Suns hire Frank Vogel as next head coach

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Mat Ishbia is serious about going first class with coaching, scouts and players. It's too bad the CBA has tied his hands.

Any day, I'm expecting he will announce the Suns will be forming a G-League team.

There were remarks made towards the end of the season about it. The Suns are now the only franchise without a G-League team. Shareef Abul-Rahim believes it will happen soon.

Also learned the NAZ Suns didn't even play their final season, electing not to participate in the bubble G-League back in 2021. Sarver was such a weenie, looking to cut costs wherever he could and the team was sold already so why bother.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns will have a press conference at noon tomorrow with James Jones.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
If he's right about picking up CP3's $30 million extension, then Ayton has to be gone. You can't add meaningfully depth to this team without one or both leaving.
I guess the team feel they owe CP3 to give him a chance to win one title before retirement. I looked up some teams rosters and actually believe OKC might be a good trading partner. DA for either of Dieng and Jaylin W. + one of Waters, Joe, Wiggins, and 20+m trade exc. OKC have too many similar young players for each position while they definitely couldn't retain more than 1-2 long term, as strong role players. OTH, quality bigs like DA is hard to come by. DA/Holmgren/Dort/Giddy/SGA is a formidble starting lineup. For the Suns, they could use the now-available full MLE on Brook Lopez, while 20+m TE gives them a lot flexibilty.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess the team feel they owe CP3 to give him a chance to win one title before retirement. I looked up some teams rosters and actually believe OKC might be a good trading partner. DA for either of Dieng and Jaylin W. + one of Waters, Joe, Wiggins, and 20+m trade exc. OKC have too many similar young players for each position while they definitely couldn't retain more than 1-2 long term, as strong role players. OTH, quality bigs like DA is hard to come by. DA/Holmgren/Dort/Giddy/SGA is a formidble starting lineup. For the Suns, they could use the now-available full MLE on Brook Lopez, while 20+m TE gives them a lot flexibilty.

I agree OKC could be a good trade partner for DA but I don't think we could move DA and get a trade exception while falling below the tax line. We'd like need to rescind the trade exception to dip down below the tax line to get the full MLE. Trade exceptions are weird and they don't count against the cap but they kind of do since a team can get away with being below the salary floor if they have a trade exception available they plan to use.

The new CBA complicates things more with exceptions because things like the MLE can be used in trades now, so a team can take in a player making $7m (for example) if they had their MLE available and another team was willing to part with them for a pick or something.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Not sure why OKC would have interest in DA with Jaylin Williams and Chet Holmgren making peanuts. I’d watch out for the Bulls if they don’t re-sign Big Vooch. I would like Caruso and Williams but we’d have to take back an overpaid wing.

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
Not sure why OKC would have interest in DA with Jaylin Williams and Chet Holmgren making peanuts. I’d watch out for the Bulls if they don’t re-sign Big Vooch. I would like Caruso and Williams but we’d have to take back an overpaid wing.
upsides. Jaylin's is maybe Capela and Rooney. Chet's not sure. DA's is 18/10 upwards.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pitched Ouchie Caruso and Vooch this weekend, but Caruso, Williams and an overpaid wing is a deal I’d probably take in a heartbeat.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I just don't understand how CP at 30M makes sense in any universe. He's worthless in the playoffs and kills our flow in general.

If we're getting rid of one of the two, I at least have hope that Ayton will possibly flourish with a new coach/system.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Expect to see Frank Vogel introduced as the Suns new head coach today at noon.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I just don't understand how CP at 30M makes sense in any universe. He's worthless in the playoffs and kills our flow in general.

If we're getting rid of one of the two, I at least have hope that Ayton will possibly flourish with a new coach/system.
As far as coverage goes both are liabilities - Vogel might be a defensive dude but good luck stopping teams from picking on CP3 and good luck playing 4 on 5 during the Ayton Alerts

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
As far as coverage goes both are liabilities - Vogel might be a defensive dude but good luck stopping teams from picking on CP3 and good luck playing 4 on 5 during the Ayton Alerts
Yeah, a top 4 of Booker/Durant/Ayton/CP and min contracts doesn't seem to be the formula for success. The only real ways we can make meaningful change will be to find something to do with CP/Ayton.

I'm terrified that James Jones is in charge of that initiative.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Yeah, a top 4 of Booker/Durant/Ayton/CP and min contracts doesn't seem to be the formula for success. The only real ways we can make meaningful change will be to find something to do with CP/Ayton.

I'm terrified that James Jones is in charge of that initiative.
Starting to think James Jones has become less of a GM and more of a extremely well payed personal assistant the past couple few months

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
New ownership. We can watch and see if that was the Sarver effect or not.
It seems pretty obvious at this point that Ishbia personally was the driving force behind the Durant trade.

I personally feel that James Jones issues are more philosophical than money related, but we'll see!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It seems pretty obvious at this point that Ishbia personally was the driving force behind the Durant trade.

I personally feel that James Jones issues are more philosophical than money related, but we'll see!
I'm not giving JJ a pass. But there's no excuse on tight purse strings now for him to go get guys. I get he may be constrained by the new CBA, but every sports show I watch keep saying Phoenix is now a destination for free agents. Let's see what JJ can do if that's true.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not giving JJ a pass. But there's no excuse on tight purse strings now for him to go get guys. I get he may be constrained by the new CBA, but every sports show I watch keep saying Phoenix is now a destination for free agents. Let's see what JJ can do if that's true.
I can see free agents wanting to play with Booker and KD, I don't know how we make it happen.