Suns Off-season Thread

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
There’s a reason every contender Crowder plays on eventually gets rid him or doesn’t want to pay him. Thx for the memories but good riddance.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd do this trade to get Brandon Clarke. Danny Green's contract is expiring and only partially guaranteed.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2lfmt8c3

I'd do that. It saves Memphis some cash, approximately $2 million this year. Green's deal becomes fully guaranteed in January 2023. Found this in Spotrac...
  • 2022-23: non-guaranteed, fully guaranteed on 7/1/22 1/10/23 ($6,964,781 was guaranteed on 6/24/22 as part of PHI-MEM trade)

The Suns would probably have to sweeten the pot with a second rounder or two. Memphis doesn't have money to pay everyone they have coming off of rookie deals and Clarke is a bench piece for them. Crowder can provide depth behind Brooks and Jackson Jr in case of injury or just play solid minutes backing them up, as well as Adams when they slide JJJ over to Center.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I am really confused by Crowder's behavior. Is this about him being in trade rumors? Is he mad about Cam potentially being promoted to a full-time starter? Did something happen that I missed?

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
I fear since Suns have been dragging this on so long and now everyone and their mother knows Crowder won't be in trading camp, that his trade value has dropped.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am really confused by Crowder's behavior. Is this about him being in trade rumors? Is he mad about Cam potentially being promoted to a full-time starter? Did something happen that I missed?
At the end of the day, It IS Jae Crowder. There's a reason people yell F Jae Crowder during games and why he gets death threats often.
He didn't all the sudden turn into Mr. Rogers by coming to Phoenix. He's a grade A ass, has always been, will always be.
It was impossible for him to go out like a man, it would have been against his modus operandi.
Its who he is.
Buh Bye

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd take back Oubre, least he provides just as much as Crowder and would probably accept a bench role. Crowder was so not the professional i thought he was, he's making himself look worse than Bledsoe or getting closer to that.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I fear since Suns have been dragging this on so long and now everyone and their mother knows Crowder won't be in trading camp, that his trade value has dropped.
If I were calling the shots I'd let him sit on the bench till January, just as a F U for not being able to keep his mouth shut online.
Sit on that bench during a contract year OUCH!
The market will be much better in January anyway.

Suns get 3 months to torture him and watch him cry online and better trade options.
Jae gets owned and treated like the giant crybaby he is.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The truth is, we really don't know what is going on with Jae Crowder. Nor do we know what the organization has been doing to resolve the issue or trade the player. We've heard rumors and speculation but that's it.

Maybe he wants out because he and CP3 clashed repeatedly, maybe he felt blamed for the postseason collapse (and failure on the boards), maybe he wanted a PJ Tucker salary promise from the FO, maybe he got pissed about having his name in the Durant rumors, maybe he's angry because he's being pushed into a reserve role in a contract year or maybe it's just Jae being Jae?

Or maybe it's some other wild rumor that will turn out to be true. Whatever. We need Jae but we don't need this nonsense from him. Patch it up or ship him out. Obviously we appear to be on the 'ship him out' path but its takes more than one to tango. I'd rather leave him parked than give him away.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have a feeling it's something we've all missed, or at least most of us. Steve has alluded to a potential clash with CP3 and I think there could be something there. He's been dealt many times before and he's no stranger to being mentioned in trade rumors so I can't see him being this upset because he's been in trade rumors this off-season.

I think he wants to get paid and that's fair but he can do that in a bench role also. I don't believe his stock will take a big hit if Cam J starts because everyone knows what Jae brings to the table. He's similar to PJ Tucker in that he's a known commodity around the league, when he's a free agent he'll get paid for who he is. However this outburst could hurt him some though because he was always known as a professional before and this is uncharacteristic of him to pout publicly like he has.

Im thinking there is something behind the scenes happened we're not privy to. Whether that is CP3, Monty, James Jones, Ayton, Book, Sarver, Cam J, who knows. The only person I don't see being involved in any way is Mikal.

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
If I were calling the shots I'd let him sit on the bench till January, just as a F U for not being able to keep his mouth shut online.
Sit on that bench during a contract year OUCH!
The market will be much better in January anyway.

Suns get 3 months to torture him and watch him cry online and better trade options.
Jae gets owned and treated like the giant crybaby he is.
agreed. And the longer Suns wait, the more value his expiring contract will have. There would still be time to possibly get a good power forward prior to playoffs.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know why Memphis does this.

It may be a stretch but Clarke is a RFA next season and they may not have the money pay him.

Also, following Ja Morant's tweets, there seems to be some interest.

It might take a first round pick to get the job done.

Crowder and Craig gives the Grizzlies two experienced playoff caliber players.

Clarke is a young player that gives the Suns versatility, rebounding and defense off the bench.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hopefully there are multiple teams interested in Crowder.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I were going to guess, Crowder views his future in the mode of PJ Tucker.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may be a stretch but Clarke is a RFA next season and they may not have the money pay him.

Also, following Ja Morant's tweets, there seems to be some interest.

It might take a first round pick to get the job done.

Crowder and Craig gives the Grizzlies two experienced playoff caliber players.

Clarke is a young player that gives the Suns versatility, rebounding and defense off the bench.

Including a 1st in that deal is too much. Clarke isn't a starter for Memphis so that's an overpay. I know the Suns don't use their picks wisely but tossing one into a deal with Jae for a player like Clarke is a bad move, IMO. I'd be ok with a potential pick swap with Memphis but not an outright trade.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless the Suns still have dreams of trading for Durant, I'd consider giving up a first round pick in a trade for Clarke.

Certainly I wouldn't want too but I view him much in the same light as Vanderbilt. He would really help the Suns play with smaller and quicker teams at the forward position.

The 2019 draft would look even better with Cam Johnson and Brandon Clarke.

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
Do we even know what exactly the Suns did to upset or annoy Jae Crowder? Why does he "feel disrespected"?

If it's just that he knows he's less popular than the other guys, too bad--what's the team supposed to do about it? It would be a variation on the sad end of Shawn Marion's Suns career, where Marion started sulking because the media gave more attention to Amare Stoudemire.

I don't particularly want to trade a player like Crowder, the closest thing the Suns have to an enforcer. But am I going to trade Booker, Paul, Ayton or Bridges? Um, no. Or Cameron Johnson? I'm not sure.

Oh, yeah...just the trade rumors? Well, excuse your FO for doing its job, Jae Crowder.
>>I don't particularly want to trade a player like Crowder, the closest thing the Suns have to an enforcer.I don't particularly want to trade a player like Crowder, the closest thing the Suns have to an enforcer.

very true. In fact the Suns need a bulldog at this position and PG

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Prob both.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Including a 1st in that deal is too much. Clarke isn't a starter for Memphis so that's an overpay. I know the Suns don't use their picks wisely but tossing one into a deal with Jae for a player like Clarke is a bad move, IMO. I'd be ok with a potential pick swap with Memphis but not an outright trade.
Why would Memphis trade Clarke for Jae?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Based on these media day interviews I really think it is just about him getting a new contract, which I don't think the Suns are interested in giving him, and as a backup he would have a hard time auditioning for another team.

Well actually Monte did hint there was something else also.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose