Suns @ Timberwolves Saturday Playoff game thread, 4-20-24 - Game 1

wagon mound 464

Veteran
Reaction score
Looking over game stats, starting 5 total was less than 80 pts.

Frankie only basically playing 6 guys, O'Neale added 14 pts.
Rest of bench watchers, one FG.

Seven seconds or less was more fun to watch if they are only going to play 6 guys. [ Mike D'Antoni era ]

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
This team will only go as far as Booker takes them. He’s getting fouled like crazy out there with few calls. As we have seen in the past, that typically takes him right out of his game. He needs to focus on getting to his spots early and often and tone back the distributer aspect of his game unless he just can’t get it going. Plus he’s fouling way too much. He’s really built for the regular season and not the physical playoffs IMHO. Although in the past he has shined in the playoffs at times.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Go ahead smart ass name all the playoff games Book has played bad in? Only been a few elimination games and has performed great in many so not sure wtf you’re talking about?
I will agree he has generally been good in playoff games, but yesterday was just a continuation of this season as a whole.

He has been a jekyl and hyde type player all year. I don't know why that is the case but it is.

To me he is by far the most important indicator of the team's success, we simply need to him to play like a superstar to win games against good teams. I don't have confidence in him any more to reliably do so.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Many playoff games not elimination games geesh not hard to understand…
Sorry man that’s not what you wrote. Words and sentence structure matter.

Yeah he’s had a bunch of high level playoff performances. But in the games that mattered most, elimination games, he has cratered. Deify him all you want, direct your anger at a bunch of posters on a message board who have zero impact on the game instead of the star who laid a dud if it makes you feel better.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This team’s identity has become inconsistent performance. When your supposed number one player leads the way in that inconsistent play I don’t see how that ever changes.

I don’t recall ever watching a game with Kobe, LeBron etc. in their prime thinking “which guy are we going to get this game?”. Most superstars you know what you are getting night in and night out. It was always more about what you are getting from their surrounding cast. That’s not the case with Book. If he doesn’t play more consistently we are cooked.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This team’s identity has become inconsistent performance. When your supposed number one player leads the way in that inconsistent play I don’t see how that ever changes.

I don’t recall ever watching a game with Kobe, LeBron etc. in their prime thinking “which guy are we going to get this game?”. Most superstars you know what you are getting night in and night out. It was always more about what you are getting from their surrounding cast. That’s not the case with Book. If he doesn’t play more consistently we are cooked.
The problem with Book is he if he’s not on shooting, he just can’t effect the game at another elite level. Someone earlier this season said he was the modern day Gilbert Arenas in his prime and that’s looking more and more true. A Gilbert Arenas type or a rich man’s Demar Derozan level star.

Not close to an MVP Legend level star almost every title team revolves around. The exceptions to those teams are the two Pistons title teams or this Celtics squad, but both of those teams were really deep, with size and a ton of athleticism. We thought the 2022 Suns fit that model, but then Booker and the entire team cratered against a painfully mediocre Luka-led Mavs.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Im enjoyin a few bong rip suns fan free stress days man its niceee

Also be nice after vogel is history in few weeks prob :(((

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Looking over game stats, starting 5 total was less than 80 pts.

Frankie only basically playing 6 guys, O'Neale added 14 pts.
Rest of bench watchers, one FG.

Seven seconds or less was more fun to watch if they are only going to play 6 guys. [ Mike D'Antoni era ]
True, except we don't have Amar'e who made that whole thing work!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
What does Booker average in the playoffs?

Devin Booker's playoff averages are 28 points, 5.2 rebounds, and 5.2 assists per game in three playoff appearances in his career.Nov 20, 2023

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker's issue isn't he NEVER shows up. When he does he is usually spectacular. It's when he DOESN'T show up it costs the team dearly. I agree with what Cheese said. Booker is not the type of player that can take over in other facets. He is a much improved defender but not lock down by any stretch. He isn't going to get you a ton of rebounds. He isn't going to become Gary Payton stealing the basketball. If he is not scoring? He hurts the Suns big time.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This team will only go as far as Booker takes them. He’s getting fouled like crazy out there with few calls. As we have seen in the past, that typically takes him right out of his game. He needs to focus on getting to his spots early and often and tone back the distributer aspect of his game unless he just can’t get it going. Plus he’s fouling way too much. He’s really built for the regular season and not the physical playoffs IMHO. Although in the past he has shined in the playoffs at times.

We've seen history removed shooters from playoff games before. Thats the thing is booker doesn't attack at will, instead its a pull up middy. If its an attack he isn't seeking contact. He's a scorer, but a jump shooting scorer that can be neutralized too easy.

Add to that is his weak mentality, where he focuses more on barking at refs than the actual game. He just deflects his demeanor too much to the refs, not accepting that he has to play harder and with more intensity.

Dr dumas

Veteran
Reaction score
Booker didn’t even want to shoot the ball in the third and fourth quarter. If he’s not going to shoot the ball even when he’s wide open, you can’t play him. Unfortunately for this team, they are way too dependent on Book, KD and Beal to all have great games. Of just one is off, you can pretty much count a L.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Booker's issue isn't he NEVER shows up. When he does he is usually spectacular. It's when he DOESN'T show up it costs the team dearly. I agree with what Cheese said. Booker is not the type of player that can take over in other facets. He is a much improved defender but not lock down by any stretch. He isn't going to get you a ton of rebounds. He isn't going to become Gary Payton stealing the basketball. If he is not scoring? He hurts the Suns big time.
Book has to realize he’s the thermostat of the team. When he’s aggressive and attacking, we’re a different team. When he’s in his own head missing shots, arguing with the refs he can be nonexistent.

It doesn’t help that KD is a passive individual when it comes to leadership. CP3 really did wonders for the Suns it just stinks we didn’t capitalize on it in 2021.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker didn’t even want to shoot the ball in the third and fourth quarter. If he’s not going to shoot the ball even when he’s wide open, you can’t play him. Unfortunately for this team, they are way too dependent on Book, KD and Beal to all have great games. Of just one is off, you can pretty much count a L.
And it was all very predictable this would be the case when the high risk trades for Durant and Beal were made. I didn't like it, but it was done and there is very little that can be done in the next few years to properly build a team. Nothing left but to hope it somehow works out in spite of the facts we have seen.