Suns @ Warriors Friday game thread 12-3-2021

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
For the fun of it, I did compare the careers of Ayton and Embiid. It's not as dramatically differerent statwise as one might think.

Numbers can be deceptive when you don’t factor in the player’s level of responsibilities. Embiid is one of the most impactful players in the league when he’s on the court. Key word “on”.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok I can understand Rudy but I’d take Bam over Ayton in a vacuum. Better facilitator, better shooter, more versatile defensively. Ayton is bigger and does a better job on the glass but I think Bam is a better overall player.
I like his intensity and motor better than DA's but I think Ayton is on another level than Bam.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Numbers can be deceptive when you don’t factor in the player’s level of responsibilities. Embiid is one of the most impactful players in the league when he’s on the court. Key word “on”.

Ayton is really good and probably better defensively than Embiid.

You can only play the numbers don’t mean anything for so long. It’s getting to be where you can’t deny him anymore. However I don’t think he will ever win over some. It’s been a day 1 thing

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What did you expect for Embiid? He's been a top 3 MVP candidate the last 2 years who has kept his team in contention since he started playing. He's the best big in the game currently, by a good margin.

I know Jokic is a big but he doesn't play like one. He's unique. Embiid however plays like a 7 footer, using his size to his advantage inside and out.

If Embiid were fully healthy his whole career, I think the 76ers would already have some championships during his stay.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Ayton is really good and probably better defensively than Embiid.

You can only play the numbers don’t mean anything for so long. It’s getting to be where you can’t deny him anymore. However I don’t think he will ever win over some. It’s been a day 1 thing

Embiid is an MVP candidate. They aren’t comparable but keep doing you.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like his intensity and motor better than DA's but I think Ayton is on another level than Bam.

Why? Bam is already a 2 Time All-NBA Defensive Team, can post, has good enough handles to be able to drive to the hoop and is a far superior passer having averaged 4 assists per game the last year which is amongst the best at his position, while having a great motor.

Ayton is a slightly better rebounder. Where else do you see him being equal to Bam, much less on another level?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok I can understand Rudy but I’d take Bam over Ayton in a vacuum. Better facilitator, better shooter, more versatile defensively. Ayton is bigger and does a better job on the glass but I think Bam is a better overall player.

I guess we will have to see how it plays out.

IMO, Ayton has more upside but on any given I might make that trade. :wink2:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to say that given how many games Devin has missed and how poorly he and CP3 started the season and how soft Ayton is and how horrible Cam Payne has been and how invisible Cam Johnson has been and how incredibly bad Shamet has been and how weak Bridges has been offensively and how lousy Nader has played and how inconsistent Crowder has been and how incredibly bad Payton is and how injured Frank Kaminsky has been and how poorly Monty has coached in addition to all the Sarver-related distractions we're awfully lucky that McGee signed with us.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Why? Bam is already a 2 Time All-NBA Defensive Team, can post, has good enough handles to be able to drive to the hoop and is a far superior passer having averaged 4 assists per game the last year which is amongst the best at his position, while having a great motor.

Ayton is a slightly better rebounder. Where else do you see him being equal to Bam, much less on another level?

Bam with an elite PG like CP3? Game over.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah the big advantage Ayton has there (in stats comparison) is in efficiency but Embiid makes up for it with a huge advantage in free throws.

A healthy Embiid is a better player than Ayton.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Embiid is an MVP candidate. They aren’t comparable but keep doing you.

Didn’t say he was Embiid but as pointed out if you look at Ayton in his 4th year and Embiid it’s really not that big of a gap as the poster pointed out

Again NOBODY said he was Embiid that’s you not taking post into context and jumping to something else

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ayton shouldn't have been compared to Embiid. It's that simple. Embiid's career has been hampered by health problems though.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Embiids problem isn’t only his health it’s his work ethic. Shaq, Barkley, Steven A the media is always calling him out for not being in shape and just being to winded to finish games.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Didn’t say he was Embiid but as pointed out if you look at Ayton in his 4th year and Embiid it’s really not that big of a gap as the poster pointed out

Again NOBODY said he was Embiid that’s you not taking post into context and jumping to something else

Oh sorry I thought you said he was better defensively. Embiid has been all-defense multiple times.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to say that given how many games Devin has missed and how poorly he and CP3 started the season and how soft Ayton is and how horrible Cam Payne has been and how invisible Cam Johnson has been and how incredibly bad Shamet has been and how weak Bridges has been offensively and how lousy Nader has played and how inconsistent Crowder has been and how incredibly bad Payton is and how injured Frank Kaminsky has been and how poorly Monty has coached in addition to all the Sarver-related distractions we're awfully lucky that McGee signed with us.

Also a lot of teams seriously underrated how much McGee could help them, especially for $5 million dollars.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We rarely get to see it but a healthy Embiid is probably just behind Wilt, Kareem and maybe Shaq for best big man ever. And even when he's healthy enough to play he's still not healthy enough to practice regularly or get into shape to play his best.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Embiids problem isn’t only his health it’s his work ethic. Shaq, Barkley, Steven A the media is always calling him out for not being in shape and just being to winded to finish games.

His conditioning is poor which is something he should be in control of and isn’t. The injuries idk because he was dealing with significant issues before he was drafted.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His conditioning is poor which is something he should be in control of and isn’t. The injuries idk because he was dealing with significant issues before he was drafted.
Yeah with his injuries there's no way he could be in peak game shape. The Embiid we see is a shadow of the Embiid he could be if health was never an issue for him.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh sorry I thought you said he was better defensively. Embiid has been all-defense multiple times.

I think he is better defensively right now. This is also Embiid’s 8th year and Ayton is 24

They are different defenders. Ayton is asked to guard the perimeter much more and he’s statistically the best in the NBA for a center when he switches on to a guard.

However Embiid is light years better on offense.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't know which came first.

It's like the chicken and the egg question.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know which came first.

It's like the chicken and the egg question.

There were videos of this dude eating Big Macs on the sidelines before games.

He’s super talented but he’s far from a perfect player. All these guys have flaws expect for a small few

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We rarely get to see it but a healthy Embiid is probably just behind Wilt, Kareem and maybe Shaq for best big man ever. And even when he's healthy enough to play he's still not healthy enough to practice regularly or get into shape to play his best.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Embiid could have been that good.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose