Suns updates and discussion for the 2019-20 season

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A trade for 4/5 has been needed for awhile. This elevates the need. Hopefully the Suns are shopping for one.

Saric being useless recently is what makes it really painful. He is -19 in 14 minutes of play

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saric being useless recently is what makes it really painful. He is -19 in 14 minutes of play

And his weaknesses are magnified since he can't protect the rim. Almost every team is taking it to the basket.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It took the Phoenix Suns until March 4th to win 14 games last season. At that point they were 14-51.

They’re 14-21 and it’s January 3rd.

People can continue to bitch & moan about James Jones... or about the make-up of this particular team... or about Ayton and his “lack of aggression”...
But the reality is this:
Jones started the process of cleaning up what was a heap of garbage that was epically and historically horrific. This type of turn-around is extremely impressive by any and all measures.
He will continue the clean up process while fortifying the foundation, establishing the proper conditions that will lead to this team enjoying sustained success for years to come.
Who knows of that will ultimately lead to a championship... but I have little doubt that Jones is on his way toward ensuring this franchise is once again, a routine presence in the post season.

Other than making the obvious hire in Monty Williams and the obvious move in bringing in whichever legitimate NBA point guard was willing to sign with us as a stop gap (granted, something McDonough refused to do for two-plus seasons, cementing his status as one of the worst GMs ever and exemplifying the mistake it was not to fire him before last year's draft), James Jones really has nothing to do the improvement.

In fact, if James Jones got what he wanted, this roster would have Terry Rozier at point guard instead of Rubio and Dillon Brooks instead of Kelly Oubre. That roster, even with Monty at coach, would be much closer to last year's pace.

In any event, other than the obvious gap being filled at point guard, this roster really isn't all that much improved from the roster that ended last season.

The reasons for the improvement are clear: Having at least a serviceable starting point guard, and especially having a competent head coach in Monty instead of the disaster that was Igor Kokoskov.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Other than making the obvious hire in Monty Williams and the obvious move in bringing in whichever legitimate NBA point guard was willing to sign with us as a stop gap (granted, something McDonough refused to do for two-plus seasons, cementing his status as one of the worst GMs ever and exemplifying the mistake it was not to fire him before last year's draft), James Jones really has nothing to do the improvement.

In fact, if James Jones got what he wanted, this roster would have Terry Rozier at point guard instead of Rubio and Dillon Brooks instead of Kelly Oubre. That roster, even with Monty at coach, would be much closer to last year's pace.

In any event, other than the obvious gap being filled at point guard, this roster really isn't all that much improved from the roster that ended last season.

The reasons for the improvement are clear: Having at least a serviceable starting point guard, and especially having a competent head coach in Monty instead of the disaster that was Igor Kokoskov.

On the bright side I'm putting you on ignore for awhile.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
On the bright side I'm putting you on ignore for awhile.

Do what you feel you must, but if anyone thinks that adding the likes of Cam Johnson, Ty Jerome, Dario Saric and Frank Kaminsky, and trying to add the likes of Terry Rozier and Dillon Brooks, somehow constitutes "cleaning up the process, while fortifying the foundation, establishing the proper conditions that will lead to this team enjoying sustained success for years to come", I'm afraid they are in for a rude awakening, just as those who initially praised Ryan McDonough after the surprise (and as it turns out accidental) 48-34 season were...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Maybe Diallo gets more work?

If so, Kaminsky's injury might be a blessing in disguise (though I never wish for players to get hurt).

Of course, it likely also means more work for Saric, which isn't a good thing...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
In the meantime, it's agonizing to realize that we endured the second worst season in franchise history (second only to our expansion season), only to be rewarded for that ordeal with...Dario Saric and Cam Johnson.

Ugh...

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe Diallo gets more work?

Not sure that will help. I think the only reason he's looked decent or good is he's used sparingly right now and it's contract to Kaminsky. If he gets extended minutes then I think we'll see why he doesn't get regular minutes now. When he saw extended time in preseason he was awful. I know that's preseason but for guys like Diallo, that's where you can make your mark and earn some time.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not sure that will help. I think the only reason he's looked decent or good is he's used sparingly right now and it's contract to Kaminsky. If he gets extended minutes then I think we'll see why he doesn't get regular minutes now. When he saw extended time in preseason he was awful. I know that's preseason but for guys like Diallo, that's where you can make your mark and earn some time.

Certainly a possibility, but even still I would prefer Diallo over Saric.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this has been posted. Suns should sign someone.

Kellan Olson‏Verified account @KellanOlson

The Kaminsky news makes it worth reminding that the Suns still have an open two-way spot. Jan. 15 is the deadline to sign guys to a two-way deal.

2:54 PM - 4 Jan 2020

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wizards have waived Jonathan Williams, center. I can't remember seeing him play but if the Suns are not going to do any trades he is someone to think about.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Gina Mizell (@ginamizell)
1/6/20, 3:42 PM
Dario Saric spoke to reporters following practice about his diminished role with the Ayton/Baynes starting lineup. “Of course, it’s kind of hard...but I am professional and I respect Coach’s decision.“ #Suns

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Kellen Olson:

“So Dragan Bender, Marquese Chriss and Josh Jackson will all not be active on an NBA roster. It took less than 4 seasons. Never going to get over how impressively bad that is.”

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kellen Olson:

“So Dragan Bender, Marquese Chriss and Josh Jackson will all not be active on an NBA roster. It took less than 4 seasons. Never going to get over how impressively bad that is.”

Wow that is horrible, i still can't understand why some want Bender back. Guess we just lucked into Booker.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow that is horrible, i still can't understand why some want Bender back. Guess we just lucked into Booker.

I'm in favor of adding him on a Two-Way contract but that's mainly because that's not enough of a gamble to be considered a real risk. I'd rather have Bender than an empty contract spot. I think he has more potential than any other big on our G-League team as well, but I wouldn't call that a glowing endorsement.

With Two-Way players there are 2 things to consider, IMO.

1. Is the player at the level where a Two-Way contract is realistic? It's unlikely he signs a guaranteed deal elsewhere and if he wants to continue to try to make it in the NBA then he'll need to sign a Two-Way deal or 10 day contract somewhere. I think a Two-Way deal would provide more certainty than a 10 day contract and he'd probably prefer that if he had the choice.

2. The other thing to consider is does the player have any untapped potential? I think Bender does. It's unlikely that he'll be able to realize that potential but I'd rather take a shot with him on our G-League team when/if he puts things together compared to another team's G-League affiliate.

I wouldn't say that's me wanting him back here though. If he goes to Europe then I'll forget about him in a year or two, for the most part. I'll remember him more for being a bad pick made by McD than anything else. I definitely won't lose any sleep or bash James Jones for not taking a final look at him before he boards a plane out of the country. It's unlikely he ever turns into a solid contributor but I like his chances compared to some other guys we've signed to Two-Way deals like Mike James, Shaq Harrison, Jawun Evans, and Jared Harper.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Bender about the same level as Diallo. Both deceloping players. Diallo better down low, with Booker better covering out to the three point line. Not going to move the meter as far as playoffs, Both development guys.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kellen Olson:

For what it worth, Bender and Jackson are on G-League rosters.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson