Suns Off-season Thread

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Can we receive mult players in return in a sign and trade scenario?

Yes. but there are weird rules around how much salary they can take back. If they sign Ayton to $30M per, they can only receive around 17M or 19M, I can't remember which one- it's 50% + some modifier that I can't remember right now. As long as the incoming players make less than that, it should be OK. They just can't send anyone out with Ayton.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. but there are weird rules around how much salary they can take back. If they sign Ayton to $30M per, they can only receive around 17M or 19M, I can't remember which one- it's 50% + some modifier that I can't remember right now. As long as the incoming players make less than that, it should be OK. They just can't send anyone out with Ayton.
Yeah the rules are such that there is very little reason for us to do a sign and trade, matching an offer makes far more sense if we're not going to just give him a max deal outright. If we match and it doesn't work out at least we can re-visit trade scenarios after a year.

The stories that came out about Ayton's relationship with the coach (and perhapswith some players) had me doubting we'd keep DA but looking at the limitations and what we'd likely recieve it just makes no sense to do anything but pay the guy.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dennis Schroder could be an affordable option at combo guard to take some of the ball-handling and playmaking pressure off of CP3 and Booker. He can play on and off the ball.

No team can tolerate Schroder for more than a year, less so for Boston. The instant the Celtics turned their season around was the instant they got Dennis Schroder out of their locker room.

I wouldn't take him for free... hell, I wouldn't take him if he somehow caused a cap vacuum that opened up another 10 million.

He is a toxic ball hog who slogs down the offense and doesn't pretend to play defense.

Hell to the no.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Right now, I think we're best off offering Ayton the 4 year max and telling him that if he refuses we will match it when someone else offers.

The guy seems like too much of a softy to go full nuclear and say he would sit out the year. Even if it means a bumpy ride next year, we can almost certainly get better trade value next summer than we would now with a sign and trade where the league has the impression that we are ready to move on.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Ayton signed an offer sheet with another team on July 1st, the Suns have until July 8th to match. That's a long time for a team to tie up money with other free agents going elsewhere.

This is one of the reasons sign and trades are more attractive than signing a RFA to an offer sheet.

Last edited:

Folster

ASFN Icon
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Right now, I think we're best off offering Ayton the 4 year max and telling him that if he refuses we will match it when someone else offers.

The guy seems like too much of a softy to go full nuclear and say he would sit out the year. Even if it means a bumpy ride next year, we can almost certainly get better trade value next summer than we would now with a sign and trade where the league has the impression that we are ready to move on.

I agree. I'd offer the 4 year max with 8% annual increases. We keep the 5th year off the table. The most another team can offer would be a 4 year max with 5% annual increase. If he signs another team's offer sheet it will have multiple player options, accelerators, and restrict our ability to trade him without his consent for a year. Giving the 8% raises would be worth it to avoid the nonsense.

If he does not sign with us in that scenario it tells us what we need to know and his days will be numbered.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Booker is eligible for a 4 year $211 million super max extension this off season.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Booker is eligible for a 4 year $211 million super max extension this off season.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

He's definitely worth a max extension but a super max extension is questionable. I'd hope he'll settle for the regular extension but odds of that are slim. I'd imagine that JJ would at least approach him about taking less to get more help around him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's definitely worth a max extension but a super max extension is questionable. I'd hope he'll settle for the regular extension but odds of that are slim. I'd imagine that JJ would at least approach him about taking less to get more help around him.
It's not questionable to me. The rules say he qualifies and the currrent thinking is that if you qualify, you get it. So he'll get it. And we'll be screwed. I love Devin but building a championship team around a player at Booker's level, drawing the super max, will now be far more difficult - almost impossible.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not questionable to me. The rules say he qualifies and the currrent thinking is that if you qualify, you get it. So he'll get it. And we'll be screwed. I love Devin but building a championship team around a player at Booker's level, drawing the super max, will now be far more difficult - almost impossible.
Yeah… only way that happens is if we strike Kawai-like paydirt with a mid first rounder at some point.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The NBA salary cap could jump to $170+ million in 2025 with the new television contract.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah he’s not a unicorn. Really good but he’s not special and special is what wins championships

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The NBA salary cap could jump to $170+ million in 2025 with the new television contract.

That’s what I keep saying about Ayton. The cap is going to jump like crazy with streaming and gambling being factored in

These max contracts today are going to seem like bargains

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah he’s not a unicorn. Really good but he’s not special and special is what wins championships
You don’t think Booker is special? But yet you think Ayton is hmm ok weird take! Booker is a top player in this league it ended badly this year but let’s not get crazy.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You don’t think Booker is special? But yet you think Ayton is hmm ok weird take! Booker is a top player in this league it ended badly this year but let’s not get crazy.

Never once said Ayton was special never once.

No he’s not “special” Lebron is special, Giannis is special, Steph is special, KD is special

Booker isn’t in that class

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never once said Ayton was special never once.

No he’s not “special” Lebron is special, Giannis is special, Steph is special, KD is special

Booker isn’t in that class

Ayton should take less so we can pay Booker. :)

Keep Ayton. Chris Paul will be gone soon enough.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This off-season is gonna blow so hard.

The results of the NBA investigation may be the first indicator of which way the wind blows.

Change may not always be a good thing. I wouldn't have believed that three years ago.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting for the headline that Sarver has sold to a Seattle ownership group who pinky promised to keep the team in Phoenix.
I have a lot of concerns about this franchise, this team and this upcoming season. This isn't one of them. Although there's probably more than a few Suns fans that would consider a relocation to Seattle to be worth it if it rid us of Robert Sarver.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Golfermcr