Suns Off-season Thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even a good coach isn't beyond reproach. It's not the same thing as saying "Monty sucks". Sometimes people act like a good coach or good player are immune to criticism (not saying you).

I agree everyone has weaknesses.

Although it's probably not like Monty to make changes, he should look at his assistant coaches in the off season including a new big man coach for Deandre Ayton.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
Willie Green as the Head Coach of NO said the Suns pick Stix at 10 for a reason and NO had to pay attention to him. Right then I knew Willie was speaking about more than the game to be played.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Willie Green as the Head Coach of NO said the Suns pick Stix at 10 for a reason and NO had to pay attention to him. Right then I knew Willie was speaking about more than the game to be played.

Did this happen during the season? I don't remember the comments.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
JJ needs to do his job pull everyone into his office and start spanking *******.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yes, it was a regular season game played on January 4th. Jalen Smith had 12 points and 5 rebounds.

Too bad the Suns didn't pick up his option.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The league should have pushed the option dates some to make up for the fact there was no summer league during Covid and barely a preseason as well. Say the pushed it back to January 1st or even the trade deadline and then I think Jalen's option is picked up.

The sample of what could be evaluated was too small, through no fault of his own. Add in his own battle with Covid and injuries and he was doomed.

It was dumb to decline that option on a lottery pick though. That's on JJ. Unless a player is a complete bust or head case with off court issues then picking up his 3rd year option should be a no brainer.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The league should have pushed the option dates some to make up for the fact there was no summer league during Covid and barely a preseason as well. Say the pushed it back to January 1st or even the trade deadline and then I think Jalen's option is picked up.

The sample of what could be evaluated was too small, through no fault of his own. Add in his own battle with Covid and injuries and he was doomed.

It was dumb to decline that option on a lottery pick though. That's on JJ. Unless a player is a complete bust or head case with off court issues then picking up his 3rd year option should be a no brainer.

Jalen even missed one summer league appearance in 2020 because it was canceled.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
Yes, it was a regular season game played on January 4th. Jalen Smith had 12 points and 5 rebounds.

Too bad the Suns didn't pick up his option.

If you followed the pre-draft, Stix was mocked to and did pre-draft workouts for the13th pick New Orleans.

Quite sure one of the things NO front office did was question him about if they were wrong about Stix too. Green didn't vouch for Stix (Green saw him at practice too) for nothing.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score

I think Jones was trying to hold on but the owners were like but y'all not playing him and y'all want us to pay him to sit.

So I think behind the scenes the assistant coaches and Jones probably voiced to Monty their disagreement with not playing Stix and Monty was like do yall want to win or not. I am your captain.

But really once DA was declined, Stix was going to be declined as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Jones was trying to hold on but the owners were like but y'all not playing him and y'all want us to pay him to sit.

So I think behind the scenes the assistant coaches and Jones probably voiced to Monty their disagreement with not playing Stix and Monty was like do yall want to win or not. I am your captain.

There is a big difference picking up the option on Stix and extending Ayton. His option was about what the Suns will pay Craig next season.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

When a player is drafted the GM should pencil in his entire rookie salary for 4 years. There are options that can get a team out after 2 and 3 and years but unless they're deemed a lost cause then they shouldn't be using those, especially after just 1 season.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It was a good point by ESPN today, that when you pick a player like Ayton at #1 overall, unless he is a total bust, when the commissioner is calling their name, you know you will be maxing their salary 4-5 years down the road.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was a good point by ESPN today, that when you pick a player like Ayton at #1 overall, unless he is a total bust, when the commissioner is calling their name, you know you will be maxing their salary 4-5 years down the road.

That's true but we're talking about James Jones. A guy who decides to cut a lottery pick after a disappointing rookie season.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is a big difference picking up the option on Stix and extending Ayton. His option was about what the Suns will pay Craig next season.

Yeah, It was an unforced error. He should have been given 3 years and the non-existent rookie off-season should also have been taken into account.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's true but we're talking about James Jones. A guy who decides to cut a lottery pick after a disappointing rookie season.
That really was a terrible decision. Especially when you don’t have total confidence in your other big man who wants big money.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, It was an unforced error. He should have been given 3 years and the non-existent rookie off-season should also have been taken into account.

It's perplexing and the Suns passed on an even a better player in the draft.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
My really sad take on Ayton and Stix, is after many years we did not develop them that well. I feel like we don't have a great record on developing guys. The guys that end up well for us are super motivated guys like Book, Bridges, etc, that work super hard when they are even away from the Suns. If we have to draw out talent form raw guys, we don't do so well.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watching this Celtics team and hoping JJ is also. Giving up on the Ayton/Booker core this early is flat out idiotic. Is Jaylen Brown a MAX player? No. But it’s the price you pay for high level talent with even higher ceilings.

As much as Ayton pisses me off, We’re not going to get a shot at that level talent for lord only knows how long.

Sometimes patience and tweaking are what’s needed.

Especially in the coach’s box, evidence against by what’s happened in Boston.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I keep thinking, Ayton is a top 40-50 player. You can't win with one of the better players in the league? So how is getting a lesser player in return, or even a couple lesser players going to help us get back to the finals? I kind of feel, until we can ditch that CP3 salary, we can't rebuild this team.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Watching this Celtics team and hoping JJ is also. Giving up on the Ayton/Booker core this early is flat out idiotic. Is Jaylen Brown a MAX player? No. But it’s the price you pay for high level talent with even higher ceilings.

As much as Ayton pisses me off, We’re not going to get a shot at that level talent for lord only knows how long.

Sometimes patience and tweaking are what’s needed.

Especially in the coach’s box, evidence against by what’s happened in Boston.

If Ayton would’ve taken Jaylen Brown’s deal he’d be locked up. He re-signed for $107m. DA wanted $175.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Ayton would’ve taken Jaylen Brown’s deal he’d be locked up. He re-signed for $107m. DA wanted $175.
Oh… I thought Jaylen was a bigger contract. My bad.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson