Suns @ Warriors Friday game thread 12-3-2021

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There were videos of this dude eating Big Macs on the sidelines before games.

He’s super talented but he’s far from a perfect player. All these guys have flaws expect for a small few

You are making me hungry. I think I'm going to give him a call and see if we can go out for a snack.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I have to say that given how many games Devin has missed and how poorly he and CP3 started the season and how soft Ayton is and how horrible Cam Payne has been and how invisible Cam Johnson has been and how incredibly bad Shamet has been and how weak Bridges has been offensively and how lousy Nader has played and how inconsistent Crowder has been and how incredibly bad Payton is and how injured Frank Kaminsky has been and how poorly Monty has coached in addition to all the Sarver-related distractions we're awfully lucky that McGee signed with us.
Lol. I think you’re off on monty. He hasn’t really attracted much negative attention (maybe at beginning of season?)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol. I think you’re off on monty. He hasn’t really attracted much negative attention (maybe at beginning of season?)
With our record there's been far less opportunity to pile on to any player or coach but Monty's taken some hits in the game day threads, including our most recent game.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of diet Luka is 260 lbs now.

It showed tonight during the Nets-Mavericks game. I kept thinking he might benefit from a diet like Jokic.

Still he is so good even at that weight.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With our record there's been far less opportunity to pile on to any player or coach but Monty's taken some hits in the game day threads, including our most recent game.

A lot of fans get hung up on when Monty calls timeouts, also when McGee should enter the game and why Monty is playing Wainright.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Except for Ayton since his numbers either went down or were stagnant after adding CP3 last year.

His role on the team has changed and he’s excelled in that role but that requires knowing basketball. Wouldn’t you agree.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A lot of fans get hung up on when Monty calls timeouts, also when McGee should enter the game and why Monty is playing Wainright.

Monty does a lot of real head scratching things.

He flat out refused to make adjustments in the finals. Coach Bud killed him

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His role on the team has changed and he’s excelled in that role but that requires knowing basketball. Wouldn’t you agree.

He's stepped up defensively but has regressed offensively. The offense isn't run through him but if he made himself more available then his teammates would find him for more scoring opportunities.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's stepped up defensively but has regressed offensively. The offense isn't run through him but if he made himself more available then his teammates would find him for more scoring opportunities.

His numbers show he has not regressed he’s just not getting the attempts of the past because the TEAM is much better

Devin Bookers offensive average is down from before we got Chris Paul also. I guess he’s also regressed huh. Lol

You actually have to understand basketball to know why two guys like this have had there scoring drop

The TEAM is much better. More shots to go around. There is only one basketball and they have done a great job of slotting guys into roles. It’s like a machine everybody plays a part that caters to there strength.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Suns didn't have any answers for Giannis especially with Booker and Paul hurting and then they lost Saric.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Eh I think it’s been super light on him this year. Even with my comment that he was slow on the timeout the other night that was the only time I’ve said this year. In prior years (even last year) it was much more common. My only criticism of him is his playing wainwright. Doesn’t have a choice with shamet. But ish is, well . . . ish.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

While you’re not wrong I think he was pretty hamstrung in terms of the changes he could make with limited bigs and having his two primary playmakers injured. Admittedly (even by him), he likely should’ve gone to frank a bit more. But I’m uncertain that would’ve made a serious difference (could have given the slim margins of defeat).

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
While you’re not wrong I think he was pretty hamstrung in terms of the changes he could make with limited bigs and having his two primary playmakers injured. Admittedly (even by him), he likely should’ve gone to frank a bit more. But I’m uncertain that would’ve made a serious difference (could have given the slim margins of defeat).

I would of like to at least attempt to build a wall to stop Giannis.

I would of liked to see Booker bring it up court more often it was very clear Paul was struggling with that full court press of Holidays.

The last two games especially it was a lot of iso guys stopped moving and passing.

I think Paul should of been pulled in some of those games. Payne was clearly the better option at times.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would of liked to see Booker bring it up court more often it was very clear Paul was struggling with that full court press of Holidays.

The last two games especially it was a lot of iso guys stopped moving and passing.

I think Paul should of been pulled in some of those games. Payne was clearly the better option at times.
Payne had a sprained ankle I believe and Booker was hobbled by his hamstring. Cam couldn't cut and Booker would have been a turnover machine against their guards.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Agree with both Steve and Eric. Book would have been a turnover machine at less than 100% carrying significant more lead guard duties. Payne never seemed 100% after the ankle and though mercurial performances early with Paul’s Covid the more extended minutes he got the less effective the team was. And they did try to form a wall, just unsuccessfully as it was often smaller players which equaled smaller less effective wall.

In the heat of the finals it was easy to be upset about what was perceived as monty’s failings, but being able to look back at it with a little more objectivity with the help of more information about books and Paul’s conditions I just think monty did close to the best he could with hand he was dealt. Losing saric and having Paul’s litany of injuries robbed the team of its primary playmaker - the stick that stirred the drink - and an integral member of the second team that was often responsible as the glue guy of that unit and another big to throw giannis’ path.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Suns did try to build a wall to stop Giannis but Ayton was the Suns primary big, Saric was out and Kaminsky had fallen out of favor with Monty.

There are only so many fouls to go around with his onslaught to the rim. Also the Bucks had more size upfront with Lopez, Portis and Giannis.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I look back at the ends of games 4 and 5 and it makes my stomach churn. We basically ran the same play, Paul running it in game 4, Booker running it in game 5, both times as soon as they dribbled inside the arc they got pressed hard and lost the ball.

We score a basket on either play and we are likely playing a game 7, at home for the NBA title... we score on both and we are the NBA champion in game 5. Even typing that hurts.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I recognized he had limited choices. I wanted to see more Kaminsky and Carter. Coach did acknowledge he could have extended his bench more by playing Frank more than he did. I just wanted them to let Carter try and harass Khris Middleton some each game to try and tire him out over a 6-7 game series. At the least Jevon could have guarded their point guard full court and gave us a defensive hand that way too. All year our bench guys helped keep us in games. Then Monty shuns them in the playpffs. Probably wouldn't have changed much, but would have been less load on the starters overall. We looked good those first two games in the finals, then they wore us out the next four.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose