Suns @ Pelicans Friday game thread 12-9-2022

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Looking forward to Zion ballooning to Oliver Miller size next time he stubs his toe and is out for six months

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns are not a title team. There is no doubt. This team has multiple players in the starting lineup that are just too inconsistent to make it through a series multiple times all the way through a title.

We need another scorer who can take over games. Suns need to get a trade going.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The Pelicans are a physical team. Suns will have to play much better and block out on rebounds.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Remember last year when we’re knocking teams around? Somewhere near the end of the year this team got soft. And has remained soft.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ayton had 25 points on 73% shooting! Seventy-three percent! Get the guy the ball more!
Yup. When he’s engaged and we are getting good switches on him, get him the damn ball. He could’ve score 30+ tonight or have forced them to double, thereby opening up 3s for us. It’s maddening that monty just steadfastly refuses to do this.

But truly our biggest issues are (1) lack of defense - next game where bridges leaves a defensive fingerprint all over it let me know. He’s been MIA on both ends of the court lately. (2) rebounding. Gave up too many offensive rebounds resulting in scores tonight. (3) spotty, at best, bench play. (4) Booker has forgotten how to play basketball. He looks tentative like he doesn’t even know what he wants to do. For god’s sake at one in the first half he tried to throw up a hook. He’s lost his way.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Book and bridges no shows again. Good game from Paul. Great game by Ayton - could’ve been even better if they ever made an concerted effort to get him the ball.

I can’t stand Alvarado, but I respect the hell outta him. He’s very good player.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
NBA seasons are a roller coaster... 10 days ago the mood here was "I cannot believe we're playing this well given all this adversity".

Right now it's "I wish the rest of the team would show the hustle and passion that Ayton is playing with". An unthinkable statement a 3 weeks ago.

Wild times.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
NBA seasons are a roller coaster... 10 days ago the mood here was "I cannot believe we're playing this well given all this adversity".

Right now it's "I wish the rest of the team would show the hustle and passion that Ayton is playing with". An unthinkable statement a 3 weeks ago.

Wild times.
Ultimately, it's all about peaking come playoff time. We probably still need to add more to this team before the deadline, but we know this group of guys can produce some really good basketball. Hopefully they can do it when the playoffs roll around.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
I really don’t know if “stay the course“ is a good idea. We’ve shown too many times that we can get absolutely dominated. we’re not a flip a switch team, it’s like a few people lose their confidence every few games. Seems like we’re going to be a 3-4 seed come playoff time and get worked in round one.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Remember last year when we’re knocking teams around? Somewhere near the end of the year this team got soft. And has remained soft.
The loss of Jae hurts here… without him, we have nobody willing to mix it up. Booker plays the tough guy at times, but that means nothing coming from a guard who often chooses the most inappropriate times to get dirty…

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Wild times.
True, but… We know this team. They’ve been together long enough and our sample size is way big enough. We know who they are individually and collectively. And they aren’t anywhere near championship caliber.
I seriously question Bridges as a starter, or would he be more impactful as a 6th man.
I seriously question Book’s level of greatness.
I seriously question CP3’s ability to lead a team deep into the post season, let alone a championship.
And as much as I respect Craig, he is also most definitely not a starter.
Aside from Lee, and Jock, I have zero faith in our bench… and even there, Lee and Jock are just ok bench dudes…

If the Suns leadership (who the hell knows about the ownership) truly desire a championship, I believe BIG changes need to be made. Or, they can try to add a piece in the hopes of making the post season a bit more interesting.
If it’s playing for it all, the move is KD or bust.
Anything else will leave this team in the position of being a 3 seed who makes an interesting and fun (at best) ride thru the post season.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Even if the players have played listlessly, I still don't blame the players who are playing hurt--Booker and Bridges and possibly others. They shouldn't be playing. That's more responsible for the losses than laziness, softness, inconsistency, etc. And almost every time I want to scoff at DeAndre Ayton, he goes and has a pretty acceptable stat line the next game. Am I supposed to complain about 25/14?

The only person I'm comfortable pointing a finger at is coach, mostly for letting Devin Booker play hurt.

Suns lost this game only because the Pelicans bench grossly out-produced theirs.
I must have missed the news reports about Book and Bridges being hurt? I know Bridges banged his knee a few games ago, but so what. He says he’s good. If you’re starting, it’s on you to produce. Period.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This team needs a culture change. Never gonna happen but Monty has to go. He’s the most passive head coach I’ve ever seen.

This team is butter soft. Monty would never condone retaliating against a guy like Pat Bev but it’s what’s needed.

Ayton looks like he’s taken the next step.

Payne’s best stretch in the playoffs came when Paul was out, Payne’s best stretch came when Paul was out last year, best stretch when Paul was out this year. Payne plays 100x better as a starter

Craig is a really good hustle guy but he’s not a starter

Booker looks very off. Something is clearly wrong. Maybe he should sit if he’s hurt

The stranglehold Bridges has on this fan base is amazing. I get he makes funny faces when he dunks and shakes his head when he makes 3 pointers but damn he’s taken a step back. Yet people on this board would rather have him over KD, Jimmy Butler and now Derozan. I don’t get it and never will.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Good for Zion I like that attitude

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
So what if a player says he's good? Players usually want to play. From our vantage point we have no idea if he's telling the truth. But okay, Bridges didn't look very bad.

But Booker--I understand his ankle is hurt. I doubt I'm wrong because it's the most likely explanation for his suddenly lousy performance; much more likely than theories about his breakup with his girlfriend. For him I feel more sure he shouldn't be on the court at this time, and he matters more than Bridges.
The decision to play isn’t solely made by the player… team docs evaluate and give the thumbs up or down. Docs have said Bridges is fine. Bridges has said he’s totally fine. Period.

And unless you have an “in” with the team docs, your “Booker’s ankle” guess is just that, a wild-ass guess.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The stranglehold Bridges has on this fan base is amazing. I get he makes funny faces when he dunks and shakes his head when he makes 3 pointers but damn he’s taken a step back. Yet people on this board would rather have him over KD, Jimmy Butler and now Derozan. I don’t get it and never will.
People would rather have Bridges over KD plus a few players and 4 picks and 3 pick swaps. That isn't the same thing.

And for me, it's more than that. I just don't believe a Bridges for KD swap gets us a championship unless CP3 is healthy come playoff time. And I no longer dream about that fantasy.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
People would rather have Bridges over KD plus a few players and 4 picks and 3 pick swaps. That isn't the same thing.

And for me, it's more than that. I just don't believe a Bridges for KD swap gets us a championship unless CP3 is healthy come playoff time. And I no longer dream about that fantasy.

The same 1st round picks James Jones has no use for?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The same 1st round picks James Jones has no use for?
Trade Bridges and the picks to OKC for SGA, at least then we'd have something to show for it in a year or two although it won't get us any closer to a ring. We're toast until CP3 is off the books. AFAIC JJ can make use of Bridges and those picks for our future or he can waste them for a better looking loser, I choose the future.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns have been slow to upgrade their roster this season. When James Jones gets around to it, let's hope it's not too late.

The Suns have been left in a state of disrepair, with key roster positions left vacant or with inadequate replacements.

Winning cannot be turned on and off like a light switch. Where are those young players in the pipeline? I saw them on the Pelicans roster.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of negative to talk about but I was impressed with what Paul, Ayton and Craig brought to the table last night with Landale and Lee off the bench.

Craig, Lee and Landale were not expected to be significant contributors.

That did look like Chris Paul out there.

Defense and rebounding were big problems with the Pelicans size.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose