Suns trade ideas for the fall of 2020

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not trading half the team for an ancient Chris Paul who before this run this year was pretty much on his death bed and hadn’t been healthy in a minute.

Paul is one of the greatest underachievers in the history of the NBA.

why would we have to trade half the team? Rubio and... eh, forget it. Convos here with you are usually devoid of facts which makes any discussion an exercise in futility.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Guys,
Can you please direct me to the massive injuries last season that caused Paul to miss

*checks notes*

2 games?

kelly Oubre is a paragon of health by contrast amirite?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I suck at the cap, but I think we could do it with just Rubio, Jerome, and Kaminsky (team option)... but I doubt that would get it done and it would kill all of our cap space.

Do you not understand how hard it is to move his contract?

They will do it cheap to get it off their books for far more movable pieces. We are the only team that would even consider trading for him.

That damn well better mean it is cheap.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Contract, age and injuries makes it difficult to rationalize giving up Rubio and Oubre.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
No thanks. I’d rather roll with Rubio and trade for Aaron Gordon.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
fragile?

he missed two games last year and played 31mpg?

Rubio is absolutely a poor man’s Paul that isn’t nearly the shooter/scorer/clutch player. Oubre is walking next year anyway and is somewhat expendable anyway given Cam and Mikal’s development.

2006 64
2009 45
2013 62
2016 61
2017 58
2018 58

he’s very fragile and now he’s 35 with a crap load of money left on his contract.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are under the cap. We could do it with just Rubio and Oubre.

that would suck tho if we blow some of our cap here. Best case is trade for Chris Paul and that entices a really good PF to come play also.

I mean, if there’s a universe where our starting lineup and bench looks like this:

Chris Paul
Booker
Bridges
Ibaka
Ayton

Bench:
Cam
Saric
Carter
Payne
10th Pick

If that team stays healthy, they don’t just make the playoffs... they could give someone in the second round a REAL scare before Paul inevitably loses for whatever reason he finds that keeps him from the WCF.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
dude he’s missed like 20+ games the last 4 years he’s always broke down at the end of the year.

2 last year. Cite for 20+?

he has had hamstring injuries in the past but nothing major structural (ACL/back/feet) that would be a red flag.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Phoenix is under cap though, aren't they? Can't a portion of CP3's salary be absorbed into the capspace?

Sure - but if you want to get a quality PF with 8 million in cap space, good luck.

I hate this. Not sure if we are on the hook for 5 million with Frank, but if we are he has to go back to OKC.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Thunder could unload Paul's contract to the Suns and say trade say Rubio to a third team, they would reap a windfall of assets by teams wanting to dump contracts to save money.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
2 last year. Cite for 20+?

he has had hamstring injuries in the past but nothing major structural (ACL/back/feet) that would be a red flag.

*ahem

2006 64
2009 45
2013 62
2016 61
2017 58
2018 58

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Embarrassing that anyone is even neutral on Rubio/Oubre for Paul, much less upset at the deal.

I will gladly post ~every national NBA writer talking about this one in terms akin to the Hopkins deal if that’s how it goes down.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
3-5 years ago, absolutely. Now. with Paul about to turn 36 with a ton of mileage on him (and a steep decline likely right around the corner), other holes on the roster to fill (most notably power forward), and the cost it would take to acquire him, not a chance. It would be beyond foolish.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah yes, sorry, missed that. But this only makes sense if Phoenix doesn't think it can do anything more productive with that cap space.

I'd like to get some draft picks included in trading for Chris Paul's contract. The Thunder have a ton.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Embarrassing that anyone is even neutral on Rubio/Oubre for Paul, much less upset at the deal.

I will gladly post ~every national NBA writer talking about this one in terms akin to the Hopkins deal if that’s how it goes down.

you know I’m sorry that’s just stupid.

your talking about Deandre Hopkins? Arguably the best WR in the NFL smack in his prime for a broke David Johnson and a 2nd rounder?

lol oh ok

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
3-5 years ago, absolutely. Now. with Paul about to turn 36 with a ton of mileage on him (and a steep decline likely right around the corner), other holes on the roster to fill (most notably power forward), and the cost it would take to acquire him, not a chance. It would be beyond foolish.

he plays entire season at 35 and entire next season at 36

he just played a full season missing 2 games?

the cost is ~nothing?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

If it's just Rubio and Oubre, and we somehow have a way to acquire a power forward, then if course it is a no brainer for us. The problem is that it will take a lot more than Rubio and Oubre, and we will be left without cap space or trade assets to acquire the starting power forward, back up shooting guard and back-up center we will still need.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
you know I’m sorry that’s just stupid.

your talking about Deandre Hopkins? Arguably the best WR in the NFL smack in his prime for a broke David Johnson and a 2nd rounder?

lol oh ok

Hopkins + cost of extension (also football guys get hurt sometimes too!) for 2nd rounder and DJ was a big steal no doubt

Paul for Ricky/Kelly is also a big steal perhaps not quite as big but really astonishingly big.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
missing 2019 cite friendo.
Try again. Oh wait. Lmaoooo.

He was also a top12ish player in the league last year.

lol those are years he’s missed a bunch of games, he’s hardly this Ironman your trying to make him out to be.