Suns updates and discussion for the 2019-20 season

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Mainstreet, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

To be fair to Ayton, he looks gassed next to players who are starting in the NBA right now and have been for the last 2 weeks while he's only practiced. Anyone is going to look gassed next to them.

I don't like reading it either but I think some consideration needs to be made before jumping to conclusions.

Dante likes this.
  2. Ronin

Ronin Registered

Gina Mizell (@ginamizell)
    11/8/19, 1:31 PM
    #Suns coach Monty Williams on today’s practice after Miami loss: “We’ve had some slippage the last 2-3 games. You hate losing a game, but you can also redeem some really good stuff from a loss.”

3. Ronin

Ronin Registered

Per Monty, biggest “slippages” were fewer contested shots (or fouling instead of contesting correctly), lack of game-plan discipline (pick-and-roll coverages, etc.) and understanding the scouting report is now out in them. “We’re not sneaking up on teams..” #Suns

4. Ronin

Ronin Registered

More Monty: “Because we have really good guys, they were all on board. They all knew what we needed to do. And the No. 1 guy was Devin. He knows our absolutes. He knows the things that we’re trying to teach. None of our guys take coaching personally.” #Suns

5. Ronin

Ronin Registered

More Monty: “It was a really good environment today. You can hear the gym. This is what we want to create. Win or lose, our gym has to be like this...nothing can mess with the culture, nothing should be able to mess with our atmosphere on the gym.” Gym was lively today. #Suns

Mainstreet likes this.
  6. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

not crazy about Ayton being gassed.

also, really starting to worry about Bridges. He might end up being a very good, lock defender night in, night out, but he doesn't appear noticeably bigger to me and his offense is still non-existent.

also... Cam Johnson has to start making shots if he wants to stay on the floor. For all the talk about getting older guys because "they're ready to contribute immediately", that's starting to come into question with both Bridges and Johnson. Yes, Bridges contributes defensively, but if we're playing 4 on 5 on offense with him in there... or 3 on 5 on offense with him and cam in there, that's going to start biting us in the ass.

all said, not panicking after last night's loss. this team is neither as bad as they looked last night, nor as good as they looked in the 5-2 start. I expect ups and downs this season and still stoked about progress. Now, they just need to go out and pound the Nets and get ready for another huge test against the Lakers.

BC867 likes this.
  7. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

It's good to see Ty Jerome putting up jump shots.

8. Mainstreet

9. Ronin

Ronin Registered

10. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

Some things about Ricky Rubio so far through 9 games of the season (8 played)

1. 3 point shooting. 37.5%. Career best
    2. 8.6 assists.
    3. 2.3 turnovers. Career low.
    4. 6.8 rebounds. Career best by a lot.

Just a few games ago, his outside shot looked horrible. He has improved his percentage a lot in a few games. His mid-range shot is still not good.

11. ProdigalSun

ProdigalSun Registered

Rubio’s game has similar strengths to Kidd back in the day. Kidd was able to improve the spot up 3 later in his career... maybe Rubio can do the same?

Mainstreet, WildBB and Hoop Head like this.
  12. Mainstreet

13. Mainstreet

This could impact the Suns if Fox is not ready to play when the Suns face the Kings on November 19th.

Zach Lowe‏Verified account @ZachLowe_NBA

Sacramento's De'Aaron Fox suffered an apparent ankle sprain at practice today, sources tell @wojespn and me. Kings medical team is doing testing to determine the severity of the injury, and if Fox needs to miss any time, sources say.

2:43 PM - 11 Nov 2019

14. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

I was going to make that same comparison after seeing the numbers for him. Here's hoping he can keep up that 3pt shooting going forward.

Unlike some other bad shooters like Lonzo and Ben Simmons, Rubio is good at the FT line, so I think confidence is a big thing he struggles with for his shooting.

ProdigalSun likes this.
  15. Superbone

Superbone Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan

I've noticed that Rubio's shot is flat. He just needs to add a little arc to it. I hope he's working on that.

ProdigalSun likes this.