Suns trade ideas for the fall of 2020

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He has been an above league average defender every year. You may be selling him short

Also, we have to think what reasonably improves the team

We could do worse, I guess. I just remember him in Tucson as well, and he couldn't defend a chair there.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I would take a hard run at Markkanen. He is an asset on defense and provides the floor stretching we need.

He had a down year so price wouldn't be steep. Maybe even Oubre
They are going to get a new coach. I would say there is not much chance of us getting him.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
They are going to get a new coach. I would say there is not much chance of us getting him.
I agree. I thought he would be gone for sure if Boylen was still there. But I am guessing they will hire a more developmental coach (like Atkinson) and at least give him a year with all the young players.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Well, it’s all about drafting well, drafting archetypes of successful players, and taking shots on your teams’ ability to develop the raw matter they receive, and not being wedded you THE TOP GUYZ on Bleacher Report and The Ringer lol.

There’s no reason PG or Kawhi couldn’t go top3 in a draft. Teams just draft poorly; especially the ones that are always picking high up.
Oookay. Whatever you say. There are GREAT players at the top of this draft. Melo is the next Lebron. Wiseman is the next kg. Edwards is the next Kobe.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You could also sell a new coach on a change

Oubre for Markkanen is very fair. If not for Bridges / Cam I wouldn't trade Oubre

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You could also sell a new coach on a change

Oubre for Markkanen is very fair. If not for Bridges / Cam I wouldn't trade Oubre
Fair for who? I'm not so sure it's a good deal for us. Markannen regressed badly this past season. Could have been the coach, sure, but he's still a young player with potential. I don't know if Chicago will be willing to get rid of that for Oubre who is more similar to Levine. If one considers Oubre "small", then they would be violating that basic of rules, "Never trade Big for Small."

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Fair for who? I'm not so sure it's a good deal for us. Markannen regressed badly this past season. Could have been the coach, sure, but he's still a young player with potential. I don't know if Chicago will be willing to get rid of that for Oubre who is more similar to Levine. If one considers Oubre "small", then they would be violating that basic of rules, "Never trade Big for Small."

That rule is out-dated.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Besides, if we trade Oubre, I would rather have Aaron Gordon.

I have to think one of Oubre or Bridges is going to be traded soon enough. The Suns are not going to give Oubre a huge extension in 2021 and follow that up with a huge extension for Bridges at the same position in 2022. I just hope we get decent value in return, for a change.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I don't trust any of these cap figures, they're all based on projected growth... prior to Covid, the revenue isn't going to grow, the league is going to make significantly less this season than the previous years.

I think, at best, we will have a static cap, more likely it will be lower than this season's.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't trust any of these cap figures, they're all based on projected growth... prior to Covid, the revenue isn't going to grow, the league is going to make significantly less this season than the previous years.

I think, at best, we will have a static cap, more likely it will be lower than this season's.

Yeah, between Covid and the loss of revenues from China, it has to go down IMO.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NBA players should be prepared to take less. As I mentioned before, I think we will see a lot of one year contracts.

A less than premier free agent class will make it more palatable.

Those teams who have sizeable cap space could do some damage though. Teams will be wanting to make trade players with little or nothing coming back.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(This assumes The Bucks totally flame out against the Magic)

I’ve got the pie-est in the sky hypothetical assuming we get a top 4 pick.

Assuming the Bucks get bounced early in the playoffs and Giannis is unhappy rumblings start rumbling, we make this offer:

DeAndre
Oubre
Lotto Pick (especially if it’s high)

For

Giannis

Resign Baynes to start at C, Dario as backup and tender Payne/Carter

Rubio
Booker
Cam Johnson
Giannis
Baynes

Bench:
Dario
Bridges
Carter
Payne

That team might be ready to compete NEXT year, or at least make the jump to a four seed

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

Assuming the Bucks get bounced early in the playoffs and Giannis is unhappy rumblings start rumbling, we make this offer:

DeAndre
Oubre

For

Giannis

Rubio
Booker
Cam Johnson
Giannis
Baynes

Bench:
Dario
Bridges
Carter
Payne

That team might be ready to compete NEXT year, or at least make the jump to a four seed
Do you think that Baynes could hold up as starting Center?

Or that Dario could duplicate his success as a backup Power Forward by playing Center?

I think we'd go to the weakest Center coverage in the League.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you think that Baynes could hold up as starting Center?

Or that Dario could duplicate his success as a backup Power Forward by playing Center?

I think we'd go to the weakest Center coverage in the League.

we'd have the two-time MVP and a an all-NBA caliber wing with shooting all around and great bench with interchangeable parts. the C position would be the biggest question mark, but the C position at this point in the league should be the least of anyone teams worries, especially if you have a Giannis at PF.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

DeAndre
Oubre

For

Giannis

Rubio
Booker
Cam Johnson
Giannis
Baynes

Bench:
Dario
Bridges
Carter
Payne

How do we know that Giannis remains with the Suns? He is on an expiring contract.

It would be sort of like Leonard going to the Raptors. There is no guarantee he stays.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So I was listening to some conjecture on the radio. Suns will be one of the few teams with cap space next year before TV money. So if TV money cannot expand the salary cap, we would be one of the few teams that could outright sign people.
'

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I was listening to some conjecture on the radio. Suns will be one of the few teams with cap space next year before TV money. So if TV money cannot expand the salary cap, we would be one of the few teams that could outright sign people.
'

Atlanta and the Pistons have the most money to spend in free agency.

The cap hold for Saric and Baynes is about $10 million each which takes up most of their Suns salary space.

The Suns could renounce one, eg., Baynes but that would give them only about $10 million to spend. Renouncing both would give them about $20 million.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

DeAndre
Oubre

For

Giannis

Rubio
Booker
Cam Johnson
Giannis
Baynes

Bench:
Dario
Bridges
Carter
Payne

My dream scenario right now is the Lakers getting bounced early and AD seeing that aging Lebron won't be enough to contend with and they won't be able to afford a 3rd star in the blockbuster 2021 FA class even with only he Lebron and Deng(lol) on the books unless he takes a pay cut. And even then they will only be able to afford vet min ring chasers or guys just looking for a shot. Suns could theoretically sign him and keep most of the team intact. Would have to trade Oubre for capspace(GSW TPE would make sense), renounce Baynes and hope to sign Saric in the 7-8mil starting range. In additional to all the obvious cuts of Frank, Diallo and Okobo.

And technically we could do your trade idea and sign AD if we included one of Cam or Mikal(pretty sure adding Mikal and future firsts would be required anyway). Wouldn't have much depth but a starting line-up of Rubio/Booker/Cam/Freak/AD would be fun(although I'm pretty sure part of the allure for AD coming here would be playing with a young C who is going to command big minutes)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My dream scenario right now is the Lakers getting bounced early and AD seeing that aging Lebron won't be enough to contend with and they won't be able to afford a 3rd star in the blockbuster 2021 FA class even with only he Lebron and Deng(lol) on the books unless he takes a pay cut. And even then they will only be able to afford vet min ring chasers or guys just looking for a shot. Suns could theoretically sign him and keep most of the team intact. Would have to trade Oubre for capspace(GSW TPE would make sense), renounce Baynes and hope to sign Saric in the 7-8mil starting range. In additional to all the obvious cuts of Frank, Diallo and Okobo.

And technically we could do your trade idea and sign AD if we included one of Cam or Mikal(pretty sure adding Mikal and future firsts would be required anyway). Wouldn't have much depth but a starting line-up of Rubio/Booker/Cam/Freak/AD would be fun(although I'm pretty sure part of the allure for AD coming here would be playing with a young C who is going to command big minutes)
I’ve been talking about just this scenario for a little whole now. AD and Monty are close. You give up less than you would for Giannis, and you lock AD up long term.

and yes. It can be done by dumping our FA’s and trading Oubre for cap space.

Our Frontline is AD, DA, Mikal. The. You have Book and Rubio in the Front court. Trade our pick for the best combo guard we can find or draft Halliburton .

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

DeAndre
Oubre

For

Giannis

Rubio
Booker
Cam Johnson
Giannis
Baynes

Bench:
Dario
Bridges
Carter
Payne

The Suns would have to be completely soured on Ayton to risk this. Maybe they know something we don’t and feel nervous about paying him in two years... They’d also have to good enough next year to convince him to stay.

That’s not even touching on whether Milwaukee would do it. It would be interesting to see what offers would beat that while still having enough pieces to compete with Giannis. It would have to be a Paul George type deal where there’s a million picks.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The Suns would have to be completely soured on Ayton to risk this. Maybe they know something we don’t and feel nervous about paying him in two years... They’d also have to good enough next year to convince him to stay.

That’s not even touching on whether Milwaukee would do it. It would be interesting to see what offers would beat that while still having enough pieces to compete with Giannis. It would have to be a Paul George type deal where there’s a million picks.
Ayton, oubre and 3 first rounders (including this years).

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Ayton, oubre and 3 first rounders (including this years).

I was saying that’s what another team would offer to beat our deal. For a player with one year left on his deal a Oubre/Ayton package is pretty strong.

I think it’s better than what San Antonio got for Kawhi and slightly worse than what New Orleans got for AD.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Jerome, Frank the tank, Okobo and Owens for cash considerations. If any of them go off for 50 in next years bubble im ok with that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard