Suns updates and discussion for the 2022-23 season

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I wonder if ownership had not changed during the season, if JJ would have just let Crowder rot at home for the rest of the year. The whole thing seemed like it simply devolved into a pissing match between JJ/Monty and Crowder.

Which definitely doesn't speak well for our front office. Whether or not Crowder merited being treated like a child because he behaved like one, the GM's (and coach's) primary focus has to be the success of the team... not outdueling your player in a match of egos.

Crowder was still an asset that could/should have been used to get another asset to improve the team's chances of winning. Instead, it almost seemed like JJ/Monty might have been opting to be punitive to Crowder even if it really harmed their own team in the process.

If this were the case, it would be incredibly bad management by the Suns front office. The team always comes first.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We are missing that guy..

Oubre
Crowder
McGee

Instead this year we added Ross, clueless on D. Baz just not good in general.

Can anyone say Cousins lol

I agree.. you need a Cousins type but I thought him an CP beefing

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it's probably too late, but is there any player out there that was waived before the deadline that could help the Suns?

The Suns would have to waive a player to do it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If this were the case, it would be incredibly bad management by the Suns front office. The team always comes first.
Really? You honestly believe that? The team doesn’t always come first in pro sports in Phoenix. Never has except for one single year in the mid 90s.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe Crowder was always intended to be part of the Durant trade until Ishbia overruled JJ and added Bridges to the mix. But with all the injuries we had this season, I doubt Jae would have added more than a few to the win column.
Isbia didn't add Bridges to the mix. The Nets let it be known there was no deal without Bridges. Bridges was rumored to be part of the deal since the original KD go around. There was no deal the first or second time without Bridges. I bet the sticking point was all the future draft picks. Just my two cents.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Isbia didn't add Bridges to the mix. The Nets let it be known there was no deal without Bridges. Bridges was rumored to be part of the deal since the original KD go around. There was no deal the first or second time without Bridges. I bet the sticking point was all the future draft picks. Just my two cents.
Yeah, that's what they said. Not sure I believe that, but I guess we will never know for sure.

Point is Ishbia gave in to the demand.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree.. you need a Cousins type but I thought him an CP beefing

I don't know what people see in Cousins. He doesn't bring toughness, defense, clutch play, team play... anything that we're lacking.

He plays selfish offense, gives up a ton of points on D and he collects technical fouls.

We made a point to go straight at him in the Clippers series.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Honestly, I wonder if ownership had not changed during the season, if JJ would have just let Crowder rot at home for the rest of the year. The whole thing seemed like it simply devolved into a pissing match between JJ/Monty and Crowder.

Which definitely doesn't speak well for our front office. Whether or not Crowder merited being treated like a child because he behaved like one, the GM's (and coach's) primary focus has to be the success of the team... not outdueling your player in a match of egos.

Crowder was still an asset that could/should have been used to get another asset to improve the team's chances of winning. Instead, it almost seemed like JJ/Monty might have been opting to be punitive to Crowder even if it really harmed their own team in the process.

There were a lot of reports that the Suns had a Crowder deal lined up and we were waiting to see if something better developed at the end of the line.

I am pretty sure the deal the Nets made with the Bucks was the exact deal we were going to make.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what they said. Not sure I believe that, but I guess we will never know for sure.

Point is Ishbia gave in to the demand.

Yeah, Brooklyn wanted Bridges, we, as reported by many, refused to include him, he was the sticking point. Their situation fell apart around them, they had no better offer than Cam, cap filler and picks, they had to move KD... we shouldn't have caved.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, Brooklyn wanted Bridges, we, as reported by many, refused to include him, he was the sticking point. Their situation fell apart around them, they had no better offer than Cam, cap filler and picks, they had to move KD... we shouldn't have caved.
Well to be fair they didn't have to cave, they could have easily waited till the offseason and opened up the bidding.

We will never know for sure. Best not to dwell on it, because it can't be changed.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well to be fair they didn't have to cave, they could have easily waited till the offseason and opened up the bidding.

We will never know for sure. Best not to dwell on it, because it can't be changed.

They could have... but seeing as our offer we gave them was better than any offer they received last Summer and in the meantime the Nets organization collapsed, Durant got a year older and missed most of another season with injury... it is almost impossible to imagine their offers would be improved.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Might be time to just look at the UFA class next year, that's how bad things seem now with all these losses.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Might be time to just look at the UFA class next year, that's how bad things seem now with all these losses.

It ain't pretty.

Even with Paul's decline, it's going to be hard to move off of him given the lack of options on the market.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They could have... but seeing as our offer we gave them was better than any offer they received last Summer and in the meantime the Nets organization collapsed, Durant got a year older and missed most of another season with injury... it is almost impossible to imagine their offers would be improved.
You keep saying this as if it’s fact when it was reported that the Celtics were very close to pulling the trigger on a Jaylen Brown deal that would have smoked ours last summer. And seeing how disgruntled Jaylen still is, could have been in the offing in a sign and trade this summer.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns ranked dead last for the last 3 years for shots at the rim.

The mid range jump shooting offense has run its course

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I'm pretty (like 100%) certain there was never going to be a KD to Phoenix deal that didn't include Bridges. You can certainly argue as to whether we could have waited out Brooklyn on the remaining pieces of the deal, or somehow substituted other things for those bits. But Bridges was always going to be part of the deal.

And again, time was of the essence, and it wasn't like literally no one else was interested in acquiring him, including teams that had better pieces. Undoubtedly, Brooklyn would have gone elsewhere if we lowballed them. They had other, likely better options then Cam, Crowder and draft picks.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think we refused. Based on what James Jones said they tried to convince the Nets to take someone else. James said on the interview he tried to come up with other packages. I took that to mean those 3 way team rumors.

At the end of the day the answer was never no for the Suns. It was more like let me see if we can get you a similar player before we agree to include Bridges. The Suns knew it would take that caliber of player. Knowing that they didn’t just engage the Nets once but twice.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You keep saying this as if it’s fact when it was reported that the Celtics were very close to pulling the trigger on a Jaylen Brown deal that would have smoked ours last summer. And seeing how disgruntled Jaylen still is, could have been in the offing in a sign and trade this summer.

The Nets said that the deal they got was the deal they asked for in the summer, we were widely reported to be unwilling to part with Bridges.

The Celtics also said they were not willing to give up Brown.

And even if Brown got dangled in the Summer, Brown isn't worth near what we gave up in total and it would have been after another year of Nets total dysfunction and Durant injuries.

It is hard to write a scenario where their asking price in the summer could sniff what it was last summer, we foolishly met the price we could have had him for previously, despite an obvious depreciation of value and desperation for Brooklyn.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm pretty (like 100%) certain there was never going to be a KD to Phoenix deal that didn't include Bridges. You can certainly argue as to whether we could have waited out Brooklyn on the remaining pieces of the deal, or somehow substituted other things for those bits. But Bridges was always going to be part of the deal.

And again, time was of the essence, and it wasn't like literally no one else was interested in acquiring him, including teams that had better pieces. Undoubtedly, Brooklyn would have gone elsewhere if we lowballed them. They had other, likely better options then Cam, Crowder and draft picks.

I honestly think they didn't.

Memphis supposedly offered 4 picks and swaps but made every piece of their core (Morant, JJJ, Bane, Brooks) untouchable. That was their next best reported offer... we blew it to pieces.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns ranked dead last for the last 3 years for shots at the rim.

The mid range jump shooting offense has run its course
I don't think that's true at all.

We just don't go to the basket enough. It's more to do with our personnel. Durant will help with this some.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The next best offer they had, reportedly, was from Memphis and CamJ, Saric, Crowder plus 4 unprotected picks was much better IMO. I don't believe there was any rush to trade for him. Sure they wanted Bridges, every team in the league would probably want him. That didn't mean we needed to include him. I believe most teams would have been interested in Durant but as was said all along, their asking price was much more than an old, injured, overpaid KD was worth.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Nets said that the deal they got was the deal they asked for in the summer, we were widely reported to be unwilling to part with Bridges.

The Celtics also said they were not willing to give up Brown.

And even if Brown got dangled in the Summer, Brown isn't worth near what we gave up in total and it would have been after another year of Nets total dysfunction and Durant injuries.

It is hard to write a scenario where their asking price in the summer could sniff what it was last summer, we foolishly met the price we could have had him for previously, despite an obvious depreciation of value and desperation for Brooklyn.

Brown by himself is worth more than Bridges and Cam come on now

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose