Suns Off-season Thread

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, but you can’t deny the Nets will only trade KD if Book is included.
You think the only way the Nets trade KD is if Book is included in the deal? I’m dubious there.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You think the only way the Nets trade KD is if Book is included in the deal? I’m dubious there.
Lol sorry. I was referring to the post above that said everyone keeps repeating the same things over and over. This was a big one that keeps getting repeated even though it’s pretty much impossible.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol sorry. I was referring to the post above that said everyone keeps repeating the same things over and over. This was a big one that keeps getting repeated even though it’s pretty much impossible.
Gotcha.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hard to top the 2016 off-season where we drafted Chriss, Bender, and Ulis. Our big free agent signing was Jared Dudley. We also signed Barbosa, Shaq Harrison, and Derrick Jones Jr.

At the time I have to admit I was happy we got both Bender and Chriss. It felt like a win at the time.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the time I have to admit I was happy we got both Bender and Chriss. It felt like a win at the time.
I knew nothing about Bender but had high hopes for him after all the Porzingis talk. I knew too much about Chriss to have much hope for him, incredible athlete but that's about it.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I knew nothing about Bender but had high hopes for him after all the Porzingis talk. I knew too much about Chriss to have much hope for him, incredible athlete but that's about it.

I was the opposite I thought Chriss could be good but I was beyond pissed when they called Benders name

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It always seemed to me that we would get the#4 draft pick in an obvious three pick draft. Like when we drafted Marshall out of North Carolina I absolutely hated the pick, but I can't remember who that came out after I actually wanted. There were several drafts like that where anybody I wanted was off the board a pic or two before us.

I got convinced by the media that Josh Jackson was a good pic, but the guy I wanted was the Finnish Center from Arizona who's name is escaping me right now.

Did anybody turn out good in that Bender draft?

Joe

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
It always seemed to me that we would get the#4 draft pick in an obvious three pick draft. Like when we drafted Marshall out of North Carolina I absolutely hated the pick, but I can't remember who that came out after I actually wanted. There were several drafts like that where anybody I wanted was off the board a pic or two before us.

I got convinced by the media that Josh Jackson was a good pic, but the guy I wanted was the Finnish Center from Arizona who's name is escaping me right now.

Joe

The two Murrays, Sabonis, Siakam were all taken after Bender(Jamal Murray went just before Criss.)

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hard to top the 2016 off-season where we drafted Chriss, Bender, and Ulis. Our big free agent signing was Jared Dudley. We also signed Barbosa, Shaq Harrison, and Derrick Jones Jr.

That one was pretty dang bad.

I'd like to nominate the 2010 off-season, AKA the year Sarver decided to be the GM.

Amare left as a free agent, trade Barbosa for Turkoglu, picked up Josh Childress and Hakim Warrick. Gave a couple of those guys extensions, extended Channing Frye.

Also, later that year we traded Dragic AND a first round pick for 25 games of Aaron Brooks.

The Nash era limped on another 2 years but that we the real death toll for Suns basketball for the better part of a decade.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Joe
Yeah I was against Josh Jackson and very much in favor of Lauri Markkanen until about a month before the draft when I finally jumped on the Tatum bandwagon. But Jackson did start to grow on me with his summer league and preseason performances so by the time he failed I was both surprised and disappointed.

And as I recall, the only basketball fan I can think of that liked Marshall was slin. But slow is slow and if you're already too slow for the college game, you know you've got a problem.

We had very poor luck when it came to the lottery but our drafting skills were even worse than our lotto luck. That's why our turnaround is such a shocker. Some fans here seem to take it for granted but we did it even after pissing away most of a decade's worth of draft picks. That's tough to overcome, on par with what Brooklyn had to do to overcome their Boston trade.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah I was against Josh Jackson and very much in favor of Lauri Markkanen until about a month before the draft when I finally jumped on the Tatum bandwagon. But Jackson did start to grow on me with his summer league and preseason performances so by the time he failed I was both surprised and disappointed.

And as I recall, the only basketball fan I can think of that liked Marshall was slin. But slow is slow and if you're already too slow for the college game, you know you've got a problem.

We had very poor luck when it came to the lottery but our drafting skills were even worse than our lotto luck. That's why our turnaround is such a shocker. Some fans here seem to take it for granted but we did it even after pissing away most of a decade's worth of draft picks. That's tough to overcome, on par with what Brooklyn had to do to overcome their Boston trade.

I was all about Josh Jackson, when we got him to give the Celtics the cold shoulder, forcing them to draft Tatum, I thought McD was brilliant.

Whoops.

The Josh Jackson experience was a real awakening for me. It's why I don't mind James Jones draft philosophy. One year college guys who didn't live up to their recruiting ranking and have character red flags... I don't think I will ever pull for drafting one again, at virtually any draft slot.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I thought so too. My thinking was they were two pretty different players vying for the same spot and surely one would emerge. Surely I was wrong. Now I’ll stop calling myself Shirley.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Joe
You were definitely a big markennan fan. I liked him too, but I LOVED josh Jackson. I really thought he was going to be pippen part deux. Yeesh.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That one was pretty dang bad.

I'd like to nominate the 2010 off-season, AKA the year Sarver decided to be the GM.

Amare left as a free agent, trade Barbosa for Turkoglu, picked up Josh Childress and Hakim Warrick. Gave a couple of those guys extensions, extended Channing Frye.

Also, later that year we traded Dragic AND a first round pick for 25 games of Aaron Brooks.

The Nash era limped on another 2 years but that we the real death toll for Suns basketball for the better part of a decade.
Yeah that was a tragic end to the run, even if the docs hadn’t called it quite yet.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was all about Josh Jackson, when we got him to give the Celtics the cold shoulder, forcing them to draft Tatum, I thought McD was brilliant.

Whoops.

The Josh Jackson experience was a real awakening for me. It's why I don't mind James Jones draft philosophy. One year college guys who didn't live up to their recruiting ranking and have character red flags... I don't think I will ever pull for drafting one again, at virtually any draft slot.

I was all about drafting De'Aaron Fox until it became obvious the Suns planned to draft Josh Jackson.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Suns lose Ayton for nothing and Durant does not become a Sun, are you guys still happy with James Jones?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns lose Ayton for nothing and Durant does not become a Sun, are you guys still happy with James Jones?
Yep. Not that I believe we'll lose Ayton for nothing. But yeah, not making a Herschel Walker type deal for 34 year old Durant is a plus not a minus in my book. So I'm only disappointed with the Ayton outcome from your scenario. And while it would be a disappointment, I'm not sure that moving on from DA is the worst outcome.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I thought so too. My thinking was they were two pretty different players vying for the same spot and surely one would emerge. Surely I was wrong. Now I’ll stop calling myself Shirley.

Exactly.. I know it was a toss up between the two.. I was more leaning towards Chriss.. they took Bender and I was like I hope we made the right choice. Then we traded for Chriss and I was like great we are bound to hit on either one now.. yea.. both turned out to be trashed lol.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly.. I know it was a toss up between the two.. I was more leaning towards Chriss.. they took Bender and I was like I hope we made the right choice. Then we traded for Chriss and I was like great we are bound to hit on either one now.. yea.. both turned out to be trashed lol.
For them to both be spectacular failures was an impressive drafting feat.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL! What?
It's actually a legit question and scenario. If Ayton signs an offer sheet the Suns could let him walk. Durant deal might not happen. It's the worst-case scenario but possible. If Ayton signs the offer sheet we can't use him in a trade which might kill the KD deal. If a team offers him Max? The Suns don't seem to think he is a max player so they may not match.

It would be a huge ding on JJ's tenure if this were to happen.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose