I can't divine what he was actually working on this offseason. It seems like everyone decided to take a victory lap instead of trying to get better. Can you imagine after that collapse?