Suns: NBA Summer League 2019

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
We just really need a rim protecting big. A player in an Ibaka mold would be perfect.
That won't be Ray Spalding. Maybe a Euro, or Summer league guy we can develop that fits the timeline. Really, Ayton is SUPPOSED to be that guy!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We just really need a rim protecting big. A player in an Ibaka mold would be perfect.

I couldn't agree more. Can't believe he is still on the market.

I'm not sure where the Suns can find the money unless they waive and stretch Tyer Johnson which I am reticent to do.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I'm not sure where the Suns can find the money unless they waive and stretch Tyer Johnson which I am reticent to do.

I believe Ibaka is still under contract with the Raptors.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe Ibaka is still under contract with the Raptors.

I just looked it up as well. He is indeed under contract with the Raptors this season.

Onward to hoping for Faried or Trey Lyles who is a RFA.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I did not know he was on the market. Is he a FA? I just used him as an example of the type of player.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I just looked it up as well. He is indeed under contract with the Raptors this season.

Onward to hoping for Faried or Trey Lyles who is a RFA.

Don't get your hopes up. I can't for the life of me figure out why the Suns are targeting another shooting guard, when we have such an obvious need for rebounding and rim protection in the frontcourt.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did not know he was on the market. Is he a FA? I just used him as an example of the type of player.

No but I thought you were saying that. You used the word "mold" so I should have looked it up which I did afterwards.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Don't get your hopes up. I can't for the life of me figure out why the Suns are targeting another shooting guard, when we have such an obvious need for rebounding and rim protection in the frontcourt.
I actually agree with you 100% on this! 4 bigs is not good. One goes down, it can be a long stretch for the remaining three. I would like to actually see a young development guy that is a shot blocker rebounder.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I actually agree with you 100% on this! 4 bigs is not good. One goes down, it can be a long stretch for the remaining three. I would like to actually see a young development guy that is a shot blocker rebounder.

Plus outside of Ayton, none of our bigs has any capacity to be a rebounder or rim protector.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
To be fair, neither of our draft picks are in SL as of now. I would imagine at least one if not both would have made the top 50 otherwise.

There are numerous players listed that won't be on their summer league team till after draft day trades are completed tomorrow. So that isn't the reason

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
My hope....HOPE....is that our Summer League team and Regular Season team are placed as bottom dwellers/underdog status. That way, they have a chip on their shoulders and wreak havoc, ala AZ Cardinals a few years ago.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
You guys have to watch the Philly vs MIL game. Koumadje is killing it! Blocked a dunk that will probably be on Sportscenter! 7'4" guy who knows how not to bring the ball down and just dunk or shot on lobs.

Pelle looks good, too. Pelle is a very atletic big.

Philly finding some players. Zaire Smith on their Summer League team too.

Philly might be tough to beat.

Last edited:

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I am looking forward to watching Jalen Lecque. Hope he shows some skills to be a PG of the future.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looking forward to watching the suns tonight is cam johnson playing? And also watching zion

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Looking forward to watching the suns tonight is cam johnson playing? And also watching zion
Cam and Jerome are not playing as they are not technically Suns players yet. They should hopefully sign tomorrow and join the SL team after that.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am looking forward to watching Jalen Lecque. Hope he shows some skills to be a PG of the future.
This kid will be fun to watch, but I have no illusions of a real NBA career for him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm holding out some hope for Spalding and hoping Owens shows something. For once I'm not worried about how our PG's look. I'd like to see Okobo do well though.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Coby White looking real good in Summer League! Looks Haeden-esque against this competition.

Nick Perkins for the Lakers looks like a clone of Julius Randle. Even looks like him from a distance.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
So Zion is putting on a show but if you are watching it he has been blocked 3 times which is something I was wondering would happen as he adjusts to NBA life, he really needs to fix his shooting if he wants to be a star he can't shoot so slow and flat in the NBA

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh boy, the hot takes of summer league.

Not trying to pick on you Yuma but every season there are some wild statements made about what is generally an exhibition tournament with a level of play so terrible that it is almost impossible to project anything from.

I swear, I should go back through Summer Leagues of year's gone by. Kelly Olynuk had locked up rookie of the year by halftime of his first summer league game according to one poster, Kevin Knox was the steal of the draft last year, Trevon Duval was going to make CP3 expendable.

And of course, our own future stud, Dionte Christmas.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose