Suns updates and discussion for the 2022-23 season

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Okay, doesn't that mean that our core 4 is 5 points better with someone other than Okogie playing with them?
It's much higher with Craig or Ish in his spot, but they have only played 7 and 8 minutes with the big 4 respectively. JO has 110 minutes with those 4 players.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We wore the valley uni's a lot in the playoffs.
Yup. Why they couldn’t make those the regular jerseys is stupid. Hated them on first glance but really came to love them and the court design that went with them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's much higher with Craig or Ish in his spot, but they have only played 7 and 8 minutes with the big 4 respectively. JO has 110 minutes with those 4 players.

I prefer Craig as a starter, but it weakens the Suns bench and defense.

Monty must like the energy Okogie brings when he starts.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really not happy it looks like we are getting the Clips in round 1.

Ty Lue has badly outcoached Monty every time they have matched up.

With or without George it is going to be a tough series.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really not happy it looks like we are getting the Clips in round 1.

Ty Lue has badly outcoached Monty every time they have matched up.

With or without George it is going to be a tough series.
I'm no Monty fan but that's a bit of an exagerration. Monty is 9-7 heads up against Lue and the Clippers. But I agree it would be a tough series.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, wow. I SO much prefer Craig coming off the bench for us.

Yes, Craig is steady coming off the bench, so if he starts, it weakens the bench.

I think this is one of the reasons Monty likes to start Okogie plus he often gets the toughest defensive assignment.

Also, as I mentioned, he brings a lot of energy to the table.

With more depth, I'd prefer Craig starting.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm no Monty fan but that's a bit of an exagerration. Monty is 9-7 heads up against Lue and the Clippers. But I agree it would be a tough series.

Clippers didn't have Kahwi in the 2021 playoffs. They don't have PG now.

Still he manages to get the team playing at a very high level. He's working wonders with Westbrook too.

Its not exaggerated as playoff games 1-5 were very tough; winning by 6, winning by 1, losing by 14, winning by 4, losing by 14. Then a blowout for game 6.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Still he manages to get the team playing at a very high level. He's working wonders with Westbrook too.

Its not exaggerated as playoff games 1-5 were very tough; winning by 6, winning by 1, losing by 14, winning by 4, losing by 14. Then a blowout for game 6.
I also consider Lue to be a better coach than Monty but we've had our share of problems too and when you can't even win the season record one single time against another team 3 years running, I think it's a stretch to say that the losing coach has "badly outcoached Monty every time they've matched up". Scoreboard matters.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I also consider Lue to be a better coach than Monty but we've had our share of problems too and when you can't even win the season record one single time against another team 3 years running, I think it's a stretch to say that the losing coach has "badly outcoached Monty every time they've matched up". Scoreboard matters.
I think that's probably because Monty talks so slow that he can only explain half a play before a timeout is finished.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Clippers may be the better team, since Wiggins is out for the Warriors, but I think there is a psychological barrier the Suns must overcome if they play Golden State.

It's a tough call. I think the Clippers have the better bench which is a big concern for me. The bench could decide the series.

On paper, I think the Clippers are the hardest matchup.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

yeah, but gotta remember, we didn't have CP3 for games 1 and 2 either. He probably makes one of those close wins a little more comfortable.

reality is we're still a totally new team, with really suspect depth so any team we face in the first round is going to be a really solid challenge, IMO.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Clippers may be the better team, since Wiggins is out for the Warriors, but I think there is a psychological barrier the Suns must overcome if they play Golden State.

It's a tough call. I think the Clippers have the better bench which is a big concern for me. The bench could decide the series.

On paper, I think the Clippers are the hardest matchup.
Clippers just have so many offensive weapons.

Mann, Leonard, Powell, Gordon, Hyland, Westbrick if he just goes to the basket, Morris against the Suns, George if he comes back.

And their center duo I think is actually fantastic. They destroyed the Suns in our last matchup.

If our 3pt defense isn't at it's best we could easily get beat.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Yes, Craig is steady coming off the bench, so if he starts, it weakens the bench.

I think this is one of the reasons Monty likes to start Okogie plus he often gets the toughest defensive assignment.

Also, as I mentioned, he brings a lot of energy to the table.

With more depth, I'd prefer Craig starting.
Even with more depth, I still don't. I just think Craig is much more impactful off the bench. Brings that energy that we need then. I don't think he plays as well as a starter.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clippers just have so many offensive weapons.

Mann, Leonard, Powell, Gordon, Hyland, Westbrick if he just goes to the basket, Morris against the Suns, George if he comes back.

And their center duo I think is actually fantastic. They destroyed the Suns in our last matchup.

If our 3pt defense isn't at it's best we could easily get beat.

I agree. The Clippers are loaded and deep on the bench.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even with more depth, I still don't. I just think Craig is much more impactful off the bench. Brings that energy that we need then. I don't think he plays as well as a starter.

Craig did play well as a starter earlier in the season but Okogie snatched the starting position away with some big games.

I think Monty likes the steady play Craig brings off the bench. No matter who starts, Craig will play meaningful minutes.

It will be interesting to see how Okogie plays for the Suns in the playoffs.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Outstanding article:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Outstanding article:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I don't know if you caught this from the article but Durant is averaging 25.6 points, 6.3 rebounds, 3.4 assists and 1.3 blocks per game while shooting 58.2%. Durant as two scores as a screener and 4 from on ball screens. The rest of all come from movement (off ball screening), isolation, catch and shoots and transition.

That is sick. That means he doesn't have to rely on someone picking off his man (on ball screen) to score most of his points.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose