Suns trade Cam Payne to the Spurs.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah they weren't traded for each other.

I will say this although I find it unlikely, Bol Bol could make a bigger impact than Payne just because there is more potential playing time for a forward/center than there is for Payne as a guard with our roster.
Virtually they were. Cam's trade opened the roster spot for Bol. I guarantee you JJ looks at it like a trade. The moves were made almost simultaneously.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
They were joking on PHNX Podcast about JJ's crew working overtime on the Cam trade, The swap of picks with Orlando, and the second round pick with San Antonio.

I guess we shouldn't assume the front office takes the weekends off.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They were joking on PHNX Podcast about JJ's crew working overtime on the Cam trade, The swap of picks with Orlando, and the second round pick with San Antonio.

I guess we shouldn't assume the front office takes the weekends off.

I think the Suns front office is writing a book that has never been written. They are clearly thinking outside the box.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Aside from injury issues, I thought Cam Payne played well for a backup point guard, although he could be erratic at times. His stats were fairly consistent.

I will remember Cam Payne showed up for game 6 in the playoffs against the Nuggets.
I was always wondering which version of him we would see on a the floor at any given time.

I remember being amazed at that one playoff game he had. I’m not sure I saw that again.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was always wondering which version of him we would see on a the floor at any given time.

I remember being amazed at that one playoff game he had. I’m not sure I saw that again.

Players that aren't well known for their skills have these breakout seasons, then the league gets put on notice. Then we see a drop off.

Jeremy Lin
Payne
Austin Reaves - soon to be

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
I think the Suns front office is writing a book that has never been written. They are clearly thinking outside the box.
I agree. But time will tell. Retaining some of these minimun pay players the next year will be the challenge. Some will work out hopefully and you got to like the direction and the players coming in. Meshing together is the chore now.

Ayton is on notice now. Hope he understands that. And if he comes out the gate lackadaisical he will be gone like the other moves. But this is a great opportunity for him and the entire team. Love the moves this new owner has made and soon it will be time to go to work. GO Suns!!!!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
They were talking about how there was goofy part of our squad. Ayton, Cam Payne, Bridges, Cam Johnson, and a few other guys from time to time. Ayton is the only goofy guy left. They were saying they wonder if he notices things are getting more serious around him? Guys wanting to win and prove themselves.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its clear that they plan on being over the apron, and are willing to trade pick swaps willy nilly because it wont matter anyway.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Its clear that they plan on being over the apron, and are willing to trade pick swaps willy nilly because it wont matter anyway.
Plus we have yet to see how first round swaps work when your team is supposed to be picking 30th by being over the second apron. That sounds to me like the people who swapped with you just got screwed!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Plus we have yet to see how first round swaps work when your team is supposed to be picking 30th by being over the second apron. That sounds to me like the people who swapped with you just got screwed!
Reminds me of the old joke. Two buddies are getting mugged on the street.

"Give me all your money," the mugger says.

1st friend reaches into his pocket and hands a $20 bill to the second friend.

"What's this?" the second guy says.

"It's the $20 I owe ya." Says friend one.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Reminds me of the old joke. Two buddies are getting mugged on the street.

"Give me all your money," the mugger says.

1st friend reaches into his pocket and hands a $20 bill to the second friend.

"What's this?" the second guy says.

"It's the $20 I owe ya." Says friend one.
One hundred percent, too!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My hope is the Suns are backfilling the assets they will need for the future. They will need those newly acquired second round picks.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My hope is the Suns are backfilling the assets they will need for the future. They will need those newly acquired second round picks.
I think between every other 1st round pick and getting these 2nd rounders they are definitly in better shape. As long as we are over the 2nd apron we are going to have to rely on veterans wanting to come here for the minimum and hopefully drafting some guys who can contribute.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if we have more than 1 second rounder when the season ends. We have 5 right now.
Yeah I can see that if a trade comes up we just can't pass on. If it is, those picks gone will be worth it. If we still have them, it means hopefully that everything went well in the season and we didn't need to fix anything.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
please enlighten me @Covert Rain how it an "oof" to think we'll trade those 2nd round picks this year? We're talking about 2nd round picks, after all, and if we want to use those trade exceptions then we'll need to deal some of those picks with the exception to make it happen.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
please enlighten me @Covert Rain how it an "oof" to think we'll trade those 2nd round picks this year? We're talking about 2nd round picks, after all, and if we want to use those trade exceptions then we'll need to deal some of those picks with the exception to make it happen.
The "oof" was for the fact that people were complaining the Suns had no assets to do anything with. Now the thought is we might actually use them....when we were not supposed to have any. Double "oof".

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "oof" was for the fact that people were complaining the Suns had no assets to do anything with. Now the thought is we might actually use them....when we were not supposed to have any. Double "oof".
Out of the 8 relevant drafts (counting from the KD trade forward through the 7 upcoming drafts), we have 4 first round picks and probably 5 second round picks compared to the 8 and 8 many teams have which is not as bad as it appeared even after the Beal deal. But our remaining picks have mostly been swapped or double swapped reducing their value to the absolute minimum. I don't see how that situation is anything to boast about.

Yes, we've regained a little but our pick situation is still close to worthless. Under our new ownership, we've found ways to thrive even with limited draft capital so I am far less concerned about our draft situation than I was a few months ago but our hands are still tied.

All told, we have fewer ways to improve than most of the league. How limiting that will be remains to be seen given that we have an owner apparently willing to accept risks and freely spend where most others are cutting back.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out of the 8 relevant drafts (counting from the KD trade forward through the 7 upcoming drafts), we have 4 first round picks and probably 5 second round picks compared to the 8 and 8 many teams have which is not as bad as it appeared even after the Beal deal. But our remaining picks have mostly been swapped or double swapped reducing their value to the absolute minimum. I don't see how that situation is anything to boast about.

Yes, we've regained a little but our pick situation is still close to worthless. Under our new ownership, we've found ways to thrive even with limited draft capital so I am far less concerned about our draft situation than I was a few months ago but our hands are still tied.

All told, we have fewer ways to improve than most of the league. How limiting that will be remains to be seen given that we have an owner apparently willing to accept risks and freely spend where most others are cutting back.
Don't disagree. Although, 2nd round picks turning into anything in the NBA has the odds stacked against you. 2nd round picks are generally trade fodder. Considering what the Suns gave up for Durant they have managed to get some assets back since then which gives them flexibility, they otherwise wouldn't have had with just every other 1st round pick. 2nd round picks or not? The team is going to have to rely heavily on veterans wanting to come here for minimums during this window if we are over the 2nd apron.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't disagree. Although, 2nd round picks turning into anything in the NBA has the odds stacked against you. 2nd round picks are generally trade fodder. Considering what the Suns gave up for Durant they have managed to get some assets back since then which gives them flexibility, they otherwise wouldn't have had with just every other 1st round pick. 2nd round picks or not? The team is going to have to rely heavily on veterans wanting to come here for minimums during this window if we are over the 2nd apron.
For me, the big deal is we added Beal using mostly trade fodder. That may have been just a once in a lifetime opportunity but if it plays out well, it almost offsets what we gave up for KD. Now, we have a reasonable chance of being very good through most of the draft years we sent to Brooklyn.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think the Suns are going to have to rethink the value of 2nd round picks if they haven't already. They will either have to find role players with these picks or use them in trade for such.

Can James Jones shift gears?

It's interesting to me the Suns thought they can find value at #52 in the 2023 draft and they may well have in Toumani Camara. However, a certain number of those players are there for the finding if a team works hard enough to find them.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the Suns are going to have to rethink the value of 2nd round picks if they haven't already. They will either have to find role players with these picks or use them in trade for such.

It's interesting to me the Suns thought they can find value at #52 in the 2023 draft and they may well have in Toumani Camara. However, a certain number of those players are there for the finding if a team works hard enough to find them.
Personally I think the 2nd round picks were just acquired to be used as trade chips.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me, the big deal is we added Beal using mostly trade fodder. That may have been just a once in a lifetime opportunity but if it plays out well, it almost offsets what we gave up for KD. Now, we have a reasonable chance of being very good through most of the draft years we sent to Brooklyn.
I still have a hard time processing the Beal move and that we pulled that off.

The second round is like playing the lottery and I think the Suns and most teams know that. I am not sure they need to make the second round into something it’s not. Although it does give them options should the scouting team think they found something and that player happens to fall. Flexibility is good.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally I think the 2nd round picks were just acquired to be used as trade chips.

This may well be true about some of the future 2nd rounders, but I think the Suns planned to find a contributor at #52.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The second round is like playing the lottery and I think the Suns and most teams know that. I am not sure they need to make the second round into something it’s not. Although it does give them options should the scouting team think they found something and that player happens to fall. Flexibility is good.

The odds are better at finding a player in the 1st round but I think teams can improve their odds at finding a 2nd round player or undrafted free agent with scouting and player development.

The Heat have shown that it can be done.