Suns trade #6 for Saric and 11th pick

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
So we end up trading Warren for cash and this pick for an basically an expiring contract next season. There is zero doubt this was about money. Look, I am not saying that he isn't a body to fill the lane this season. That might be legit.

I seriously doubt he is here after his contract expires. Does anybody really think this trade was for Saric as a long term solution at PF?

I'd say we should wait to see what they do with the money they just freed up. They went from $9M to almost $20M to spend in free agency. It will be Warren, #6 for Saric, #11, and however the extra money is spent.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think they will seriously evaluate him--he's on the last year of his rookie contract and most likely won't be expensive to re-sign. Certainly better than bringing back Bender's corpse.

Actually entirely the same, and the results will be the same as well (as compared with Bender heading into last year). One year of ineffectiveness, followed by departure.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So we end up trading Warren for cash and this pick for an basically an expiring contract next season. There is zero doubt this was about money. Look, I am not saying that he isn't a body to fill the lane this season. That might be legit.

I seriously doubt he is here after his contract expires. Does anybody really think this trade was for Saric as a long term solution at PF?
You don't want Saric as your long term at PF. We are talking fielding a team for next season and limited resources. I think this move is part of making a pile of junk into a an average pile of stuff.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'd say we should wait to see what they do with the money they just freed up. They went from $9M to almost $20M to spend in free agency. It will be Warren, #6 for Saric, #11, and however the extra money is spent.

Well, one year of Saric is taking up about $4 million of that money, so that leaves us $16-17 million. I don't see us bring anyone to bridge that huge gap in assets for $17 million per season.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
The 4th pick, in this draft, is worlds different than the 6th. It's Atlanta being able to choose Hunter. You can't compare them like this.
You mean Hunter who was probably going to be there at #6 anyway? Not world's different. Almost the exact same. #3 and #4 are world's apart.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like this trade a lot. Outside of the top 3 I don't see much difference between the 6th and the 11th so this helps now and in the future (cap-wise) if we're still able to draft the player we want. I think Saric is the kind of player that makes teammates better although obviously, we're all hoping that he's backing up someone instead of starting.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they will seriously evaluate him--he's on the last year of his rookie contract and most likely won't be expensive to re-sign. Certainly better than bringing back Bender's corpse.

OK, but if that is the end result you have not solved your PF problem after all and it cost you the 6th pick. Not that the 6th pick would have netted you anything but you still have a gap to fix.

Man...it sucked falling that far in the draft. Even if we ended up with the 3rd or 4th that could have ended up with much more leverage.

Damn I hate this draft.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, one year of Saric is taking up about $4 million of that money, so that leaves us $16-17 million. I don't see us bring anyone to bridge that huge gap in assets for $17 million per season.

Wrong - the pay for 11 is much less than 6. Suns still have around 20 million in cap space.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
OK, but if that is the end result you have not solved your PF problem after all and it cost you the 6th pick. Not that the 6th pick would have netted you anything but you still have a gap to fix.

Man...it sucked falling that far in the draft. Even if we ended up with the 3rd or 4th that could have ended up with much more leverage.

Damn I hate this draft.

Theoretically, the PF position is better with Saric and Clarke than it was last year, even if they don't add anyone else.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Saric is at least a legitimate NBA player. That's what the Suns need.

No he isn't. He isn't any better than Bender or Anderson, and in fact he is WORSE than Bender on defense. He is as much of a sieve on defense as Anderson is.

And Gambo just reported that Saric is going to start at power forward and Tyler Johnson is going to start at point guard, with the cap space to be used on a back-up point guard.

James Jones needs to be fired immediately.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Damn I hate this draft.

I liked the players deep in the draft as much as the early picks (1-6) except the Suns passed on drafting a point guard.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No he isn't. He isn't any better than Bender or Anderson, and in fact he is WORSE than Bender on defense. He is as much of a sieve on defense as Anderson is.

Oh come on.

With you someone is either absolutely horrible or great - you have no middle ground.

He is average.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Oh come on.

With you someone is either absolutely horrible or great - you have no middle ground.

He is average.

He is average offensively (actually, below average, if you look at his PER and his shooting percentages from the field, as well as his rebounding) and about the worst in the NBA defensively.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
My question is why make the trade now? Why not hold on to the pick and wait for #6 pick to come around and see if someone desperately wants White, Garland, or Culver? I'm 99.9% sure that we still could have made this trade while we were on the clock. Plus, we could have leveraged other teams who also might have wanted the pick.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
My question is why make the trade now? Why not hold on to the pick and wait for #6 pick to come around and see if someone desperately wants White, Garland, or Culver? I'm 99.9% sure that we still could have made this trade while we were on the clock. Plus, we could have leveraged other teams who also might have wanted the pick.

Because that would have been the smart thing to do and the Suns are not that.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is average offensively (actually, below average, if you look at his PER and his shooting percentages from the field, as well as his rebounding) and about the worst in the NBA defensively.

Baloney.

1.0 OBPM, -1.4 DBPM .07 Value over replacement player 116 ORTG, 114 DRTG

AVERAGE is what the stats show.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh come on.

He is average.

He ranks #92 our 96 players at the PF position when on the floor measuring scoring per 100 possessions. How could that get worse? He is at -1.58.

Only Felicio, Green, Spellman and Bagley III have worse plus/minus per 100 posessions on the floor at that position

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
If Tyler Johnson starts this year at PG I’m boycotting. They mine as well say to the fans we are shooting for another top 5 pick. Saric is less of an impact than ariza was last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Damn I hate this draft.
If you expected the Suns to solve both PG and PF to your utter satisfaction this summer, then I have a solar powered flashlight to sell you...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He ranks #96 our 98# players at the PF position when on the floor measuring scoring per 100 possessions. How could that get worse?

Don't confuse the homers on this board with actual incontrovertible numbers...

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Technically, they've announced the trade now, but it won't be finalized for another couple weeks because of Saric's contract.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He ranks #96 our 98# players at the PF position when on the floor measuring scoring per 100 possessions. How could that get worse?

I have no idea where you are getting that from - 116 points per 100 possession cannot possibly be ranked #96

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard