Suns @ Hawks Thursday game thread 2-9-2023

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm beginning to think Ayton just isn't smart, he doesn't understand how the ball will come off the rim. This is an extreme example, but Rodman studied a lot of film to see how different shots come off the rim. Ayton's just been about his physical gifts and does nothing to become greater than that.

And we know mentally he's a midget. Look at who he got the 15 rebounds on, the Nets and Pistons, who have centers ranked probably in the 25-30th spot for starting centers.That's the only time he lights up when he plays guys well inferior. Anytime he goes up against a well know center he usually underperforms and just flat out doesn't try harder.
Think about it. DA gets double digit rebounds in his sleep. If he is just to dumb to get rebounds, then why does he get so many rebounds. Last night was an aberration. Maybe he was just too dumb LAST NIGHT to get rebounds.

He just seems focused and intense some nights and other nights he is in "don't worry, be happy" mode.

He just doesn't hate losing as much as Book and CP3 do.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Ayton's not a basketball savant, but he's not stupid. He certainly has to work on things like spacing and boxing out. His issues continue to be assertiveness.

The only elite center he consistently struggles against is Embiid. I cant think of one game against Philly where he played like a top-5 center. He plays his best against Jokic, where Jokic shoots some of his lowest percentage.
This is correct. the dude is smart and so physically gifted but lacks the awareness and "street smarts" of the truly special players. He's about to be the 3rd or 4th cog in the wheel given the night and that's probably right where he should be.

On the NBA League pass feed he was really yucking it up pregame with the guys. for some reason you get the stadium feed sometimes and I got to see much of the warmup. Lots of crossover step back 15 footers and between the legs types of stuff. I didn't get the sense he was truly locked in. Especially after losing his best friend the way he did 12 hours earlier.

I really hope we can find some sustained intensity from him at some point. Maybe KD can demand it out of him more. Not sure.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dang was out l n glad I missed gm fig suns would l no book :( and mikal cam gone

Really looking forward to seeing suns at full strength with 3 lead superstars cp3 kd book and sometimes da shows up lol..... ugh

It's alright if suns meet hawks in poffs they will crush them with kd slashing to the rim!

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure and we all know I will criticize Ayton when appropriate but I thought he had like a B- game last night. There were a couple F- players though that unfortunately played a lot of minutes due to the roster.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think about it. DA gets double digit rebounds in his sleep. If he is just to dumb to get rebounds, then why does he get so many rebounds. Last night was an aberration. Maybe he was just too dumb LAST NIGHT to get rebounds.

He just seems focused and intense some nights and other nights he is in "don't worry, be happy" mode.

He tends to rebound his area pretty well but not do much beyond that (most nights). Last night a couple of physical players moved him just enough so that his area simply wasn't where the ball was going. He looked like Channing Frye out there trying to rebound from almost under the hoop. And when it was borderline in his area, Capela and Okongwu fought harder than he did.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What ATL and Dallas do to us is crazy. They spread out run iso over and over and we can’t stop it.

Monty never makes and adjustment. It’s the same stuff every time we play either team

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn’t talking about you bud
Pretty sure you were. Perhaps you're misremembering but I'd be surprised if you can find a post here denying the close relationship between effort and rebounds.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn’t talking about you bud
Who was this person? I remember this exchange and most people don't believe that. So, even if there was one that seems like a reach to bring up an exception. Rebounding is only partially about effort. There is more to it than that. You have to have some instincts for the ball, need to know how to position and where to be. Some of it is also talent. Basketball IQ has something to do with it.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pretty sure you were. Perhaps you're misremembering but I'd be surprised if you can find a post here denying the close relationship between effort and rebounds.

So now you’re telling me what I ment huh. Don’t flatter yourself this isn’t about you but if you want to make it into something we can do that to.

I personally don’t give one single **** about your opinion on what it takes to get rebounds effort or not, right place right time or not.

Trust and believe I ain’t shy and never have been on this board.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

I get that DA is known to sometimes have games like this where he seems to lack effort, but this is probably one game where I can accept a bit of a flat performance. I get these guys get paid a lot to play, but it was emotional day with two of his best friends being shipped out. My understanding is that the news hit DA pretty hard. I can give this game a pass, but he is gonna have to pick it up going forward.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So now you’re telling me what I ment huh. Don’t flatter yourself this isn’t about you but if you want to make it into something we can do that to.

I personally don’t give one single **** about your opinion on what it takes to get rebounds effort or not, right place right time or not.

Trust and believe I ain’t shy and never have been on this board.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think rebounding is mostly about focus and effort, but there is a lot more such as boxing out, instinct and athleticism.

You have to want the basketball more than anyone else.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is correct. the dude is smart and so physically gifted but lacks the awareness and "street smarts" of the truly special players. He's about to be the 3rd or 4th cog in the wheel given the night and that's probably right where he should be.

On the NBA League pass feed he was really yucking it up pregame with the guys. for some reason you get the stadium feed sometimes and I got to see much of the warmup. Lots of crossover step back 15 footers and between the legs types of stuff. I didn't get the sense he was truly locked in. Especially after losing his best friend the way he did 12 hours earlier.

I really hope we can find some sustained intensity from him at some point. Maybe KD can demand it out of him more. Not sure.

3rd/4th cog doesn't absolve him from anything. He still starts. He still gets a fat arse paycheck. He is still 7' tall. 2 rebounds is just inexcusable.

If cp3 hasn't done it then i'm not sure what you expect KD to do. CP3 is more more of a leader than KD has been.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

First i didnt say he was too dumb, i just said he isn't a smart guy when it comes to rebounding especially in regards to the ball coming off the rim.

We have played 57 games so far, 48 applicable games for Ayton, he's had double digit rebounds in 27 of those games. So of the available games he's played, 56% of the time he gets a double digit rebounds, i'm not sure if thats "gets double digit rebounds in his sleep".

Including last night, that would 7 times he's had 5 rebounds or less this season. 14 times with rebounds of 6-9.
What mode was he in for these 21 instances of averaging single digit rebounds?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Thx for these photos. Explains why he wasnt in position for some rebounds. Maybe it's lazy analysis on my part and box scores, but Ayton at least has to be under the basket for offensive boards and should be more aggressive recovering after shots. Games that he has something like 7 boards is understandable. 2 just doesnt make sense unless he's hurt
This my main beef with him at times. He’ll effectively guard a driver who misses and then he just stand out of bounds in the baseline and watches while someone retrieves the ball and goes up uncontested. Do I expect Ayton to shut down both players? No. He’s not olajawon. But make an effort. You don’t know what you might impact.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What ATL and Dallas do to us is crazy. They spread out run iso over and over and we can’t stop it.

Monty never makes and adjustment. It’s the same stuff every time we play either team
Yup. Those are two clubs we just don’t get . To be honest I was proud that our cast irregulars made a game of it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Who was this person? I remember this exchange and most people don't believe that. So, even if there was one that seems like a reach to bring up an exception. Rebounding is only partially about effort. There is more to it than that. You have to have some instincts for the ball, need to know how to position and where to be. Some of it is also talent. Basketball IQ has something to do with it.
I’m betting it was me. I’ve already covered it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think rebounding is mostly about focus and effort, but there is a lot more such as boxing out, instinct and athleticism.

You have to want the basketball more than anyone else.

Lol. Look at the small dog hump the big dog.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose