That’s Why You Fire Kliff

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hell I’m just starting to believe in KK, I liked the early balance, finally got some run practice in. Chase aint a bell vow, like to see what Connor could do after 20 carries.

This is the problem with Kliff.

In the previous 2 games when The RB's were getting good yards he run the ball less. Yesterday when the RB's were getting poor yards he ran the ball more.

It makes no sense. He does the opposite of what a HC should be doing and against what is a poor Jags secondary, with the weapons we have, we should have been throwing it more than before. Not less.

CAR
YDSAVGTDLONG
James Conner11433.9211
Chase Edmonds11262.407
Kyler Murray7192.719
Rondale Moore133.003

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kliff is not going to get fired. Not at 3-0 and likely never in season now.

At the same time, Kliff is not a good coach. This team is winning on pure talent despite coaching, not because of it. With Murray, Nuk, Kirk, Green and Moore we have one of the best passing skill player groups in the league. We have 2 solid RB's. We have a decent, if not great defense.

Obviously the FG kick was dumb in that situation. If you are down 2 scores or time is running out you can get away with going for it, but if you do you have a personnel package that can tackle the return man. Going for it at 7-7 with the half over was just insanely bad and I bet half of us were thinking "This is getting returned for a TD".

But there were other specific bad decisions besides some generally poor play calling and not choosing to challenge an obvious 1st down.

I know some will argue this point because it was successful but there was a 4th and 1 with 8:18 to go in the 4th quarter up 24-19 that just didn't make sense to me from a head coaching perspective. In that situation the odds say you kick the short FG. I think most other HC's in the league kick the FG. It puts you up 8 with 8 minutes to play. You will get at least 1 more drive yourself and you trust your defense to stop a bad Jags team getting 8 points and stopping you scoring again.

If the Jags stop you there on 4th it gives them a boost and momentum and you are only up 5. Plus, Kliff tried to Kliff himself by calling a TO before the snap which was missed and we got the 1st down anyway.

Kliff, for me, thinks any drive that doesn't end in a TD is a failure and he makes bad decisions that could effect the outcome of games. He especially does that when he feels his offense isn't firing on all cylinders. As if one more play will solve the problem. Which is ironic as it only means the play is less likely to work.

This team could be a 12-5 team. It has the talent. The coaching is a massive dead weight around it's neck.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also what was up with Rondale Moore usage? He's coming off a breakout game against a bad team with bad DB's and Kliff played him on 13% of snaps in the first half.

Only ran 13 routes the whole game.

I'm sure Kliff out thinks himself.

"They will be expecting lots of Rondale Moore so I won't use him. Eat that suckers!"

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As of today even with Kliff’s faults I don’t see any currently available coaching candidates that are actually an improvement over Kliff.

I still would keep Kliff over half of the current HCs in this league.

Unless we regress I don’t see a reason to change coaches and start a rebuild again. That will set us back even more.
That's the problem with getting rid of him

Who do we replace him with?

And do we trust SK to make that decision?

The6

All Star
Reaction score
Kliff is not going to get fired. Not at 3-0 and likely never in season now.

At the same time, Kliff is not a good coach. This team is winning on pure talent despite coaching, not because of it. With Murray, Nuk, Kirk, Green and Moore we have one of the best passing skill player groups in the league. We have 2 solid RB's. We have a decent, if not great defense.

Obviously the FG kick was dumb in that situation. If you are down 2 scores or time is running out you can get away with going for it, but if you do you have a personnel package that can tackle the return man. Going for it at 7-7 with the half over was just insanely bad and I bet half of us were thinking "This is getting returned for a TD".

But there were other specific bad decisions besides some generally poor play calling and not choosing to challenge an obvious 1st down.

I know some will argue this point because it was successful but there was a 4th and 1 with 8:18 to go in the 4th quarter up 24-19 that just didn't make sense to me from a head coaching perspective. In that situation the odds say you kick the short FG. I think most other HC's in the league kick the FG. It puts you up 8 with 8 minutes to play. You will get at least 1 more drive yourself and you trust your defense to stop a bad Jags team getting 8 points and stopping you scoring again.

If the Jags stop you there on 4th it gives them a boost and momentum and you are only up 5. Plus, Kliff tried to Kliff himself by calling a TO before the snap which was missed and we got the 1st down anyway.

Kliff, for me, thinks any drive that doesn't end in a TD is a failure and he makes bad decisions that could effect the outcome of games. He especially does that when he feels his offense isn't firing on all cylinders. As if one more play will solve the problem. Which is ironic as it only means the play is less likely to work.

This team could be a 12-5 team. It has the talent. The coaching is a massive dead weight around it's neck.
You're bang on. Beautifully said

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is the problem with Kliff.

In the previous 2 games when The RB's were getting good yards he run the ball less. Yesterday when the RB's were getting poor yards he ran the ball more.

It makes no sense. He does the opposite of what a HC should be doing and against what is a poor Jags secondary, with the weapons we have, we should have been throwing it more than before. Not less.

CAR
YDSAVGTDLONG
James Conner11433.9211
Chase Edmonds11262.407
Kyler Murray7192.719
Rondale Moore133.003
I think those 3rd and shorts we didnt convert threw us off.

I dont think it was just not throwing. I think it was the lack of tempo. A team thin at corner like that we should have been heavy tempo. Dont allow them to change personnel so often and we would have gashed them. I loved the 2 minute drive where they caught the Jags with 12 men on the field.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

The devil you know is better than the one you dont know.

Im fearful of Keim picking another coach with Kyler just at the midpoint of his development. He'll probably overrcorrect and get a Greg Schiano type. Unless you're getting Daboll or Joe Brady then Kliff needs to come back.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

There are plenty off good coaching candidates around with NFL experience.

Assuming they go offensive again there's Brian Daboll, Pete Carmichael, Joe Brady, Nathaniel Hackett. You could have your pick because guys would jump over each other to coach this offensive roster.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A friend of mine, a Patriot's fan, but reads a lot of team message boards, doesn't think much of Kliff, but does like SK except for his coaching hires, but thinks less of the posters on this board. "They have a passion, but just don't know much about NFL football." His conclusion, they don't compare to the average fandom of most NFL teams, and he can't believe how many of the following posts he reads that start with:
1. I hope I'm wrong, but.
2. Well, I guess, I'll be eating crow on this one.
He concludes with, the Arizona fanbase is better than the Jets, but only slightly.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
This call is just another in a long line of reasons to fire Kliff. I personally believe most of our success this season has been off script so....... There's another.

With that being said. He's got the season to figure this out. I personally feel we are going to be 4-4 through 8 so that's when the darksiders should really be out in force. Not when we are 3-0.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This call is just another in a long line of reasons to fire Kliff. I personally believe most of our success this season has been off script so....... There's another.

With that being said. He's got the season to figure this out. I personally feel we are going to be 4-4 through 8 so that's when the darksiders should really be out in force. Not when we are 3-0.
How much is that due to Kyler bailing out of clean pockets though?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m not even fond of Kliff & you won’t see me defending him much, but I always hated the notion of when everything goes right, praise everyone but Kliff, but when everything goes wrong, slander no one but Kliff.

That’s not only Kliff, but goes for anybody, too.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kliff is Andy Reid from the '00s. Situation management? Yikes. Clock management? Complete train wreck beyond description. But... his team seems to compete in every game they play, his players like him, and the overall gameplaning seems like a plus. The competing in every game is a bit of a double edged sword as we also seem to be willing to dump into the garbage pile when we play the trash.

If my comparison is accurate I hope that Kliff can overcome his problems much quicker than the 15-20 years it took Andy Reid.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Obviously, the FG call was utter nonsense, but the thing that bothers me is, 2 weeks in a row Murray has thrown a deep ball completed to about the 12 yard line. This week to AJ, last week to Kirk. Both times the Cards had to burn a TO after the play for no apparent reason. It's almost like, oh crap, we completed that. What do we do next and don't have a subsequent play ready to go and capitalize on it. Losing those TO's is going to be an issue at some point.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
As of today even with Kliff’s faults I don’t see any currently available coaching candidates that are actually an improvement over Kliff.

I still would keep Kliff over half of the current HCs in this league.

Unless we regress I don’t see a reason to change coaches and start a rebuild again. That will set us back even more.

There would be a lot of qualified candidates who'd want a chance to work with Kyler Murray.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kliff is Andy Reid from the '00s. Situation management? Yikes. Clock management? Complete train wreck beyond description. But... his team seems to compete in every game they play, his players like him, and the overall gameplaning seems like a plus. The competing in every game is a bit of a double edged sword as we also seem to be willing to dump into the garbage pile when we play the trash.

If my comparison is accurate I hope that Kliff can overcome his problems much quicker than the 15-20 years it took Andy Reid.

Watched the Niners game earlier and couldn't help thinking that Kliff is a dollar store Shanny. Both have the same pro's and con's and Kliff is just that bit worse at the cons and Shanny that bit better at the pro's.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When Kliff asked his buddy Sean McVay for some tips on coaching in this league, his good friend McVay sent him this:

You must be registered for see images attach

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

I hope Kliff is 20% the coach Andy Reid is lol.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
When Kliff asked his buddy Sean McVay for some tips on coaching in this league, his good friend McVay sent him this:

You must be registered for see images attach
He’s using soccer plays, which explains why he was kicking towards the goal from midfield