Texas Hoops coach Beard arrested on domestic violence allegation

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beard was taken into custody this morning in Austin Texas. From early reports he apparently is accused of domestic violence against a family member, the allegation says "strangulation" and it's apparently his daughter that's the victim. Early reports are she came home late, he got mad and someone ended up having to place a 911 call to stop him.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, there goes his once promising career. Hopefully the daughter is fine and that he can get the help he needs.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of suspicion he'll be suspended and could actually get fired.

I know at the time I mentioned he was one of the UCLA targets to replace ALford but then we dropped him and were told it was because he "had skeletons" and didn't pass the vetting process.

So I am guessing this is connected

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Texas media says it was the fiance not his daughter and now his lawyer is saying the whole thing is made up, the complainant doesn't want to press charges, he should have never been arrested etc. Sounds like someone read the clause in his contract that said if he gets charged with a felony they have to fire him and decided they better get the victim to not press charges.

Beard's attorney, Perry Minton of Austin, told The Austin American-Statesman, "Coach Beard is 100 percent innocent of these charges. He should have never been arrested. The complainant wants him released immediately and all charges dismissed. It is truly inconceivable."

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hearing from a personal source, who had a child very close to the program at Texas Tech that there was domestic violence in the situation in Lubbock, but it was the girlfriend who was the perpetrator

Again, this is secondhand information, so take it for what it’s worth.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And yes, a situation similar happened to a good friend of mine where the wife was the one that was hitting him. He tried to stop her by blocking her blows. She fell backwards, broke her wrist, but the police automatically arrested him.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And yes, a situation similar happened to a good friend of mine where the wife was the one that was hitting him. He tried to stop her by blocking her blows. She fell backwards, broke her wrist, but the police automatically arrested him.
That happens more than some would think.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is the Tech situation not the Texas one or the Texas one?

What's coming out now is he not only tried to strangle her, he bit her. Texas has suspended him and there's apparently some booster push to fire him but as always they're trying to figure out how to do it without harming recruiting because they have a great class coming in.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Details from the police report below. I bolded the part where Beard says he has recordings that will clear him. He bit her!

--------

Details from the report - an officer responded to a 911 call at just after midnight and was met at the door by a woman who identified herself as Beard's fiancée. The woman told the officer that she and Beard had been upset with each other for several days over relationship issues. Asked by the officer if the argument turned physical, the woman, according to police, said yes. "He just snapped on me and became super violent," she said, according to the affidavit.

The woman said she took Beard's reading glasses from his hand and broke them. Beard, she told police, then slapped her glasses from her face.

Then Beard, "choked me, threw me off the bed, bit me, bruises all over my leg, throwing me around, and going nuts" she said, according to the affidavit.

The woman told police that Beard put an arm around her neck while he was behind her and choked her for five seconds, impeding her breathing.

Beard, while police were on scene, said he had audio recordings of the incident that show he was not the primary aggressor. Police say Beard was not willing to share the recordings.

The following injuries were visible on the woman, according to the affidavit: bite mark to the right forearm, abrasion to the right eyebrow, abrasion to the left leg from the knee to the foot, and a cut to the left thumb with dried blood. In an additional statement, the woman complained of scratches on her back and her right eye, a bite mark to her right arm, an abrasion and bruises to her left leg, and a cut to her left hand.

Texas men's basketball coach Chris Beard suspended without pay after assault arrest