Suns updates and discussion for the 2022-23 season

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the 2022-23 preseason underway it's time to start a thread for Suns discussion, news and updates concerning the season.

The Suns have an open roster spot they have yet to fill. They also have the taxpayer MLE available.

Additionally, Jae Crowder missed Media Day and Training Camp per mutual agreement as the sides pursue a trade.

The Suns open the regular season on Wednesday, October 19th at home against the Dallas Mavericks.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the moment, the Suns not trading Jae Crowder and filler for Bojan Bogdanovic is looking like a missed opportunity unless James Jones can work some magic.

HoopsHype lists several potential trade destinations for Jae Crowder in the link below.

The best option might be for the Suns and Crowder to patch things up, if that is still a possibility.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
At the moment, the Suns not trading Jae Crowder and filler for Bojan Bogdanovic is looking like a missed opportunity unless James Jones can work some magic.

HoopsHype lists several potential trade destinations for Jae Crowder in the link below.

The best option might be for the Suns and Crowder to patch things up, if that is still a possibility.

Didn't he get traded to DET? Can't imagine DET trading for him just to flip him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't he get traded to DET? Can't imagine DET trading for him just to flip him.

Yes. Bojan was traded to Detroit. I mentioned it as looking like a missed trade opportunity.

I'm hoping James Jones can find some magic with a different trade.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
James Jones really needs to show something.

This has a real Cardinals vibe to it. Epic collapse to a good season and do absolutely nothing in the offseason just run it back

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This has a real Cardinals vibe to it. Epic collapse to a good season and do absolutely nothing in the offseason just run it back

I can't help but wonder if it's a sale of the team thing. I guess we will find out soon enough.

The Suns aren't even running it back without Crowder and McGee.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yup. Been saying this for a while.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score

Unless my numbers are wrong, that “filler“ would of been Saric.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless my numbers are wrong, that “filler“ would of been Saric.

It could have been, although Shamet and Crowder might have worked as well.

There might have been some variations using Crowder, Craig and something else.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
It could have been, although Shamet and Crowder might have worked as well.

There might have been some variations using Crowder, Craig and something else.

I think it is safe to assume that Utah had no interest in Shamet’s extra years and would of preferred the Detroit trade (unless we included a 1sr round pick). The same can be said, although much less definitely, about Craig and “something else”. Plus the “something else” would have to be one of our newley signed players which is considered really bad form for a gm to sign a player and then turn around and trade them before they play a single minute.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it is safe to assume that Utah had no interest in Shamet’s extra years and would of preferred the Detroit trade (unless we included a 1sr round pick). The same can be said, although much less definitely, about Craig and “something else”. Plus the “something else” would have to be one of our newley signed players which is considered really bad form for a gm to sign a player and then turn around and trade them before they play a single minute.

I was examining trade options rather than grading them.

Obviously, Bojan is no longer an option for now. I was never high on him anyway, other than possibly to clear unwanted salary.

Hopefully, the Suns can keep their first round picks if they find another trade for Crowder.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was examining trade options rather than grading them.

Obviously, Bojan is no longer an option for now. I was never high on him anyway, other than possibly to clear unwanted salary.

Hopefully, the Suns can keep their first round picks if they find another trade for Crowder.

I have a feeling JJ is going to attach a 1 to get off of Crowder

I just have no faith in this front office anymore

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't see that happening. We might end up giving him away for nothing of real value - because that might make sense to the front office if they've been instructed to find ways to save money. But Jae has value even if it isn't as much as Crowder thinks he has.

As for faith in the front office, I trust JJ but only time will tell if his hands are being tied. I doubt he has a green light to spend money but how frugal he'll have to be remains to be seen.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not feeling good where the Suns are at now. James Jones needs to tweak the roster if they want to be a contender this season.

Right now I'm not seeing it in regard to chemistry or the roster assembled.

If the front office simply goes through the motion, they could well resemble the Jazz before they blew it up.

Where are the play makers and shooters they needed?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not feeling good where the Suns are at now. James Jones needs to tweak the roster if they want to be a contender this season.

If the front office simply goes through the motion, they could well resemble the Jazz before they blew it up.

I just wish I were confident that "tweaking the roster" would make us contenders. Even ignoring our late season meltdown, losing two contributors from last season suggests to me that we need more than a tweak or two.

We need at least a couple of players that deserve to be in the rotation and can even be difference makers every now and then (like Javale was in the first half of the season). And with the current state of the organization, I'm not sure they can make that happen.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Tweaks won't be enough. The Suns are going to get beat up down low, beat up on the boards and be softer this season. We still need a legit big man to add to this roster and likely still look to a consistent backup for CP3.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I say tweak the roster, I mean adding another power forward that can be rotated with Cam Johnson at power forward. I'm not talking about starters.

The Suns don't have enough depth there without Jae Crowder. I don't have confidence in Torrey Craig filling that role.

The Suns need someone that can bring what Crowder brought to the team. If Crowder returned to the team under favorable circumstances, I could be content with that.

Also, the Suns need another playmaker that can shoot. I don't think that player is on the roster. They needed that player last season and they still need him again this season.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I say tweak the roster, I mean adding another power forward that can be rotated with Cam Johnson at power forward. I'm not talking about starters.

The Suns don't have enough depth there without Jae Crowder. I don't have confidence in Torrey Craig filling that role.

The Suns need someone that can bring what Crowder brought to the team. If Crowder returned to the team under favorable circumstances, I could be content with that.

Also, the Suns need another playmaker that can shoot. I don't think that player is on the roster. They needed that player last season and they still need him again this season.
I love Cam J but I have said this from the day we drafted him. He doesn't have the size or toughness to be a starting PF unless it's a finesse team. I have always favored him at the SF position, but we have a great player there already. We need a legit big body who can play big, provide toughness and hit the boards. I don't think Cam J is that player.

Suns are in a tough spot. They don't want to lose him and likely extend him but there is probably no chance of that unless they make him a starter. Unless we get another big man to play big minutes in the rotation? The Suns are going to pay for it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love Cam J but I have said this from the day we drafted him. He doesn't have the size or toughness to be a starting PF unless it's a finesse team. I have always favored him at the SF position, but we have a great player there already. We need a legit big body who can play big, provide toughness and hit the boards. I don't think Cam J is that player.

Suns are in a tough spot. They don't want to lose him and likely extend him but there is probably no chance of that unless they make him a starter. Unless we get another big man to play big minutes in the rotation? The Suns are going to pay for it.

I've always thought Cam Johnson was more of a small forward as well. His rebounding stats support that. However, indications are the Suns view him as a power forward.

As fans, we can't do much about it except watch. That's why I concentrate on moves that would shore up the bench and rotation players.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Cam Johnson is too slow to be as effective at small forward as he can be at the 4, especially once he added some weight after making it to the NBA. He has reasonable height and length for the position, he's just not built like a bull nor does he play with much physicality. But there are plenty of PF's that lack girth and phsyicality that succeed there, it's just that there isn't sufficient complementary help primarily at the 3 and 5 to cover us.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns had a backup 4 that could add physicality, the Suns could better use Cam Johnson as a starter. The NBA is trending towards smaller, athletic power forwards. However, the Suns currently don't have that player on the roster. Torrey Craig is about as close as it gets, although Dario Saric can play the role situationally.

Again, my eyes are also on the back court. The Suns need more shooting and play making.

Right now, I'd be happy if the Suns fixed one of their weaknesses.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always thought Cam Johnson was more of a small forward as well. His rebounding stats support that. However, indications are the Suns view him as a power forward.

As fans, we can't do much about it except watch. That's why I concentrate on moves that would shore up the bench and rotation players.
I am not sure they actually do. I think it's more of having a place for him because he is a "tweener" and Bridges has solidified the SF spot. The Suns wanting to keep him and the fact that we have Bridges has put them in a tough spot.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose