Suns @ Trail Blazers Monday game thread 12-30-19

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
All of our bigs played like wimps for most of the game. Other than a brief stretch for baynes and ayton, they were bad.

It still feels like we're one piece away from something really special
I think you're right , if we can just insert 1 or 2 prime HOF players into this squad for the right cost at the trade deadline we should have a chance

iVAN

Reaction score
Unpopular opinion: This was a true SUPERSTAR performance from Devin Booker. From start to finish.

Suns ship submerging any time Booker stayed on the floor except for the big final run. The guy had a measly +3 on the floor despite the "superstar numbers". Get off his nuts.

Rubio +21 Oubre +17 Bridges +18

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Suns ship submerging any time Booker stayed on the floor except for the big final run. The guy had a measly +3 on the floor despite the "superstar numbers". Get off his nuts.

Yup, I just looked at the full analysis.
You must be registered for see images attach

Despite Booker spending a lot of time bringing up and dribbling the ball throughout most of the game, Rubio started turning assists when he could get the ball and wound up with 13.

But Devin's attempting no 3's and going 15/for/15 at the free throw line filled a role that our big men should achieve.

And Ayton's 12 rebounds to go with Baynes' 9 helped. Bridges' 13 points along with his defense played a large part. Hopefully we'll see the scoring we've been hoping for from him.

Saric's 2 points, 2 rebounds and minus-12 were pathetic. If either Cam or Bridges were covering for him at PF, they had 4 rebounds between them. We do indeed need two new Power Forwards to stand up to better teams.

The same with backup Point Guard. Okobo had 2 assists and Carter none in the 14 minutes they played between them. We need a legitimate backup Point Guard to once and for all play Booker at Shooting Guard.

A lead Power Forward, a backup Power Forward and a backup Point Guard. Let's see what Jones does about it.

With the horrible losing streak we've been in, despite the last two games, we have nowhere to go but up. Any decent General Manager (or managing investor) should be foaming at the mouth for that opportunity. It would take an incompetent to not pull that off.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
that was hopefully gonna be Zion. I'm stunned we didn't get him at this point with how cursed his career might end up being.

Right, but Williamson aside, the ideal PF for the Suns would be someone who's fundamentally sound, is a reliable threat in the post, and gets to the free-throw line. Another superstar athlete would be great, but doesn't address the same needs.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Right, but Williamson aside, the ideal PF for the Suns would be someone who's fundamentally sound, is a reliable threat in the post, and gets to the free-throw line. Another superstar athlete would be great, but doesn't address the same needs.

GIANNIS 2021

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
y.

Calm down, Ayton.
Happy to see winning means something. But yeah, get your raw shooting percentage over .500 and maybe hit more than zero FTs in three games and then start crowing. He’s taken 1 free throw in 78 minutes.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Wow, what a terrible take (individual +/- is a useless stat) and then you double down with an insult?
So, because Rubio could not guard Lilard when he was hot and got subbed out during his onslaught, he gets praised for having a +21 for riding the pine as they were going down by 19?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Derrick Favors? He'll be a free agent this summer. New Orleans may trade him before the deadline also. He signed there as veteran F/C who could be paired with Zion in their frontcourt and give them size. I think he'd help on the boards and play in the post. Not sure how often he gets to the FT line but he does play like a big rather than a 6'10" guard out on the perimeter.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Derrick Favors? He'll be a free agent this summer. New Orleans may trade him before the deadline also. He signed there as veteran F/C who could be paired with Zion in their frontcourt and give them size. I think he'd help on the boards and play in the post. Not sure how often he gets to the FT line but he does play like a big rather than a 6'10" guard out on the perimeter.
Ooh, I like Favors if he is available.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Got home late, so I just finished watching the game. I am impressed that they never gave up and crawled back into the game after being down 19 early on. Booker was amazing, Oubre was incredible, Rubio was solid, Bridges and Cam did what they needed to do. Ayton looked like garbage for 75% of the game, but his sheer size was huge on several possessions. His length bothers people, and he grabs some rebounds simply due to his size. Great job by the Suns! Let's see if they can keep winning now.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The most encouraging thing about this game, to me, was that we are night and day better defensively when Ayton is on the court, even if he isn't blocking shots. The dude is gobbling up rebounds and shutting down drives and passing angles constantly.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That would be jerry colangelo era magic.

I can't imagine how much JC regrets selling the team. He sold them at a point when fielding a contending NBA team in any market outside of a major city meant being in the red.

Now... the NBA is a no-risk venture. You can be wildly incompetent, suck out loud, spend out your ears and you'll still make money.

iVAN

Reaction score
Wow, what a terrible take (individual +/- is a useless stat) and then you double down with an insult?
So, because Rubio could not guard Lilard when he was hot and got subbed out during his onslaught, he gets praised for having a +21 for riding the pine as they were going down by 19?

just change your name to bookersportfan already, and you took the "insult" personally I see.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Got home late, so I just finished watching the game. I am impressed that they never gave up and crawled back into the game after being down 19 early on. Booker was amazing, Oubre was incredible, Rubio was solid, Bridges and Cam did what they needed to do. Ayton looked like garbage for 75% of the game, but his sheer size was huge on several possessions. His length bothers people, and he grabs some rebounds simply due to his size. Great job by the Suns! Let's see if they can keep winning now.

Yeah, he often snags long rebounds few others on the floor can get to.

He looked a little tentative on the ankle, but often he just looks tentative so it's hard to know. I'm looking forward to a long injury-free stretch.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow nice to wake up and see suns actually came back from 19 to win that's unheard of from the suns lol :).

Great to see Booker and rubio ball again hopefully they got sick of losing....

Meh on ayton 12 rebounds is nice hope his offense picks up after more gms

I saw twolves trying to trade towns what would it take to get him that would be a very nice addition

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn