Suns trade Cam Payne to the Spurs.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It could have been as simple as getting a slot open for a big from a back up small. The money worked into the equation, too. We had ball handlers, but what we didn't have is an abundance of seven footers. Seems coincidental that Bol Bol's best games as a pro came against Denver.

I am thinking as a side thought, we are more wedded to DA now as a starting Center. Even as much as he may be hated, he's undoubtably our starting center from all the bigs we brought in. AS much as the Center spot has been devalued, I don't see anyone just trading those guys away either. Dallas has been having a hell of a time getting centers.

I think they're trying to add another big or wing with the trade exception as we have two now.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think they're trying to add another big or wing with the trade exception as we have two now.
I am thinking more towards midseason when they see what we need. Who knows? They have moved way quicker on everything than I expected. Kinda shocked they had such a blue print ready and aggressively went for it!

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am thinking more towards midseason when they see what we need. Who knows? They have moved way quicker on everything than I expected. Kinda shocked they had such a blue print ready and aggressively went for it!

I'm thinking soon, there's still Oubre and Woods out there. Biz could be a target. I dont like Woods, just seems teams have moved on from him for whatever reasons.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am not sure the exceptions are really part of the plan. They are hard to use and cannot be used for free agents. Anyone we sign from here will be DNPCD's.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm thinking soon, there's still Oubre and Woods out there. Biz could be a target. I dont like Woods, just seems teams have moved on from him for whatever reasons.

Comments I read from other fans on Woods is he is a me guy. Playing for his own stats and not a cancer type player but not locker room guy either. Not sure how many of these fans have locker room access and such to know. Could just be people saying stuff.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Comments I read from other fans on Woods is he is a me guy. Playing for his own stats and not a cancer type player but not locker room guy either. Not sure how many of these fans have locker room access and such to know. Could just be people saying stuff.

7 teams in 7 years... locker room's certainly don't seem to beg for his return.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Aside from the money factor, I would have preferred the Suns kept Cam Payne. His salary was already guaranteed for the season.

He served as a backup point guard and I believe his value would have increased towards the trade deadline.
Problem with that Is you have to give him minutes. I don't think he's worth 30 Seconds. If he was making minimum...sure. I'll never understand why we basically made him a lottery winner overnight

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
7 teams in 7 years... locker room's certainly don't seem to beg for his return.
Yeah, the evidence is everywhere, some people just don't want to see it I guess.

Same is true with Oubre, although maybe to a lesser extent.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the evidence is everywhere, some people just don't want to see it I guess.

Same is true with Oubre, although maybe to a lesser extent.
There is no roster spot for Oubre and he isn't a starter on a great team. Off the bench though? I would take that in a heartbeat. It's just not realistic.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The trade of Cam Payne to the Spurs is complete.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam, I will miss the energy you brought to the Suns. Speaking for myself, you will be missed.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam, I will miss the energy you brought to the Suns. Speaking for myself, you will be missed.

I will miss the short time frame he was a spark for this team but I am also glad we moved on. He just isn't consistent enough to rely on.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will miss the short time frame he was a spark for this team but I am also glad we moved on. He just isn't consistent enough to rely on.

I feel differently. As the Suns primary backup point guard, Cam Payne was reasonably paid for 3 years at $19 million.

Except for the implications of the luxury tax, Cam Payne was well worth his $6.5 million salary.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel differently. As the Suns primary backup point guard, Cam Payne was reasonably paid for 3 years at $19 million.

Except for the implications of the luxury tax, Cam Payne was well worth his $6.5 million salary.
I wasn't referring to the value of his contract. I was referring to his play. Which going into the last couple months of the season before last and into this season was widely inconsistent to mostly bad even at that value of a contract.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't referring to the value of his contract. I was referring to his play. Which going into the last couple months of the season before last and into this season was widely inconsistent to mostly bad.

Aside from injury issues, I thought Cam Payne played well for a backup point guard, although he could be erratic at times. His stats were fairly consistent.

I will remember Cam Payne showed up for game 6 in the playoffs against the Nuggets.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aside from injury issues, I thought Cam Payne played well for a backup point guard, although he could be erratic at times. His stats were fairly consistent.

I will remember Cam Payne showed up for game 6 in the playoffs against the Nuggets.
We can go over his stats again. We posted them and these long horrible horrible stretches dating back to the season before last but it's not worth it. Just glad to be moving on.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We can go over his stats again. We posted them and these long horrible horrible stretches dating back to the season before last but it's not worth it. Just glad to be moving on.

Cam Payne was the Suns backup point guard for three plus seasons. I didn't see anyone replacing him. Enough said.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam Payne was the Suns backup point guard for three plus seasons. I didn't see anyone replacing him. Enough said.
Considering we couldn't rely on him that's not much of a flex. Enough said.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You also didn’t see any way the Suns would contend next season, repeatedly bemoaning that there was no hope of ever getting better and that the Nets would probably win a title before we would.

Enough said.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for everything, Cam. Glad to see you finish out your career with the Suns in style.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Part of the mystery solved. The Suns sent the Spurs the New Orleans 2025 second-round pick.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You also didn’t see any way the Suns would contend next season, repeatedly bemoaning that there was no hope of ever getting better and that the Nets would probably win a title before we would.

Enough said.
Not to mention clamoring for an upgrade at that position earlier. Seems contradictory.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

He showed out against one of the game against the Laker also