Suns Off-season Thread

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then do you believe both sides are lying when they claim essentially that they don't want each other? Because the Suns claim Ayton isn't worth a max, while Ayton claims to want to leave. Just posturing for the negotiations? I suppose that's entirely possible. ...I hope so, because the Suns have dim prospects without Ayton.
You're confusing the Suns with rumors about the Suns and you're confusing Ayton with rumors about Ayton. I think there's some truth to some of the rumors but I doubt they tell the real story. Chances are, we considered our options including trade possibiliites and chances are, Ayton is a bit peeved and has considered moving elsewhere if he doesn't get what he wants. Beyond that, we don't really know.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just my opinion. I think pursuing Durant is a mistake. We would have to give up too much. He is aging.

Of course, I said the same thing about CP3, so there is that.

The Suns have all their draft picks and a number of expiring contracts to go after other targets as well such as John Collins.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Spurs trade Murray are they in a race to the bottom?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Reaction score
If forced to trade Ayton, I am still interested in the Pacers. They have both of the two things the Suns need most: a center to take back (Myles Turner), and a point guard to back up Chris Paul. I asked about Malcolm Brogdon, and someone explained that Brogdon is unreliable due to constant injuries. That's okay--it's not Brogdon I would want, it's Ricky Rubio. I would be happy to take back the player who I keep hearing led the Suns to the beginnings of success. I'd much rather back up Paul with Rubio than with Cameron Payne.

I also wouldn't mind taking back Jalen Smith. It was a short-sighted mistake to dump him in the first place. He should have been re-signed as an insurance policy just in case negotiations with Ayton fail. If not needed, he's a trade asset.

Finally, this trade would avoid giving Ayton to a conference rival or another contender.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If forced to trade Ayton, I am still interested in the Pacers. They have both of the two things the Suns need most: a center to take back (Myles Turner), and a point guard to back up Chris Paul. I asked about Malcolm Brogdon, and someone explained that Brogdon is unreliable due to constant injuries. That's okay--it's not Brogdon I would want, it's Ricky Rubio. I would be happy to take back the player who I keep hearing led the Suns to the beginnings of success. I'd much rather back up Paul with Rubio than with Cameron Payne.

I also wouldn't mind taking back Jalen Smith. It was a short-sighted mistake to dump him in the first place. He should have been re-signed as an insurance policy just in case negotiations with Ayton fail. If not needed, he's a trade asset.

Finally, this trade would avoid giving Ayton to a conference rival or another contender.
Ricky Rubio will be 32 before the season starts and he will be coming off of ACL surgery. No thanks. If they release him I'd probably have interest in him as a minimum salary deep bench veteran but he'd have no value in a trade so it would basically be Turner for Ayton which would be a poor return for DA.

Maybe it's just your wording but keep in mind, we had no choice but to "dump him". The problem goes back to a year ago when we chose to not pick up his option. Once that happened, we were never going to be able to keep him. And at that time, he'd shown no value whatsoever. Part of that was our fault, part of that was his fault but much of it was circumstances beyond our control (Covid kept us from having summer league and then he was out for Covid and out for injury).

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You're confusing the Suns with rumors about the Suns and you're confusing Ayton with rumors about Ayton. I think there's some truth to some of the rumors but I doubt they tell the real story. Chances are, we considered our options including trade possibiliites and chances are, Ayton is a bit peeved and has considered moving elsewhere if he doesn't get what he wants. Beyond that, we don't really know.
Plenty of players have feigned being miffed going into free agency. It gives other teams some hope and might encourage bidding. I take all of that as just free agency gamesmanship.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Tyus Jones is interesting, as is DMurray. I would not be in a panic at all about Ayton. I am just fine keeping him. If we find a deal that really makes a difference on our team, I am ok with that too. No fire sales.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We need to work our way into that to get Murray here. If it costs Ayton, so be it.

Find a taker for CP3 also, maybe in a 3 way trade that moves Kyrie out of Brooklyn and Paul to replace him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And there is this like from Trae Young.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We need to work our way into that to get Murray here. If it costs Ayton, so be it.

Find a taker for CP3 also, maybe in a 3 way trade that moves Kyrie out of Brooklyn and Paul to replace him.

They can have anyone not named Booker in my opinion

You want Bridges, 2 1st and 2 pick swaps do it

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They can have anyone not named Booker in my opinion

You want Bridges, 2 1st and 2 pick swaps do it

I'm concerned why SA would be so willing to give him up. He already missed a season due to an ACL and only played 37 games during his rookie year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm concerned why SA would be so willing to give him up. He already missed a season due to an ACL and only played 37 games during his rookie year.

I'm curious as well. The Spurs are reportedly receiving John Collins and three first round picks in exchange for Murray. That's a lot of assets.

Would the Spurs then turn around and do a trade for Ayton perhaps including Collins?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It doesn’t matter. If your his agent all you have to do it point to all the guys that have gotten that max.

Like it said that rookie max is every bit about projection as it is production.

It’s the cost of doing business right or wrong.
A good gm figures out if it’s the cost of doing good business (aka building a winner) or becoming mediocre and stuck in a bad spot. If you wouldn’t be happy with the contract for the player you trade him. Only a really bad gm would give a player he doesn’t think deserves a max, or close thereto, that contract and thinks “welp I don’t have a choice.”

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A good gm figures out if it’s the cost of doing good business (aka building a winner) or becoming mediocre and stuck in a bad spot. If you wouldn’t be happy with the contract for the player you trade him. Only a really bad gm would give a player he doesn’t think deserves a max, or close thereto, that contract and thinks “welp I don’t have a choice.”

Like I said the rookie max is also based on projection. No one can tell the future. It’s got to be combination of things. Is this player worth this money/ can this be a moveable asset all that stuff. Like it’s been pointed out the new deal is up next year this max is going to look like a bargain. That also has to be considered.

Also I don’t think JJ is a good GM. If he was he would of just signed Ayton to the max last year. The money wouldn’t of kicked in until after this year anyway so you wouldn’t of had to pay anymore than you already have

Doing that would of gave you full control of this situation and 10x more options instead of dealing with all the S&T BS rules(can’t combine him, only able to take back 19 million)

He should of just traded him for Sabonis at the deadline. You don’t put your players in trade talks especially when you have a situation like this. If your gonna do it you do it

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm curious as well. The Spurs are reportedly receiving John Collins and three first round picks in exchange for Murray. That's a lot of assets.

Would the Spurs then turn around and do a trade for Ayton perhaps including Collins?
Wait… has this deal already gone down?!

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Flex said he raises the chances of KD to Phoenix from 60% on Friday to 70-75% today. Don’t shoot the msgr.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
70-75% is pretty high. I can’t believe he’s got any actual sources on this one.

I heard a rumor that Flex’s source is Booker’s brother (half) Davon Wade. Apparently they are friends. Since the Suns see him as a good ambassador for them they also kick him down some crumbs here and there. I doubt the Suns give him anything substantial. Wade can give him some interesting stuff, but info from the brother of the teams star most certainly has its limitations.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see it the other way. It's less nebulous than usual so I suspect he feels fairly good about it. Regardless, I don't feel good about it. I know Durant's great but he's getting old and he misses so many games plus it will likely cost us Bridges who is just about to enter his prime and never misses a game.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flex said he raises the chances of KD to Phoenix from 60% on Friday to 70-75% today. Don’t shoot the msgr.
I'm not going to shoot the messenger but didn't someone just post a Flex comment a couple days ago saying that Lebron was a better bet in Phoenix than KD?

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah. The standard cop out percentage given by talking heads is 40%. You hear it from market prognosticators all the time. 75% is really high, but it was likely pulled out of his butt so...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson