Suns updates and discussion for the 2023-24 season

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just a crazy thought. Would Ben Simmons potentially be a good fit for this team? He could be the facilitator on offense, yet provide versatile defense on all 5 positions. I am not sure where he is lately, but he is at that age where some players just really start to come into their own. Maybe its a bad idea.

A line up of say: Simmons, Book, Allen, Durant, and Nurk would have an odd sort of balance of offense, defense, and ball handling.
I would sign him for the minimum in the offseason, but that is it - and some other team would give him more I am sure.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would sign him for the minimum in the offseason, but that is it - and some other team would give him more I am sure.

Simmons has another year on his contract after this season for $40+ million.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's also a team cancer - which is why Denver and now the Clippers wanted to get rid of him.

That said we are so desperate for any kind of bench scoring I would give up a second for him.

I don't know much about Bones Hyland other than what I saw in Denver. His potential as a player, I liked a lot.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Not exactly brag worthy if you ask me.

This team is supposed to be win it all or bust, not the 4th or 5th seed.
You trip me out man - team that's never played together that was never healthy until just recently - always floated above .500 during all that - showing legit progress now

We only had an 8 man rotation last night but Grayson and Bol Bol were injured + Metu and Udoka will get more minutes if we can ever get this 4th quarter demon off our backs

As for seating - there's no telling - injuries to us or other teams will likely dictate more than talent

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
That makes a lot of sense. This Suns team could lose in 2nd or 3rd round as-is even if healthy. Suns need an athletic big that can hang with the tall young wings in the league and grab some rebounds. Not sure with Suns limited assets whether we can get that. A PG would be nice. Anyone available would help with passing but at the expense of either shooting or defense or both. The Suns are already small and kinda weak on defense. Don't see how that works unless they get very lucky.
2nd or 3rd round? Even that's optimistic, IMO.

If the playoffs started today, Phoenix would be matched up with LAC. Both teams healthy, the Suns would be lucky to make it out of the 1st.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2nd or 3rd round? Even that's optimistic, IMO.

If the playoffs started today, Phoenix would be matched up with LAC. Both teams healthy, the Suns would be lucky to make it out of the 1st.

Yeah, as it stands today, the Suns couldn't get by the Clippers. They have a deeper team.

With Zubac injured, Mason Plumlee has stepped up at center and they haven't missed a beat. They should get Zubac back later this season and they also have Theis.

Also, they have Norman Powell and Westbrook on the bench.

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah, as it stands today, the Suns couldn't get by the Clippers. They have a deeper team.

With Zubac injured, Mason Plumlee has stepped up at center and they haven't missed a beat. They should get Zubac back later this season and they also have Theis.

Yeah but will PG and Kawhi be healthy come playoff time. Has never happened yet

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You trip me out man - team that's never played together that was never healthy until just recently - always floated above .500 during all that - showing legit progress now

We only had an 8 man rotation last night but Grayson and Bol Bol were injured + Metu and Udoka will get more minutes if we can ever get this 4th quarter demon off our backs

As for seating - there's no telling - injuries to us or other teams will likely dictate more than talent

What progress? Any less than a 30 point lead headed into the 4th quarter is damn near a guaranteed loss. When the game slows down this team buckles. We've seen it all year, healthy or not. I'm sure someone will mention the comeback against the Kings but 1 comeback vs 12+ collapses in the 4th isn't good. We're still the lowest scoring 4th quarter team in the league by a decent amount.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score

Not only deeper, but their stars have a better skillset balance and better 2 way players. That isn't even mentioning the coaching difference.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Recently? Since the big 3 has been intact? Me thinketh not homie

Well believe it. Last 3 games? Still last. Last before the big 3 were healthy and still last 15 games later. 24.5 points in the 4th now, on the season. I'll have to find my post from a month back but I'm fairly certain that average has gone down. Last 3 games they average a paltry 20.3 points a 4th. That's sad.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Well believe it. Last 3 games? Still last. Last before the big 3 were healthy and still last 15 games later. 24.5 points in the 4th now, on the season. I'll have to find my post from a month back but I'm fairly certain that average has gone down. Last 3 games they average a paltry 20.3 points a 4th. That's sad.
Last 3 games isn't the sample size I was requesting but granted - it does show the 4th quarter is still a big issue - I think it is slowly getting better tho

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns are the worst scoring 4th quarter team in the league by more than a full point through 36 games, averaging 24.6 points each 4th quarter. Second worst is Portland at 25.8 and Indiana is best at 32 points per 4th. So much for a historic offense, at least in a positive manner.

Seeing that gives me virtually no hope for the players. Teams dont just flip a switch and become clutch.

Our 4th quarter scoring has gone down .1 points per 4th since January 7th. There's no way its gone down as a whole while the "Big 3" have played the last 12 games, we're at 48 games now. That 12 games also includes a 7 game winning streak yet our 4th quarter scoring has gotten worse.

Last edited:

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Since Jan 1st (beal was back on 12/29 I believe), Suns are still last:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
23 W
31 L
19 W
18 L
20 L
22 W
21 W
35 W Kings Game
23 W Pelicans
26 W Pacers
32 W Bulls
32 W Mavs
17 L Pacers
13 L Magic
18 W Heat
30 W Nets

These are the previous 4th quarter totals since January 1st. Definitely a correlation between wins and losses.