Getting a refund? Owing?

Filing on Feb 14 or filing late?

Let's discuss!

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Filing Feb 14th Owe a 1000.00 and I am not pleased.

Made 17,000 less this year than the previous year. Wife made about 4,000 more than last. So a negative of 13K. Last tax year I got 200.00 bucks back. How the hell do I owe this year? Fuming over it.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Filing Feb 14th Owe a 1000.00 and I am not pleased.

Made 17,000 less this year than the previous year. Wife made about 4,000 more than last. So a negative of 13K. Last tax year I got 200.00 bucks back. How the hell do I owe this year? Fuming over it.

Could have been worse. You could have got the simplified tax form :)

Attachments

• taxform.jpg
    taxform.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 119

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also for some reason there is an extension this year on when some financial institutions have to provide you with tax statements. I can't even start to prepare mine before Feb 15.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not totally done need my sisters help on my stock transactions(carry over loss from last year) but right now looks like I owe about $900 to FED and get about 50 back from state.

All things considered I'm ok with it. Had I started working even a month or 6 weeks earlier I'd have probably broken even but not doing that I usually didn't have tax witheld from unemployment thus I owe.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's with the Feb 14th date thing anyhow?

It's Valentine's Day, it's kind of a tradition to go on a "date".

Although maybe not in Missouri. :)

JTS

But as far as taxes go, the subtle changes in withholding amounts in 2010 put a few more bucks in people's paychecks which was nice except if you made over a certain threshold and then you have to pay the "discount" back. Surprise! :)

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
It's Valentine's Day, it's kind of a tradition to go on a "date".

Although maybe not in Missouri. :)

JTS

But as far as taxes go, the subtle changes in withholding amounts in 2010 put a few more bucks in people's paychecks which was nice except if you made over a certain threshold and then you have to pay the "discount" back. Surprise! :)

Government tax logic example, Your 18 year old kid ceases to be a dependent in terms of the child tax credit, BUT..... for purposes of qualifying for government aid for college, they are considered dependent on you.

Until they get married, then they are immediately independent.

So that's how this all relates back to Valentines day, .gov playing cupid, which is very sweet.:D

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never adjusted my withholding after buying my house in February. Refund is around 8500

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My tax lady will be e-filing tomorrow - getting $1923 back. $404 from the state and $1519 from the Feds. Thanks to my house and student loan interest.

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
I'm not getting squat back this year. Even with my mortgage interest I'm still better off taking the standard deduction, at least as far as turbotax knows... :(

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't done mine yet, but will do so this weekend. I am anticipating getting less than last year. That's fine, just so long as I don't owe anything.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Estimating I owe about $3,800 this year. Will filing an extension fo sho.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We got back over a grand in State (already filed & got the refund), and we're getting around $4k (iirc) from the feds. Already filed, but there was some issue with dcr's son's ssn (which is odd, since the data was just imported from last year's filing), so it's going to take longer. Sigh.