Suns updates and discussion for the 2022-23 season

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you caught this from the article but Durant is averaging 25.6 points, 6.3 rebounds, 3.4 assists and 1.3 blocks per game while shooting 58.2%. Durant as two scores as a screener and 4 from on ball screens. The rest of all come from movement (off ball screening), isolation, catch and shoots and transition.

That is sick. That means he doesn't have to rely on someone picking off his man (on ball screen) to score most of his points.
58% is really ludicrous for a guy who's mainly a jump shooter and not back to back rim rocker.

58%.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yup. Why they couldn’t make those the regular jerseys is stupid. Hated them on first glance but really came to love them and the court design that went with them.

Really not happy it looks like we are getting the Clips in round 1.

Ty Lue has badly outcoached Monty every time they have matched up.

With or without George it is going to be a tough series.
The one team I'm afraid of. Thank god they made that Durant trade.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't know if you caught this from the article but Durant is averaging 25.6 points, 6.3 rebounds, 3.4 assists and 1.3 blocks per game while shooting 58.2%. Durant as two scores as a screener and 4 from on ball screens. The rest of all come from movement (off ball screening), isolation, catch and shoots and transition.

That is sick. That means he doesn't have to rely on someone picking off his man (on ball screen) to score most of his points.

He’s unstoppable. To be 7 feet with handles like that lol. Must be nice. KD could legit play til he’s 40 and still get 20 a game.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm no Monty fan but that's a bit of an exagerration. Monty is 9-7 heads up against Lue and the Clippers. But I agree it would be a tough series.
Imo we’ve been the more talented team in most of those games with George and kawhi missing many. 9-7 is an indictment of Monty’s coaching.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
If monty loses the second of his top two bench coaches I think he’s done. (Frankly I think he’s past his expiration date anyway)

Back channel with Nick nurse.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
... do you think there are teams that have assistants who when approached for a head coaching job elsewhere go "Nah, no thanks."?

I believe the Warriors had one assistant who did that but that was a unique scenario. Kenny Atkinson declined the Hornets job to stay in Golden State. They just won the title and that's a pretty cushy gig. I don't think anyone can blame him for sticking around. However word is he's also interviewing for the Rockets job this off-season. So whatever held him back isn't doing so still.

Sometimes after interviewing somewhere you learn it's not a good fit. @Chaplin have you accepted every job you've been offered? I know I haven't and I doubt that I'm in the minority there.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
What has been the narrative over the past 25 years? That Popovich is a coaching factory -- Monty himself came from the Popovich mold. I certainly don't see every assistant coach from every team being thrown around for jobs, do you?

@Hoop Head , not sure why you are asking me that question. I'm not enamored with Kevin Young myself, so I don't have much of an opinion, but losing Willie Green was a blow for us. If he is getting interviewed, more power to him, I was just saying that this puts Monty into an "unfirable" position if he starts getting a reputation of grooming assistants into full head coaches.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What has been the narrative over the past 25 years? That Popovich is a coaching factory -- Monty himself came from the Popovich mold. I certainly don't see every assistant coach from every team being thrown around for jobs, do you?

@Hoop Head , not sure why you are asking me that question. I'm not enamored with Kevin Young myself, so I don't have much of an opinion, but losing Willie Green was a blow for us. If he is getting interviewed, more power to him, I was just saying that this puts Monty into an "unfirable" position if he starts getting a reputation of grooming assistants into full head coaches.

I asked because you say that like its a bad thing that Monty helps mold assistants into head coaches. I agree losing Willie Green hurt but I think he also ended up in a great scenario. I don't believe this staff relies on Kevin Young like they did Willie, or rather Young doesn't do as much for the team as Willie did. So I don't view his loss as nearly the same level of loss, if he leaves. That's part of having a successful organization though, the assistants get head coaching gigs elsewhere. We were bad for so long I think a lot of us forgot what it's like to be good and seeing assistants poached.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I asked because you say that like its a bad thing that Monty helps mold assistants into head coaches. I agree losing Willie Green hurt but I think he also ended up in a great scenario. I don't believe this staff relies on Kevin Young like they did Willie, or rather Young doesn't do as much for the team as Willie did. So I don't view his loss as nearly the same level of loss, if he leaves. That's part of having a successful organization though, the assistants get head coaching gigs elsewhere. We were bad for so long I think a lot of us forgot what it's like to be good and seeing assistants poached.
I say that because it makes it harder to fire Monty for what his weaknesses are. If we win the title this year, then all is forgiven, but there are too many red flags with Monty and if we go out of the playoffs like we did last year, then show him the door.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A weakness I see with the Suns roster (one could argue it is a strength) is that they do not have a tolerance for players who have walked too close to the edge. Part of this may be on Monty or part of this could be on James Jones.

Glancing at the Bucks roster, one can see players who would not be on the Suns roster this season.

Examples are Grayson Allen, Jae Crowder, Goran Dragic, Meyers Leonard and maybe even Bobby Portis.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I say that because it makes it harder to fire Monty for what his weaknesses are. If we win the title this year, then all is forgiven, but there are too many red flags with Monty and if we go out of the playoffs like we did last year, then show him the door.
If we flame out in the first round and someone like Nick Nurse is available, I don’t think Monty having a coaching tree has much bearing on if he’s fired or not.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We'd all like to think that, but you don't know that for sure.
Never said I knew anything for sure. Just my opinion that wins and losses will ultimately matter, especially if it’s an ugly loss.