Suns updates and discussion for the 2020-21 season

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I especially like these quotes from Robert Sarver from the article by Kellan Olson at Arizona Sports:

“I finally got it right!” Sarver told Arizona Sports’ Burns & Gambo on Monday. “We did a rebuild and, jeez, I wish we could have saved about four years there.”

-------------------------------------

“I’m excited [about] what we’ve accomplished,” Sarver said. “My hats off to (head coach) Monty (Williams) and (general manager) James (Jones) and our players.”

--------------------------------------

“Sometimes I’ve gotten them right and sometimes I’ve gotten them wrong,” Sarver said of hiring GMs and coaches. “As I said, I’m blessed to have James and Monty. The three of us work together really well and they work together well and they’re just both very good at what they do.”

https://arizonasports.com/story/265...rver-on-51-win-season-i-finally-got-it-right/

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I think Kellan Olsen is a bit off in regards to Bridges. If the Suns offer him a $25 million a year extension then they overpaid. I would be hesitant to offer $20 million a year but I would match that if he got it on the open market. The idea of an extension for him, or Ayton, now is to hopefully sign them a little cheaper than if they hit restricted free agency but the figures he pitched for Mikal were awfully high.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think Kellan Olsen is a bit off in regards to Bridges. If the Suns offer him a $25 million a year extension then they overpaid. I would be hesitant to offer $20 million a year but I would match that if he got it on the open market. The idea of an extension for him, or Ayton, now is to hopefully sign them a little cheaper than if they hit restricted free agency but the figures he pitched for Mikal were awfully high.
I would probably get in a $20m/year extension on Bridges this offseason if if he is down to accept it. I think there is a real chance he out earns that next season.

$20m might be a bit high this offseason, but I don't think he is too far off of that.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Paul on the next individual record he wants to break... win a championship.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Wait, someone earlier called for Payne to get $20-25M per season and bridges getting $25M is too much?!?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wait, someone earlier called for Payne to get $20-25M per season and bridges getting $25M is too much?!?

Whoever said Payne should or might get $20 million a year is nuts. However I still think $25 million is overpaying for Bridges. Oubre got $15 and I think something between $15-20 for Bridges is fair but $25 is high, especially as an early extension offer.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Whoever said Payne should or might get $20 million a year is nuts. However I still think $25 million is overpaying for Bridges. Oubre got $15 and I think something between $15-20 for Bridges is fair but $25 is high, especially as an early extension offer.

Thing is you’re getting Mikal from age 26-30 which is his absolute prime. With Booker locked up idk how you can’t have an elite defensive wing next to him. He’ll definitely have leverage and interest from other clubs.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thing is you’re getting Mikal from age 26-30 which is his absolute prime. With Booker locked up idk how you can’t have an elite defensive wing next to him. He’ll definitely have leverage and interest from other clubs.

I want to keep him but giving him $25 million a year is near max money and he's not worth that. He's a great defender but his offense is inconsistent and even when he is producing offensively its typically in the mid teens. Look at a list of the highest paid Small Forwards and he not in the tier that deserves more than $20 million a year. A few guys making that now don't deserve it but received it because they're at the end of deals they were offered coming off their rookie deals, like Wiggins, Harrison Barnes, and Otto Porter.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/rankings/2020-21/cap-hit/small-forward/

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For comparison, Jaylen Brown signed a 4 year $106 million dollar extension with Boston. I think Mikal is equal to him as a defender but not nearly the offensive player he is. So paying him the same doesn't make sense. Jaylen Brown is only 6 days older than Mikal also so their age is very similar except Brown has been in the league 1 year longer. I don't see Mikal making the jump to being an All-Star next year or in the next few years because he's just not that good of a scorer to get that recognition.

I can't see Mikal getting an offer that big on the open market either. At best he's the 3rd player in your Big 3 and as that you don't pay him max or near max money.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson