Suns Off-season Thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't think that is the case or a deal would have likely already been done.

If James Jones wanted both Bojan and Vanderbilt for Crowder, that's a lot to ask. Maybe he is overpriced?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would Memphis trade Clarke for Jae?

Because Clarke is a luxury in Memphis that they don't really need with JJJ, Adams, and Xavier Tillman there. Crowder can come in and play the 3 or 4 while Clarke is a 4 or a 5 and they have 2 guys ahead of him on the depth chart and Tillman about equal as well. With Clarke being on the last year before he hits free agency, they don't really need him. They could use a playoff tested vet in Crowder who can bring toughness and experience. Plus they save almost $3 million, at least, in salary this year by making that move.

It's not a huge upgrade but Memphis is really young still and could benefit from a guy like Crowder.

I'm not saying it's a slam dunk but it's a fair deal that I don't think either team could say they won unless pics were involved and then the team who got those would win, basically. Memphis doesnt really need Clarke though. Jae can play SF, which Clarke can't, and they don't need Clarke at Center or PF now, really. They'll likely let him walk in free agency after this year so why not try and change things up a little and see if Crowder can improve things there now.

Also Jae helps Memphis vs Golden State more than Clarke does.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because Clarke is a luxury in Memphis that they don't really need with JJJ, Adams, and Xavier Tillman there. Crowder can come in and play the 3 or 4 while Clarke is a 4 or a 5 and they have 2 guys ahead of him on the depth chart and Tillman about equal as well. With Clarke being on the last year before he hits free agency, they don't really need him. They could use a playoff tested vet in Crowder who can bring toughness and experience. Plus they save almost $3 million, at least, in salary this year by making that move.

It's not a huge upgrade but Memphis is really young still and could benefit from a guy like Crowder.

I'm not saying it's a slam dunk but it's a fair deal that I don't think either team could say they won unless pics were involved and then the team who got those would win, basically. Memphis doesnt really need Clarke though. Jae can play SF, which Clarke can't, and they don't need Clarke at Center or PF now, really. They'll likely let him walk in free agency after this year so why not try and change things up a little and see if Crowder can improve things there now.

Also Jae helps Memphis vs Golden State more than Clarke does.
JJJ is already out the first two months of the season and is a consistent injury risk. Clarke is their insurance policy and probably gets a ton of minutes early this season because JJJ is already injured. Getting Crowder does nothing to address that open wound they have going into the season. And they all got playoff seasoning of their own last year. They don’t need an older, slower veteran who’s never actually won a title.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be absolutely thrilled if the Suns could get Brandon Clarke out of Memphis.

Also, he He attended Desert Vista High School in Phoenix.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JJJ is already out the first two months of the season and is a consistent injury risk. Clarke is their insurance policy and probably gets a ton of minutes early this season because JJJ is already injured. Getting Crowder does nothing to address that open wound they have going into the season. And they all got playoff seasoning of their own last year. They don’t need an older, slower veteran who’s never actually won a title.

We'll see what happens but I believe they'll bump Tillman ahead of Clarke in their rotation, as they did last year in the playoffs when they started Tillman.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We'll see what happens but I believe they'll bump Tillman ahead of Clarke in their rotation, as they did last year in the playoffs when they started Tillman.
And then leave no one behind Tillman? For what purpose?

Again, is there a NEED for small ball 4? The Grizzlies SIZE and athleticism is what makes them as tough as they are. You’re advocating that they would want to degrade in both areas and I’m not sure why that helps them. Especially considering injuries already on the team.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If James Jones wanted both Bojan and Vanderbilt for Crowder, that's a lot to ask. Maybe he is overpriced?
Pretty sure a first rounder was also included.

Rumor was they were shopping him for a first round pick around free agency and found no takers.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Was hoping the vibes would be fresh, but seems like today went over like a wet fart. Crowder demanding a trade, Ayton terse and lacking energy, and CP apparently learning nothing from the Mavs series.

Not loving this.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure a first rounder was also included.

Rumor was they were shopping him for a first round pick around free agency and found no takers.

A first round pick was likely not enough if Shamet was a part of the deal.

The Jazz would have probably flipped Crowder for another first round pick but they might be stuck with Shamet.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A first round pick was likely not enough if Shamet was a part of the deal.

The Jazz would have probably flipped Crowder for another first round pick but they might be stuck with Shamet.
Shamet's contract is not guarenteed beyond this year, he's not completely worthless.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So, Gambo says Suns were unable to find a trade for Crowder, and told his agent to find a deal.

That is not encouraging at all.

I have a really bad feeling he may be sitting at home till the deadline when we can find a deal.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shamet's contract is not guarenteed beyond this year, he's not completely worthless.

Let's hope Shamet has a good season for the Suns if he is not traded.

His salary ($10,250,000) is fully guaranteed for the 2023-24 season.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's hope Shamet has a good season for the Suns if he is not traded.

His salary ($10,250,000) is fully guaranteed for the 2023-24 season.
Yeah I believe we can jettison him prior to his 3rd or 4th season but his first two years are fully guaranteed (this is his first year under the new contract).

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the latest tweet from John Gambadoro on the situation with Jae Crowder. It's reported he wanted an extension.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here is the latest tweet from John Gambadoro on the situation with Jae Crowder. It's reported he wanted an extension.

The writing was pretty much on the wall, we knew he shouldnt be starting or finishing games. MAYBE start for like 5-6 minutes, but 30% shooting from 3 isn't going to cut it in today's nba. . Some just over valued his D and toughness. What matters is the ball needs to go in the hoop. I didn't expect him to be a disgruntled professional.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The writing was pretty much on the wall, we knew he shouldnt be starting or finishing games. MAYBE start for like 5-6 minutes, but 30% shooting from 3 isn't going to cut it in today's nba. . Some just over valued his D and toughness. What matters is the ball needs to go in the hoop. I didn't expect him to be a disgruntled professional.
The extension thing I get. As a player you want to know where you are going to be. The starting and Ending thing also makes sense because typically you go back to your starters at the end of games unless the game is over.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's too bad things had to work out this way. If anyone gets extended it's Cam Johnson.

I don't know what goes on behind the scene but I think Jae should have kept his trade request quiet on social media, attended Media Day and camp while James Jones and his agent worked on a trade.

As one gets older, one often realizes some of the best things are the things that never happen. This could have been the same type of situation.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I am 90% sure Ish Wainright can do almost everything Jay Crowder can do just as well if he is given the chance.
Ish looks the part maybe even moreso than Jae but I believe this is wishful thinking, he just hasn't shown that kind of game.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm fine with Ish on a two-way contract but honestly I was hoping the Suns would add another point guard or project big man in that two-way slot.

Ish is a high character person so I understand why the Suns want to keep him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Possible destinations for Jae Crowder?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member