Suns trade for PF Darius Bazley

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bazley has a knack for blocking perimeter shots. He closes fast, gets just the right angle, is very long, and has quick up-and-down hops (reminiscent of Shawn Marion). Those physical skills are a great foundation on which to build an NBA game. If he can add quality shooting, he will be very valuable.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Loved the clips of him clamping some great scorers. If nothing else he might be good for spending 10-15 minutes a game just being a nuisance to someone like Luka. Those 10-15 minutes could be the difference between winning and losing some games.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Defense is great. But his 3pt shooting needs work (like many of our guys).

20/21 - 31mpg 29% 3pt shooting 83/286
21/22 - 28 mpg 29.7 3pt shooting 80/269
22/23 - 15.7mpg 40% 3pt shooting 18/45 this year.

He's lost minutes for 3 straight years. Lost shots accordingly. And seems to have now been asked to not shoot much from behind the arc.

Luckily this dude is super young. Wonder how cheap we can re-sign him for.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm probably too optimistic, but it seems like this guy could be a real contributor if there's no pressure on him to score.

I'm of the opposite opinion. I find it highly unlikely he amounts to anything considering the Thunder were going to let him walk in the summer. But it's worth a chance to try get get something out of him. I still think it's a good deal because while I think Saric is a better player he really doesn't fit at the 4 and the Suns do need another body able to get minutes there. I really don't want to see Ayton/Bismack/Landale on the floor at the same time anymore.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He should be fine for 10-15 min a game and may surprise us and earn more time.
As long as Monte doesn't have him playing Center or Point Guard.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He should be fine for 10-15 min a game and may surprise us and earn more time.
As long as Monte doesn't have him playing Center or Point Guard.
I don't think we'll have to worry about him playing point guard but center is a different matter. With his lack of offense it might be the only place we can play him for more than a few minutes at a time. A lineup of CP3, Booker, Craig, Durant and Bazley might even work.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm of the opposite opinion. I find it highly unlikely he amounts to anything considering the Thunder were going to let him walk in the summer. But it's worth a chance to try get get something out of him. I still think it's a good deal because while I think Saric is a better player he really doesn't fit at the 4 and the Suns do need another body able to get minutes there. I really don't want to see Ayton/Bismack/Landale on the floor at the same time anymore.
I would agree with you except for the fact that James Jones has a knack for picking out guys like this.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Play defense and slash to the basket that’s all we need

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Actually he may be a really good role player and OKC has those in abundance. They need stars. So a guy like this can get squeezed at an OKC but can end up playing a significant role with us because we don’t need him to do anything beyond his strengths.

And he’s a much better pairing with Ayton, landale or biz than any of them pairing together.

Is he a better player than saric? Likely no. Might he be a better fit for us? I think he might.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Actually he may be a really good role player and OKC has those in abundance. They need stars. So a guy like this can get squeezed at an OKC but can end up playing a significant role with us because we don’t need him to do anything beyond his strengths.

And he’s a much better pairing with Ayton, landale or biz than any of them pairing together.

Is he a better player than saric? Likely no. Might he be a better fit for us? I think he might.

I agree he is a better fit and that the Suns should give him a good look(he'll have plenty of time with Durant out and likely to be restricted when he gets back). I just don't think we can count on him to do much or be in the rotation down the stretch. I'll love it if he does provide quality minutes though and maybe even be a piece we keep beyond this year.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Play defense and slash to the basket that’s all we need
We need our 5th guy to hit threes and play defense if we are truly trying to unlock this unit.

We can't let the 5th player be a help defender. Otherwise the other teams star will have a holiday on defense and sag back to double whatever shooter has the ball.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was kinda looking forward to Saric being able to go back to small ball 5 with KD in some matchups with the bench unit.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was kinda looking forward to Saric being able to go back to small ball 5 with KD in some matchups with the bench unit.
Pretty sure the 20mil in savings was a pretty big factor in the trade. Jock is more than capable of filling a lot of that role and the potential fit of Bazley is certainly appealing.

I'm not going to fault the team for re-cooping some of the cost it took to get KD.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We need our 5th guy to hit threes and play defense if we are truly trying to unlock this unit.

We can't let the 5th player be a help defender. Otherwise the other teams star will have a holiday on defense and sag back to double whatever shooter has the ball.

5th man? This dude is gonna play 15 minutes a game

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Bazley at 22 could be a real steal. IMO, he has barely scratched his potential.

Hopefully the Suns have a young power forward they will develop.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Watched some highlights. Interesting he shoots left but mostly finishes with his right around the rim.

Wonder which is his dominant hand. Usually lefties rarely use their off hand when finishing.