Ted Lasso

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Just started season 1. Fantastic! I love that Ted is so overwhelmingly positive without being an idiot.
Hmm, maybe someday I'll have to give it a re-try. My problem in episode 1 was that he was just a goober moron like in the commercials, which was a fun schtick for a commercial but wouldn't carry a show. How soon does it transition to sweet dummy without him being an idiot?

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stout, it just does. You can see the gears grinding in his head from time to time.

I loved the Christmas episode, and for some reason have actually watched it 3 times. I think my favorite part is when the two players are playing nerf guns in Higgins' house.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Hmm, maybe someday I'll have to give it a re-try. My problem in episode 1 was that he was just a goober moron like in the commercials, which was a fun schtick for a commercial but wouldn't carry a show. How soon does it transition to sweet dummy without him being an idiot?
Give it another shot. This has become my favorite show. Like friends and the good place I just enjoy every character. It’s a huge departure from all the violence, anti-hero, world going down the pooper, that permeates everything these days. Maybe a tad bit saccharine. But they pull you back with Ted’s back story or Rebecca’s travails with her ex. Just really heart warming and funny.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, I enjoyed the Xmas episode but didn’t love it. If anything I think it was one of their worst episodes. Both coach and Nathan are essentially written out and they play crucial roles in the show bouncing along imo.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, I enjoyed the Xmas episode but didn’t love it. If anything I think it was one of their worst episodes. Both coach and Nathan are essentially written out and they play crucial roles in the show bouncing along imo.
When you say coach, do you mean Beard?

I think it draws heavily on how easy it is for Christmas to be a terrible time for depressed and lonely people, but there is always someone or something to help you along the way. Ted is going to have to face his depression at some point, but it's nice to not see it manifest during Christmas, which is really cliched.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
When you say coach, do you mean Beard?

I think it draws heavily on how easy it is for Christmas to be a terrible time for depressed and lonely people, but there is always someone or something to help you along the way. Ted is going to have to face his depression at some point, but it's nice to not see it manifest during Christmas, which is really cliched.
Yes, Beard.

and I fully understood the concept of the episode. I just didn’t think it was great. Of course I now have a high standard for the show due to the expectations it’s built for me.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yes, Beard.

and I fully understood the concept of the episode. I just didn’t think it was great. Of course I now have a high standard for the show due to the expectations it’s built for me.
We'll agree to disagree on this one. I thought it was amongst the best Christmas episodes of any show in television history.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We laugh at just about every scene with Roy in it so we loved the episode.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We'll agree to disagree on this one. I thought it was amongst the best Christmas episodes of any show in television history.
Wow. Well, glad it hit home with you. Maybe it wasn’t as impactful to me as it’s august. Difficult to find myself in its spirit.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Wow. Well, glad it hit home with you. Maybe it wasn’t as impactful to me as it’s august. Difficult to find myself in its spirit.
I can understand that. Wonder what your thoughts would be if you watch it again during the Christmas season?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I can understand that. Wonder what your thoughts would be if you watch it again during the Christmas season?
Perhaps. Also maybe when we haven’t binged almost all of seasons 1 and 2 to date so I don’t have all the direct points of comparison.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I can do without hearing Ted Lasso sing again anytime soon.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

It was a good episode but didn't fully hit home with me either. I think a big part of it was Christmas in August. That just felt off to me while watching it. I think it would have played better with me if it was released in November or December.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just finished the last episode of Season One. Absolutely outstanding! Perfect ending to the season. Can't wait to dive into Season Two!!!

(the show is up for 20 Emmys!)

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fiancée and I also just finished up Season 1. It's such a good watch - a little bit of drama, fun, enjoyable characters, unexpected dialogue, etc.,

Roy is a scene stealer for me and Keely's off-color remarks are spit-take worthy.

Love, love this show.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’d be really curious to hear from someone that gave this a full seasons go that didn’t like it. I mean, I’m not actively searching for negativity, but I’m always curious to hear a contrarian opinion about something that is seemingly so universally loved.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I’d be really curious to hear from someone that gave this a full seasons go that didn’t like it. I mean, I’m not actively searching for negativity, but I’m always curious to hear a contrarian opinion about something that is seemingly so universally loved.
I'm sure they're out there but I haven't seen them. It's really surprising since myself and most of the people I follow/are friends with can be hypercritical of movies and shows. Usually at least one person complains about something but I haven't seen it with Ted.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

same. It made me feel like it was Christmas time in August.

@Ouchie-Z-Clown just has no soul.

Or grass from the Cardinals San Diego 1998 game that got us into the playoffs.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
same. It made me feel like it was Christmas time in August.

@Ouchie-Z-Clown just has no soul.

Or grass from the Cardinals San Diego 1998 game that got us into the playoffs.
It’s interesting to see how some people view media. Me personally, it doesn’t have to be Christmas. Good movies and tv transport you to their world and make you forget the one you actually live in. Stranger Things is especially good at that, and so is Ted Lasso.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was a great episode regardless but I admit it would have been more magical closer to Christmas for me. I feel that way about any shows doing a Christmas episode.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It’s interesting to see how some people view media. Me personally, it doesn’t have to be Christmas. Good movies and tv transport you to their world and make you forget the one you actually live in. Stranger Things is especially good at that, and so is Ted Lasso.
If generally agree. Maybe the fact that this episode couldn’t do that for me says something about it’s limitations (with me).

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Here’s something unexpected… I’ve been invested in Ted Lasso for a few weeks now, but last night I watched an episode of The Boys, and it was so horribly mean spirited! I guess I just didn’t notice it as much when I saw it in me pre-Lasso days. I felt horrible after watching it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson