Suns updates and discussion for the 2023-24 season

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flex is saying his sources are saying Bol is going to get cut.

Do you have a link to the above?

According to Adrian Wojnarowski, Keon Johnson is going to be waived.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I do think, it was given that Keon Johnson will be cut. He is very athletic, but that's it and this can be said about a lot of players outside of the NBA:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do think, it was given that Keon Johnson will be cut. He is very athletic, but that's it and this can be said about a lot of players outside of the NBA:

I was rooting for him to stick over Bol, merely so I didn't have to waste another moment debating Bol's total lack of quality as an NBA player.

But Keon is awful too. Bol's fan favorite status probably helped. Bol is terrible, but in a strangely entertaining way, he will make for a great human victory cigar, while Keon Johnson is just a run of the mill awful guard with some hops.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do you have a link to the above?

According to Adrian Wojnarowski, Keon Johnson is going to be waived.
He just said according to his sources Bol was in trouble on the PHNX podcast whatever day I posted that. He didn’t specifically say Bol would be waived.

if it is Keon Johnson that gets cut, i suppose I should stop posting my interpretations of statements, because I must not be too good at it.

then again, flex’s source and Vogel may truly think Bol should be cut but Ishiba or Jones may be overruling them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He just said according to his sources Bol was in trouble on the PHNX podcast whatever day I posted that. He didn’t specifically say Bol would be waived.

if it is Keon Johnson that gets cut, i suppose I should stop posting my interpretations of statements, because I must not be too good at it.

then again, flex’s source and Vogel may truly think Bol should be cut but Ishiba or Jones may be overruling them.

I was just hoping to read what Flex said if it were in writing.

Being vague is not insider news, as we all knew which players were the most likely to be waived.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I was rooting for him to stick over Bol, merely so I didn't have to waste another moment debating Bol's total lack of quality as an NBA player.

But Keon is awful too. Bol's fan favorite status probably helped. Bol is terrible, but in a strangely entertaining way, he will make for a great human victory cigar, while Keon Johnson is just a run of the mill awful guard with some hops.
He has looked awful for us, but he was a legitimately solid rotation player for Orlando for the first 35 or so games of the season before he got covid. He averaged 12p/7r/1.6b in 26 minutes with 59% from the field and 39% from 3. He is absolutely capable of giving us some solid minutes, especially in short bursts. I think he is just a bit lost as to what his exact role is with this team at the moment.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He has looked awful for us, but he was a legitimately solid rotation player for Orlando for the first 35 or so games of the season before he got covid. He averaged 12p/7r/1.6b in 26 minutes with 59% from the field and 39% from 3. He is absolutely capable of giving us some solid minutes, especially in short bursts. I think he is just a bit lost as to what his exact role is with this team at the moment.

That's a really good point. He's been useless the entire preseason, but Vogel has been using him as a 3rd center. And EVERYONE that is asked about him says he's not a center. So that may have something to do with it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a really good point. He's been useless the entire preseason, but Vogel has been using him as a 3rd center. And EVERYONE that is asked about him says he's not a center. So that may have something to do with it.
Guess the question will be how flexible is Vogel to change the way he’s using him. Not knowing enough about Vogel, I’m not sure but if he’s playing strictly at C in preseason, that tells me where Vogel sees him, at least a little. And if that’s the case, he’s going to be pretty worthless in that slot.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What is he then - because I don't think he is capable of guarding anyone based on what I have seen. He's too skinny and weak to guard bigs, and too slow to guard wings or guards.

That's the problem - if he is a non entity as a defensive player than he is unplayable - especially in the playoffs.

Not to mention offensively he doesn't really seem to be anything special either. I mean I see enough offensively that perhaps he could become a plus there, but as an atrocity on Defense I don't think that will matter.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
What is he then - because I don't think he is capable of guarding anyone based on what I have seen. He's too skinny and weak to guard bigs, and too slow to guard wings or guards.

That's the problem - if he is a non entity as a defensive player than he is unplayable - especially in the playoffs.

Not to mention offensively he doesn't really seem to be anything special either. I mean I see enough offensively that perhaps he could become a plus there, but as an atrocity on Defense I don't think that will matter.
I know he hasn't looked good in his limited minutes in preseason, but I think you are being too harsh on what he can do defensively. I find it odd that guy who is "unplayable" on that end of the floor had the 4th best defensive rating on his team last year at 111 and also held his opponent to shooting about 1% below their season average.

He may not be the most technically sound defender, but he makes up for it by having incredible length. He can afford to sag off a bit on the perimeter and has even given guys like Jokic some issues at times when guarding them in the post. He will be fine defensively in short stretches. Where it becomes a big issue is if you are relying on him playing heavy minutes.

He doesn't need to do anything special on offense, but knock down some open threes and use his length on occasion to be a nuisance on the offensive boards.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Flex is saying his sources are saying Bol is going to get cut.

Can we finally quit sharing what Flex says as if he knows anything? He's in the same boat as any poster here as far as following the team close enough to make semi-educated guesses. He's not an insider and has been wrong far more than right over the last 2 1/2 years. Essentially everything since the Paul trade has been him desperately clinging to his 15 minutes of fame.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Bol thinks he isn’t a center, Bol is in denial. He is hopeless as a ball handler and defender anywhere but the rim.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can we finally quit sharing what Flex says as if he knows anything? He's in the same boat as any poster here as far as following the team close enough to make semi-educated guesses. He's not an insider and has been wrong far more than right over the last 2 1/2 years. Essentially everything since the Paul trade has been him desperately clinging to his 15 minutes of fame.

Yeah, I was hoping Flex had put something in writing about the Suns waiving Bol Bol.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am pretty sure flex has a source in the training facility. Now does that mean his source should be taken as gospel, no. But I would rather listen to imperfect inside info over none at all.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

And a lot of it can be deduced by a non casual fan.