Suns Sign Anthony Tolliver

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
3 million per, but only 400k is guaranteed in year 2.

Makes a pretty low offer even better as far as our bottom line goes.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The key to remember is that Markieff is the starter at PF this year. Hornacek said that yesterday on the Doug & Wolf Show. Toilver is not taking Frye's spot in the lineup but will be used off the bench with his 3 point shooting to "strecth the field". Additionally only one year is guaranteed.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he gets the minutes I think he'll be a pretty decent addition. He provides spacing which is needed on this team. Although this kind of squeezes TJ Warren out of the rotation unless someone is traded. (Or if Tolliver is simply a salary filler, which could be likely.) Warren is killing it in the Summer League so I'd like to see him get some time.

TJ will be battling PJ Tucker for the starting SF job. He may be too good to keep on the bench.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
TJ will be battling PJ Tucker for the starting SF job. He may be too good to keep on the bench.

I do believe this. Warren is just too good. The amazing thing is that he is absolutely consistent which is the difference between players with promise and great players. He just scores, he does it in the flow, he does not dominate the ball, he does not waste the shot clock, he just catches it and puts in in the bucket.

I can see PJ and TJ sharing starting duties this year depending on matchups. PJ's strengths are TJ's weaknesses so mentoring will be really good.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he gets the minutes I think he'll be a pretty decent addition. He provides spacing which is needed on this team. Although this kind of squeezes TJ Warren out of the rotation unless someone is traded. (Or if Tolliver is simply a salary filler, which could be likely.) Warren is killing it in the Summer League so I'd like to see him get some time.

Yeah, I highly doubt he will squeeze Warren out of anything. If Warren shows half of what he is in SL, he will be a regular part of the rotation. Tolliver will likely have many DNP's and be used in spot duty, especially should (and when) injuries occur. I have much higher hopes for Warren than I would normally have for a 14th pick, but not as a rookie.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 million per, but only 400k is guaranteed in year 2.

Makes a pretty low offer even better as far as our bottom line goes.

If this is correct, the Suns made a good signing. Also Tolliver used to be an excellent hustle player. He played hungry at GS. I think the Suns style will fit him well much like the Warriors.

Last edited:

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
With only 400k guaranteed the second year, it basically equates to a team option...

We will see how it plays out, but I am MUCH more comfortable with that, especially given we have to reach the minimum team salary which is 56 million...

Even if we signed Bledsoe to a deal starting at 12.5, we are going to be close....

3 million with a team option to just get us close is a signing I can totally live with

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This isn't a bad signing. It's just a signing to fill the roster and it so happens at a position of need.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
“It’s a great opportunity for me - I went into this free agency and it worked out perfectly when Phoenix contacted my agent. With a great nucleus of young players, and the respect I have for Ryan [McDonough], Jeff Hornacek and the entire organization, it’s a perfect situation. For me, I want to go in there and help any way I can. Phoenix is a great city, a great family city.”

This could easily pan out to be another Gerald Green / RMcD steal.

It's a real steal of $3.4 million for Tolliver, that's for sure. He is NOT worth $3 million dollars even in today's inflated NBA market IMO.

But, guess they have to spend the money somewhere?

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
It's a real steal of $3.4 million for Tolliver, that's for sure. He is NOT worth $3 million dollars even in today's inflated NBA market IMO.

But, guess they have to spend the money somewhere?

Pretty much.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I can't complain about a spot duty stretch 4 but we still have a rebounding hole at PF that needs to be filled... and this suggests that it won't be. Dammitall.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't complain about a spot duty stretch 4 but we still have a rebounding hole at PF that needs to be filled... and this suggests that it won't be. Dammitall.

I think the signing of Tucker suggests that we won't filling that rebounding hole at PF even more than this signing. I think it's pretty clear that Tolliver and the Morrises are there mostly to stretch the court.

Personally, I always liked Tolliver's game but I remembered him as a pretty solid defender and rebounder so maybe I just caught him on his good days. Still, I don't really see this signing as anything but a positive. It takes up a roster spot but I don't know who we'd be better off filling it with. Certainly not a Carlos Boozer kind of player, IMO. I'm still holding out hope we'll trade for a decent starting center but it's unlikely.

Steve

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think the signing of Tucker suggests that we won't filling that rebounding hole at PF even more than this signing. I think it's pretty clear that Tolliver and the Morrises are there mostly to stretch the court.

Personally, I always liked Tolliver's game but I remembered him as a pretty solid defender and rebounder so maybe I just caught him on his good days. Still, I don't really see this signing as anything but a positive. It takes up a roster spot but I don't know who we'd be better off filling it with. Certainly not a Carlos Boozer kind of player, IMO. I'm still holding out hope we'll trade for a decent starting center but it's unlikely.

Steve

I think Asik was our only hope now we just have to hope that Plumlee improves his stamina and can actually play a full season.

AzKarl

Veteran
Reaction score
Supposedly the second year is only guaranteed at 400k with the second year being a team option. Sounds like a great contract.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Asik was our only hope now we just have to hope that Plumlee improves his stamina and can actually play a full season.

I like Plumlee and I'm still amazed we were able to steal him from Indiana. But I'd be a lot happier if he were in a battle with someone for the starting job. If not, we're going to have to go really small at times or throw Len into the fire. I don't think Len is ready for that just yet.

Steve

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I really like this roster 1 through 3. Good depth there too.
IMO this is it for 2014(Tolliver).
Still huge holes up front, but hopefully it's addressed in the next 12 months.
There's some excellent young talent here everywhere else.
I hope the long term plan includes getting stronger up front with someone who can create a shot and/or control the glass in the paint. We'd really be on to something at that point. We would be a true contender past April.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like this roster 1 through 3. Good depth there too.
IMO this is it for 2014(Tolliver).
Still huge holes up front, but hopefully it's addressed in the next 12 months.
There's some excellent young talent here everywhere else.
I hope the long term plan includes getting stronger up front with someone who can create a shot and/or control the glass in the paint. We'd really be on to something at that point. We would be a true contender past April.

We could still do something all the way through the trade deadline. I mean there could be teams that have players that are not working out or teams that have bad chemistry that want to dump players because of cost.

I think there is still a chance we can do something before the end of the year.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We could still do something all the way through the trade deadline. I mean there could be teams that have players that are not working out or teams that have bad chemistry that want to dump players because of cost.

I think there is still a chance we can do something before the end of the year.

I hope so. I see this frontline getting manhandled at times. I don't see enough 3 pt shooting either. It sure would be nice if Len could step up and help Plumlee out. Plum is gonna take some abuse this season. I hope he's tough and continues to develop.
We shall see.

FutureSuperstar

Veteran
Reaction score
I hope so. I see this frontline getting manhandled at times. I don't see enough 3 pt shooting either. It sure would be nice if Len could step up and help Plumlee out. Plum is gonna take some abuse this season. I hope he's tough and continues to develop.
We shall see.

The Suns frontline really isn't undersized at all (which I think you hinted at by saying they would get "manhandled", I'm assuming defensively). Not many teams play 2 legit centers, as the Suns might this year (usually it's 1 legit center and the backup is a PF/C hybrid). Offensively, they won't be getting a lot of scoring there, but defensively is what matters and in terms of post-defense / shot-blocking, I would say Plumlee/Len are above-average compared to other team's starting/backup centers.

I expect Len to be a defensive force this season. He already appeared a totally different player in his 1st summer league due to his increased size + awareness defensively ... Give him another 2-3 months before training camp and I don't see how he's not ready to be a rotation guy next season. Big guys can improve a ton in just 1 year (For ex. - Steven Adams was mediocre his 1 yr. in college ... After just 1 offseason, he's a rotation guy for the Thunder).

Fans seem reluctant to put their faith in Len, and instead sign a "proven" big guy, but all these "proven" guys were once "unproven" guys too ... I think it's better to bank on Len improving rather than sign a guy w/ limited upside who's already reached his peak (of course, they should sign another big guy for the minimum ... I just don't feel the need to trade for one), who probably isn't better than an improved Len anyway.

Last edited:

Errntknght

Reaction score
Steve,
Personally, I always liked Tolliver's game but I remembered him as a pretty solid defender and rebounder so maybe I just caught him on his good days.

Looking at his defense-at-the-rim stats, his pctage FG against is 48, which is very good but he only contests 2.0 shots per 20.5 minutes, which would seem to be impossible for a PF who stays in the vicinity of his man. I suppose it could mean that he is fantastic at keeping his man pushed out away from the rim... lets hope that is the explanation.

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Just checked - Tolliver has a wing span of 7'2.5" - that's huge for a guy his height - and compares with 6'11" for Mk Morris or 7'3" for Chris Bosh who's 6'10"...we have our playoff (!) defender at the 4 spot.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We shall see.

Even when we were at our best last season this frontline was manhandled at times. We just don't have the bulk to play with Cousins or Zebo. We're going to have to double the low post and hopefully our guards can put enough pressure on the ball handlers to make the entry pass difficult. Bledsoe's defense last season frequently ran the clock down so they only had one chance per possession to take advantage of us on the blocks. We'll need that again.

I guess this is probably the team we're likely to take into November. But if I'm McDonough I'm on the phones trying to package Goodwin and a pick or two for a good center. Throw in Ennis if necessary. Both have a chance to be stars but we are too soft inside right now.

Steve

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even when we were at our best last season this frontline was manhandled at times. We just don't have the bulk to play with Cousins or Zebo. We're going to have to double the low post and hopefully our guards can put enough pressure on the ball handlers to make the entry pass difficult. Bledsoe's defense last season frequently ran the clock down so they only had one chance per possession to take advantage of us on the blocks. We'll need that again.

I guess this is probably the team we're likely to take into November. But if I'm McDonough I'm on the phones trying to package Goodwin and a pick or two for a good center. Throw in Ennis if necessary. Both have a chance to be stars but we are too soft inside right now.

Steve

I think that is why some people are wondering what the Suns are doing. I think they be doing exactly that. Putting out feelers to package guys to shore up the interior. At least I hope so.