ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Rubio
Booker
Oubre
X
Ayton

is a pretty awful three point shooting line-up. The X has to be a 40%+ volume guy or there will be zero space for Booker and Ayton to operate.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Rubio
Booker
Oubre
X
Ayton

is a pretty awful three point shooting line-up. The X has to be a 40%+ volume guy or there will be zero space for Booker and Ayton to operate.

The problem is theat if X isn't a superior defender, rim protector and rebounder, that line-up is basically an opponent lay-up line waiting to happen, plus it is over-dependent on jump shots offensively. Ayton can't be expected to handle interior defense and interior scoring by himself, particularly given that he hasn't proved to be all that dependable in his own right...

Last edited:

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The problem is theat if X isn't a superior defender, rim protector and rebounder, that line-up is basically an opponent lay-up line waiting to happen, plus it is over-dependent on jumo shots offensively. Ayton can't be expected to handle interior defense and interior scoring by himself, particularly given that he hasn't proved to be all that dependable in his own right...

seems like if X has to be all of these different things then the lineup construction sucks and we should upgrade across the board. I’m not saying we shouldn’t. Booker is the only guy that unqualifiedly *deserves* a starter spot (and that’s the case only when he’s playing hard on D).

We should NOT BE DRAFTING FOR FIT when we are so talent deprived.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We should draft someone better than Oubre/Ricky at minimum. We should be drafting somebody with a higher ceiling than current DA.

That’s if we get in top4.

If end up drafting #10/#11 (which is our spot like 85% of the time), we should pray someone like Hayes or Deni falls in our lap and let them learn offense at Ricky’s knee for a couple years before assuming PG role on O. If Hayes/Deni aren’t there in that spot, which is very likely, then we will probably end up with a wing like Vassell/Okoro/Nesmith. Wish we had a 2nd round pick to use on Flynn or Madar.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
seems like if X has to be all of these different things then the lineup construction sucks and we should upgrade across the board. I’m not saying we shouldn’t. Booker is the only guy that unqualifiedly *deserves* a starter spot (and that’s the case only when he’s playing hard on D).

The Suns were not talent deprived but they didn't have key players at the right time.

Ayton was suspended 25 games.

Also the Suns had players out with injury for some reason or another like Oubre and Baynes.

The Suns have ten NBA players on their current roster: Ayton, Booker, Oubre, Bridges and Rubio. Additionally add Cam Johnson, Baynes, Saric, Carter and Payne.

The Suns do need more shooting, rim protection and rebounding.

They should be able to improve this part of the roster: Diallo, Kaminsky, Jerome, Okobo and Lecque.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Maybe the Suns could swing for the fences and pick someone like Bolmaro at 10/11. He’s probably the best perimeter defender in the draft and a top-10 ball-handler. If he learns to shoot he will be insanely valuable. Probably goes to a smart team in mid20s.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We should draft someone better than Oubre/Ricky at minimum. We should be drafting somebody with a higher ceiling than current DA.

If end up drafting #10/#11 (which is our spot like 85% of the time), we should pray someone like Hayes or Deni falls in our lap and let them learn offense at Ricky’s knee for a couple years before assuming PG role on O. If Hayes/Deni aren’t there in that spot, which is very likely, then we will probably end up with a wing like Vassell/Okoro/Nesmith. Wish we had a 2nd round pick to use on Flynn or Madar.
I think you’re failing to recognize how poor the top of this draft is, relatively speaking.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

There I agree with you.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
no to all these guys, except Okongwu and maybe Turner.

Suns need perimeter contain defense way more than interior defense. Ayton is a good rum protector, and Bridges and Oubre have shown good signs. Dario is good at walling up inside and is plenty tough. The Suns struggled mightily at containing dribble penetration: even Bridges isn’t the best at this.

The Suns pass the ball well and create lots of good looks from 3 due to Ayton’s gravity, so they should prioritize finding guys that can

1. Guard the perimeter
2. Shoot from deep
3. Attack off secondary action
4. Are at least 6’5”

They absolutely should not prioritize “interior defense” at the expense of spacing on O: that negates DA’s biggest value (individually in terms of rim runs, and team offense in terms of inverted gravity).

If we don’t get a ticket to top4 and have a chance to draft Edwards or Hayes or Deni as a top flight co-pilot with Book to eventually supplant Ricky, then we should look at guys like Vassell, Nesmith, Bey and Bey, Green, etc.

Is that why he does such flaky things?

He protects the rum?

Eh eh, mon.

'Sorry couldn't resist. :)

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

There is not a PG in this draft that is better than Rubio is right now and it'll probably take 3 years for one of them to be better. Ricky is in the 10-15 range of starting PG's right now and I don't see anyone from this draft being in the top half of starters as a rookie. There's no Ja Morant in this class. LaMelo is the top PG and he's actually a worse shooter and is much more of a ball stopper than Rubio has ever been. I can't see him co-existing with Booker for long either so he's not the better player you're looking for. There are some intriguing PG's like Halliburton and Hayes but they're not ready to start on a team like the Suns, who are in win now mode.

Wiseman has a higher ceiling but we don't need a Center and would be better trading the pick or taking him and trading him or Ayton around the All-Star break. Taking him to trade later isn't a great move for a team that should be fighting for the playoffs all year so trading the pick is a better plan. The value of that pick won't be very high though. It's unlikely anyone would part with an All-Star unless they had a really bad contract, like Kevin Love, John Wall, Blake Griffin sort of bad.

I wouldn't trade Oubre for the #1 pick and I doubt I'm alone in that regard. There isn't a wing who is better than Oubre, definitely not as a rookie or sophomore. If the team who gets the #1 pick decides to trade it then the best they can hope for is a player like Oubre, a guy who is a good scorer, decent defender, and one of the best high energy tone setters in the league. The top wing, Edwards, is similar to Barrett and I'll bet his numbers this year will be quite similar to RJ's as well, 14.3 ppg, 5.0 rpg, and 2.6 apg while shooting 40.2% from the field and 32% from 3. RJ's college stats were better than Edwards and he was competing with Reddish and Zion for touches.

I agree with Ouchie that you are failing to recognize how poor the top of this draft is. Even if the Suns get #1 overall, they won't be able to draft anyone there who will take either Rubio or Oubre's starting roles. I can't see a team in the lottery that desperate to add Wiseman, Edwards, or Ball that they're willing to part with a player who can contribute now and for the next 2-3 seasons. Those 3 are the top 3 prospects and I don't think any of them are locks to be All-Stars anytime soon. Oubre's odds off being an All-Star in the next 3 years are probably the same as theirs.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The problem is theat if X isn't a superior defender, rim protector and rebounder, that line-up is basically an opponent lay-up line waiting to happen, plus it is over-dependent on jump shots offensively. Ayton can't be expected to handle interior defense and interior scoring by himself, particularly given that he hasn't proved to be all that dependable in his own right...

Or we have Bridges, Oubre and Ayton fill the 3,4,5 slots and have great defense, athleticism and solid shooting. That lineup shut down the rim, forced turnovers and out rebounded their foes. Rubio, Booker, Bridges, Oubre and Ayton were one of the best 5 man units in the entire league, we should want MORE of that lineup, not less.

Regardless of what happens with Saric we do desperately need another big, someone who is capable of playing 20+ minutes a game. Toppin or Okongwu would be my preferences from the draft, based on current mocks one of them should be available at our selection. If they can't be had then I would gladly take Ibaka as a stop gap, throw him a one year overpay.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or we have Bridges, Oubre and Ayton fill the 3,4,5 slots and have great defense, athleticism and solid shooting. That lineup shut down the rim, forced turnovers and out rebounded their foes. Rubio, Booker, Bridges, Oubre and Ayton were one of the best 5 man units in the entire league, we should want MORE of that lineup, not less.

Regardless of what happens with Saric we do desperately need another big, someone who is capable of playing 20+ minutes a game. Toppin or Okongwu would be my preferences from the draft, based on current mocks one of them should be available at our selection. If they can't be had then I would gladly take Ibaka as a stop gap, throw him a one year overpay.

I would add Cam Johnson in there as well.

Quality defensive backups at 4/5 would help a lot when Ayton gets into early foul trouble or needs to sit.

I'm hoping the Suns keep Saric at a reasonable price, more so that Baynes if comes down to that.

One of the forwards out of the draft would provide depth.

I'd like to add a free agent like Chris Boucher. He seems like he is always a thorn in the Suns side.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
maybe, or maybe you’re underestimating it?
I don’t think so. I think this draft has been pretty consistently panned as being poor at the top. Some past drafts have turned out poorly at the top, but weren’t considered poor pre-draft. For instance, where you put the top 5 place in this draft in the 2018 draft? I think all 5 would go after Trae young, and maybe even after wendall Carter at 7.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Which means that Tyler Johnson's expiring contract was indeed completely wasted. Just another reason I don't trust Sarver and Jones not to screw things up royally this coming offseason

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There is not a PG in this draft that is better than Rubio is right now and it'll probably take 3 years for one of them to be better. Ricky is in the 10-15 range of starting PG's right now and I don't see anyone from this draft being in the top half of starters as a rookie. There's no Ja Morant in this class. LaMelo is the top PG and he's actually a worse shooter and is much more of a ball stopper than Rubio has ever been. I can't see him co-existing with Booker for long either so he's not the better player you're looking for. There are some intriguing PG's like Halliburton and Hayes but they're not ready to start on a team like the Suns, who are in win now mode.

Wiseman has a higher ceiling but we don't need a Center and would be better trading the pick or taking him and trading him or Ayton around the All-Star break. Taking him to trade later isn't a great move for a team that should be fighting for the playoffs all year so trading the pick is a better plan. The value of that pick won't be very high though. It's unlikely anyone would part with an All-Star unless they had a really bad contract, like Kevin Love, John Wall, Blake Griffin sort of bad.

I wouldn't trade Oubre for the #1 pick and I doubt I'm alone in that regard. There isn't a wing who is better than Oubre, definitely not as a rookie or sophomore. If the team who gets the #1 pick decides to trade it then the best they can hope for is a player like Oubre, a guy who is a good scorer, decent defender, and one of the best high energy tone setters in the league. The top wing, Edwards, is similar to Barrett and I'll bet his numbers this year will be quite similar to RJ's as well, 14.3 ppg, 5.0 rpg, and 2.6 apg while shooting 40.2% from the field and 32% from 3. RJ's college stats were better than Edwards and he was competing with Reddish and Zion for touches.

I agree with Ouchie that you are failing to recognize how poor the top of this draft is. Even if the Suns get #1 overall, they won't be able to draft anyone there who will take either Rubio or Oubre's starting roles. I can't see a team in the lottery that desperate to add Wiseman, Edwards, or Ball that they're willing to part with a player who can contribute now and for the next 2-3 seasons. Those 3 are the top 3 prospects and I don't think any of them are locks to be All-Stars anytime soon. Oubre's odds off being an All-Star in the next 3 years are probably the same as theirs.

You wouldn’t trade Kelly for the number one pick in this draft? Wow. That’s just...wow.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don’t think so. I think this draft has been pretty consistently panned as being poor at the top. Some past drafts have turned out poorly at the top, but weren’t considered poor pre-draft. For instance, where you put the top 5 place in this draft in the 2018 draft? I think all 5 would go after Trae young, and maybe even after wendall Carter at 7.

and some drafts have been declared weak and had many good players taken.

No way Trae goes ahead of top guys in this draft.

There isn’t a lock star like Duncan/LBJ/Luka, but there are always random guys like Harden/PG/Kawhi/Giannis in every “bad” draft.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
and some drafts have been declared weak and had many good players taken.

No way Trae goes ahead of top guys in this draft.

There isn’t a lock star like Duncan/LBJ/Luka, but there are always random guys like Harden/PG/Kawhi/Giannis in every “bad” draft.
With guys like giannis and Kawhi you’re talking finds. They aren’t reflective of the top guys in a draft. Yeah every draft has some gems, and not every draft plays out the way expected (like Lonzo, Jackson and fultz), but it doesn’t mean this is a strong draft. It’s not. And I believe Trae young would be #1 in this draft. What do others think on that item?

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well, it’s all about drafting well, drafting archetypes of successful players, and taking shots on your teams’ ability to develop the raw matter they receive, and not being wedded you THE TOP GUYZ on Bleacher Report and The Ringer lol.

There’s no reason PG or Kawhi couldn’t go top3 in a draft. Teams just draft poorly; especially the ones that are always picking high up.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Like, guys, we won’t be that good next year. We have a chance to be really good in 2-3 years so we should draft guys that have a chance to be really good in 2-3 years!

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would take a hard run at Markkanen. He is an asset on defense and provides the floor stretching we need.

He had a down year so price wouldn't be steep. Maybe even Oubre

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would take a hard run at Markkanen. He is an asset on defense and provides the floor stretching we need.

He had a down year so price wouldn't be steep. Maybe even Oubre

He is basically a better shooting version of Saric. We need more athleticism, defense and toughness at the 4 than Markkanen can offer.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Like, guys, we won’t be that good next year. We have a chance to be really good in 2-3 years so we should draft guys that have a chance to be really good in 2-3 years!

agreed. They are still in “get better” mode, not win now, IMO. You have to walk before you run and we basically finally learned how to stand on our own two feet and just started taking our first steps. Must think long-term success and in order to do that, this team is still going to need one more dynamic player to go with Booker, Ayton and what’s looking like a solid cadre of role players.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is basically a better shooting version of Saric. We need more athleticism, defense and toughness at the 4 than Markkanen can offer.

He has been an above league average defender every year. You may be selling him short

Also, we have to think what reasonably improves the team