Suns updates and discussion for the 2019-20 season

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the hold up happens to be.

I remember following that last summer. Someone who tried promoting on the Suns reddit beat Kelly to the punch filing for the trademark to Valley Boyz and had been trying to hit it rich by holding it hostage. Unfortunately the way trademarks work, he was legally in the clear but Kelly wasn't going to give up without a fight. Since Kelly refused to cut the guy a check, opting to pay legal fees instead, we'll see it drawn out to the point that the trademark is essentially worthless.

How many times did you hear mention of the "Valley Boyz" this year? Not nearly as often as the half season that Kelly was here for in the prior season. When you did hear it though it was likely initiated by fans or commentators instead of the players because the players understand what happened with the trademark. It sucks because it was a cool thing to see grow at first and to see it die off because some "fan" was greedy doesn't help the perception of Suns fans.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember following that last summer. Someone who tried promoting on the Suns reddit beat Kelly to the punch filing for the trademark to Valley Boyz and had been trying to hit it rich by holding it hostage. Unfortunately the way trademarks work, he was legally in the clear but Kelly wasn't going to give up without a fight. Since Kelly refused to cut the guy a check, opting to pay legal fees instead, we'll see it drawn out to the point that the trademark is essentially worthless.

How many times did you hear mention of the "Valley Boyz" this year? Not nearly as often as the half season that Kelly was here for in the prior season. When you did hear it though it was likely initiated by fans or commentators instead of the players because the players understand what happened with the trademark. It sucks because it was a cool thing to see grow at first and to see it die off because some "fan" was greedy doesn't help the perception of Suns fans.

What a shame. You are right, I haven't heard the term lately. I hope it's resolved soon because it was doing some good things. I would think whoever coined the term first would carry some weight.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a shame. You are right, I haven't heard the term lately. I hope it's resolved soon because it was doing some good things. I would think whoever coined the term first would carry some weight.

Kelly coined it but the "fan" decided to file for the trademark not long after hearing it the first time. I don't recall the timeframe but Kelly said it on TV during a Suns broadcast and the fan registered the trademark a couple days later. Kelly didn't file for the trademark until the season was over, which was almost 2 months after it was first said.

I think the whole trademark process is a little flawed because a player could introduce a term to the world and use it for a few days, only for a "fan" to decide to claim the trademark on it and try charging a mint for it when/if the player decides to register it himself and/or sell merchandise featuring it. I would bet the fan hoped Kelly would go straight into production on merch so he could slap him with an injunction because the trademark belongs to him and Kelly profited from it, giving him an easy lawsuit for a nice sum of cash.

Hearing how Kelly wants to create a Boys & Girls Club with the name makes it more frustrating. You can tell that the monetary part of it isn't what he's interested in and it's been tainted by someone who was hoping to profit off of Kelly's creativity.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kelly is calling the Suns the Bubble Boyz on Twitter. He mentioned putting out a playlist to share what the team is listening to during practices. I wonder how much he'll use that going forward. Obviously there is a built in expiration for it.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kelly coined it but the "fan" decided to file for the trademark not long after hearing it the first time. I don't recall the timeframe but Kelly said it on TV during a Suns broadcast and the fan registered the trademark a couple days later. Kelly didn't file for the trademark until the season was over, which was almost 2 months after it was first said.

I think the whole trademark process is a little flawed because a player could introduce a term to the world and use it for a few days, only for a "fan" to decide to claim the trademark on it and try charging a mint for it when/if the player decides to register it himself and/or sell merchandise featuring it. I would bet the fan hoped Kelly would go straight into production on merch so he could slap him with an injunction because the trademark belongs to him and Kelly profited from it, giving him an easy lawsuit for a nice sum of cash.

Hearing how Kelly wants to create a Boys & Girls Club with the name makes it more frustrating. You can tell that the monetary part of it isn't what he's interested in and it's been tainted by someone who was hoping to profit off of Kelly's creativity.

If clothing and other merchandise wasn't involved it would probably be easier to tweak the name than to go through the hassle of fighting over it.

I see since your earlier post you now mention the name "BubbleBoyz." So this appears to be a spinoff already.

Maybe the other party loses interest once they realize the name is not as valuable without the player and what it represents. Perhaps a settlement can be reached once the name is not considered a gold mine.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
From Andrew on Twitter:

Before the season was suspended, Deandre Ayton had THIS 6/9 game stretch in February:
25 points, 17 rebounds, 3 BLKS
28 points, 19 rebounds, 3 BLKS
28 points, 19 rebounds, 1 BLK
26 points, 12 rebounds, 4 BLKS
25 points, 17 rebounds, 2 BLKS
20 points, 14 rebounds, 1 BLK Special.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
From Andrew on Twitter:

Before the season was suspended, Deandre Ayton had THIS 6/9 game stretch in February:
Sexy

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
From Andrew on Twitter:

What were the other three games?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

12 & 6 with 2 blocks vs Houston
17 & 10 with 1 block vs Toronto
16 & 5 and 0 blocks vs Utah

No issues with the Toronto game. They are one of the top defensive teams in the league and Ayton had missed the previous 2 games due to an injury. He crapped the bed against Houston, in a game he should have dominated since they didn't have anyone over 6'8" to guard him.

It's worth noting the Suns won the Houston and Utah games. They beat Houston by 36 and beat Utah by 20 so Ayton's minutes weren't very high in either outing. He played 23 minutes against Houston and 21 against Utah.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No issues with the Toronto game. They are one of the top defensive teams in the league and Ayton had missed the previous 2 games due to an injury. He crapped the bed against Houston, in a game he should have dominated since they didn't have anyone over 6'8" to guard him.

It's worth noting the Suns won the Houston and Utah games. They beat Houston by 36 and beat Utah by 20 so Ayton's minutes weren't very high in either outing. He played 23 minutes against Houston and 21 against Utah.

The Utah game was memorable. I couldn't believe my eyes when the Suns blew out the Jazz in Utah. It was so uncharacteristic of the Jazz who are usually a well oiled machine. They were in the midst of a four game losing streak. This is taking nothing away from the Suns win.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

So 22, 13, 1.8 over the 9 games. Nice run. Don’t understand why they cherry pick 6 of 9. What was our record over that span?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I don't remember. I do remember this stretch because Chambers and the other guy talked about it before a Suns game. It was like he was waking up, and I believe he got hurt right after this streach and had to sit for a bunch of games.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So 22, 13, 1.8 over the 9 games. Nice run. Don’t understand why they cherry pick 6 of 9. What was our record over that span?

4-5, which is mediocre. It's even worse when 2 of the wins came during Ayton's worst games of that stretch.

It would make sense for a commentator to mention that if they were talking during the Detroit game, saying Ayton has averaged 22 & 13 throughout February. Bringing it up now makes little sense because it's every game in February minus the last two. When you look at his February average it's only slightly lower because he had 20 & 10 against Detroit and 20 & 9 versus Golden State, which dropped him down to 21.5 ppg compared to 21.9 and rebounds are down to 12.5 compared to 13.2. He does maintain the 1.9 blocks average since he had 2 blocks each in the Detroit and Golden State games.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/aytonde01/gamelog/2020

You must be registered for see images attach

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
4-5, which is mediocre. It's even worse when 2 of the wins came during Ayton's worst games of that stretch.

It would make sense for a commentator to mention that if they were talking during the Detroit game, saying Ayton has averaged 22 & 13 throughout February. Bringing it up now makes little sense because it's every game in February minus the last two. When you look at his February average it's only slightly lower because he had 20 & 10 against Detroit and 20 & 9 versus Golden State, which dropped him down to 21.5 ppg compared to 21.9 and rebounds are down to 12.5 compared to 13.2. He does maintain the 1.9 blocks average since he had 2 blocks each in the Detroit and Golden State games.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/aytonde01/gamelog/2020

You must be registered for see images attach
Just slightly better winning percentage than the entire season (goes from projected 33-49 to 36-46, both steep disappointments but 17 game leap from last year is progress).

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns new practice facility should be completed no later than early September. This will be a huge addition for next season and might help them in free agency.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Suns are 1 game out of the playoffs with 5 to play. Portland goes tonight against Houston, but even if they lose, we will still be 1 full game behind the Spurs.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Booker and Bridges getting some love from Zach Lowe: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/pa...s-like-including-most-exciting-nerd-thing-nba

5. Do not enter the Mikal Bridges vortex
Attacking Bridges one-on-one from a standstill is like exploring a black hole: It might be interesting for a few seconds, but nothing good is going to happen to you once you're in the vortex.

Devin Booker's buzzer-beater against the Clippers on Tuesday was possible only because one of Bridges' arms apparated into the path of Ivica Zubac's outlet pass after an initial Phoenix miss.

If Bridges keeps improving his 3-pointer -- he's up to 35% -- he will round into the perfect complement for Booker and Deandre Ayton: 3-and-D ace with just enough playmaking juice to keep the machine moving. He's one of the league's smartest off-ball cutters.

The Suns and Bridges are living proof that the process and results of team building don't always match. The Sixers won praise on draft night in 2018 for flipping Bridges (the No. 10 pick) for Zhaire Smith (No. 16) and an unprotected 2021 Miami first-rounder. In cold asset valuation terms, the Sixers won that deal.

Smith has played 143 minutes in 13 games. Bridges would be a snug fit next to Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid. Philly traded that Miami pick to the Clippers for Tobias Harris, and then re-signed Harris to a five-year, $180 million deal.

6. Devin Booker's passing
No, I will not sell you any of the Booker stock I purchased while corners of the NBA derided him as some empty-calories loser. (And, yes, Suns fans, I was one of the voices arguing Phoenix should not have been invited to the bubble. Even looking back today, I don't think I was wrong given what we knew then and what the NBA's priorities supposedly were -- i.e., limiting potential viral hosts. The Suns entered with less than 1% chance of finishing ninth, let alone making the playoffs, per our Kevin Pelton! They have proven everyone and everything wrong: humans, math, machines. It is a remarkable story.)

There has always been a weird disconnect between Booker's reputation and reality. He entered the league known as a 3-point virtuoso -- maybe the next Klay Thompson -- but proved more scorer than shooter. He can get buckets in any style, from any spot. As soon as Phoenix gave Booker the ball late in his rookie season, he showed way more passing chops than anyone -- including team higher-ups -- knew he had.

"We saw him as a traditional shooting guard," Ryan McDonough, the former Suns GM, told me in 2016. "To see him run the pick-and-roll, and make plays at this level -- that has surprised us."

Booker has dished almost seven dimes per game over the past two seasons. He navigates the pick-and-roll with a cadence that is somehow both smooth and unpredictable for defenses. Some ball handlers react. The best manipulate. Booker is a manipulator. He is a master at keeping options open, and disguising which one he prefers.

He has slung some passes in the bubble that make you think, "Wait, was that Luka Doncic? LeBron?"

Dorian Finney-Smith, guarding Cameron Johnson in the left corner -- is just outside the paint:

Booker suckers him with a glance at Ayton. Finney-Smith lurches there. Booker whips the ball to Johnson while Finney-Smith is leaning toward Ayton. Finney-Smith has no shot to recover.

Ricky Rubio) lurking behind that cutter:

Malcolm Brogdon last summer, and he is a more obvious fit on offense next to Booker. "Phoenix was very serious," Brogdon told me in the fall. "That was definitely a possibility for me." But Rubio's good, and Phoenix needed someone good.

Booker might be Exhibit A in why the NBA should have included seeding games in awards balloting. He was a borderline All-NBA candidate, and he would have leapfrogged onto more ballots.

You'll have to hit the link to see the video examples.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose