Suns have 6th pick and 32nd pick in 2019 draft.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am a fan of Brandon Clarke. If the Suns trade down, but not too far, I would be very happy if the Suns took him.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am a fan of Brandon Clarke. If the Suns trade down, but not too far, I would be very happy if the Suns took him.

I like Clarke a lot too. He is probably the biggest lock to be a rotation player in the entire draft. His star potential isn't that high, but I think he has a great chance to be like one of the Morris brothers, only minus the crazy and better on defense.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So if they dump Warren and Josh how much cap room do we have? Wish it’d be either one of them and stretch Tyler.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:barf:

I thought Sarver was supposed to be a savvy businessman. Selling low? On two assets. At your lowest point in franchise history. Sounds desperate.

I am pretty sure in a few years we will wish for the glory days of Ryan McDonough

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Jones moves are:

Trade for the wrong guy and get lucky

Trade Ryan Anderson's favorable contract for Tyler Johnson, forcing you to ditch multiple assets to sign free agents

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Jones moves are:

Trade for the wrong guy and get lucky

Trade Ryan Anderson's favorable contract for Tyler Johnson, forcing you to ditch multiple assets to sign free agents

We would be in a similar spot if we still had Ryan Anderson right now, only it would be a near lock he'd be stretched compared to only the possibility that Tyler is. He traded a bloated contract that belonged to a player who sucked out loud for a guy who is overpaid but at least he fills a need if he's retained and can be a solid rotation if nothing else.

James Jones hired Monty Williams, does he get no credit for that?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I don't understand the negativity around this. How much value do you guys think Warren and JJ have? If they dump those two, along with the pick, and it results in an actual NBA point guard and an actual NBA power forward...what's the problem? What do you guys expect Jones to get for TJ and JJ? Kevin Durant?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:barf:

I thought Sarver was supposed to be a savvy businessman. Selling low? On two assets. At your lowest point in franchise history. Sounds desperate.

If they dump salary to land a collision I’ll be sick to my stomach. This wreaks of desperation. Expect really poor decisionmaking.

Maybe the Suns tried to trade Warren and Jackson and there were no takers... at least for the value Jones wanted.

With a trade and nothing coming back the Suns could clear 11 million cap space for Warren and 7 million for Jackson. That's enough for the Suns to be a serious player in free agency.

I agree there are more attractive targets than Darren Collison.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the negativity around this. How much value do you guys think Warren and JJ have? If they dump those two, along with the pick, and it results in an actual NBA point guard and an actual NBA power forward...what's the problem? What do you guys expect Jones to get for TJ and JJ? Kevin Durant?

Agree, the end result is what matters. I'd like to keep Jackson if that were possible. I think the best is yet to come.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Agree, the end result is what matters. I'd like to keep Jackson if that were possible. I think the best is yet to come.

I actually agree regarding Jackson. He played pretty well in the second half of last season. I would definitely prefer to keep him, but if it comes down to needing to drop him in order to sign someone like Randle, then I am completely fine with it. I know they can stretch Johnson's contract instead, but that leaves $7M on the payroll for the next three years, which is not a good thing. Another thing to consider is that Johnson, while severely overpaid, is an actual NBA player. Suns looked OK once he settled in and everyone was healthy. Suns are short on NBA-level players, and I would like to keep him, even at his current salary. He can play PG next to Booker, he can back up Booker and whoever the new point guard is. With Warren and Jackson, it's a little different because of Bridges and Oubre (assuming he is retained.)

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm fine with dumping Warren. I'd take a 2nd round pick for him if it meant we'd open up another $11 million in cap space. I don't feel the same about JJ though. It's too early to give up on him. I really don't get why some are so up and down on him. He finished the season strong, playing quite well for the final 2 months of the season, and while it sucks that it takes him that long to get going it was easy to see what he could become with some patience, coaching, and a little bit of luck. Giving him away in some sort of salary dump to me would display how short sighted James Jones is. Surely he knows that young players take time, some longer than others, but if you compare JJ's stats to Jimmy Butler, for example, he had a much better rookie and sophomore season than Butler did. I think he can end up being just as good as Butler as well, with time.

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I actually agree regarding Jackson. He played pretty well in the second half of last season. I would definitely prefer to keep him, but if it comes down to needing to drop him in order to sign someone like Randle, then I am completely fine with it. I know they can stretch Johnson's contract instead, but that leaves $7M on the payroll for the next three years, which is not a good thing. Another thing to consider is that Johnson, while severely overpaid, is an actual NBA player. Suns looked OK once he settled in and everyone was healthy. Suns are short on NBA-level players, and I would like to keep him, even at his current salary. He can play PG next to Booker, he can back up Booker and whoever the new point guard is. With Warren and Jackson, it's a little different because of Bridges and Oubre (assuming he is retained.)

Jackson and Warren are also NBA-level players. Dumping them for nothing in return is a major step backwards.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Suns are strapped for money to do much in free agency aside from keeping Oubre and the MLE. Johnson may be better than anyone the Suns can find in free agency for the money available. Hopefully the draft can fill some holes. Unless something dramatic happens, the Suns may be looking towards the trade deadline or next summer to make more significant changes to their roster.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe the Suns tried to trade Warren and Jackson and there were no takers... at least for the value Jones wanted.

With a trade and nothing coming back the Suns could clear 11 million cap space for Warren and 7 million for Jackson. That's enough for the Suns to be a serious player in free agency.

I agree there are more attractive targets than Darren Collison.

If the choice is D'Angelo Russell or Collison & JJ then I'm picking Collison & JJ. I like Russell but I don't think we need to spend $20 million or more on a PG, especially one that doesn't play defense. We can fill the position with veterans like Collison and be patient in finding our PG of the Future. At least we'll have a competent PG in place while we continue searching for a long term answer.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I'm fine with dumping Warren. I'd take a 2nd round pick for him if it meant we'd open up another $11 million in cap space. I don't feel the same about JJ though. It's too early to give up on him. I really don't get why some are so up and down on him. He finished the season strong, playing quite well for the final 2 months of the season, and while it sucks that it takes him that long to get going it was easy to see what he could become with some patience, coaching, and a little bit of luck. Giving him away in some sort of salary dump to me would display how short sighted James Jones is. Surely he knows that young players take time, some longer than others, but if you compare JJ's stats to Jimmy Butler, for example, he had a much better rookie and sophomore season than Butler did. I think he can end up being just as good as Butler as well.

That's a good point, and I probably agree with it to a large point.
I do think it's important to not look at any deals in a vacuum. Dumping JJ for nothing (I actually feel the same way about Bender) is a bad move. Dumping him to clear space to sign someone like Randle is a good move. Dumping him in order to have a chance to sign a good free agent without having an agreement in place would be stupid and short-sighted. It all depends on the end result, in my opinion.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the choice is D'Angelo Russell or Collison & JJ then I'm picking Collison & JJ. I like Russell but I don't think we need to spend $20 million or more on a PG, especially one that doesn't play defense. We can fill the position with veterans like Collison and be patient in finding our PG of the Future. At least we'll have a competent PG in place while we continue searching for a long term answer.

Russell would have to be considered a franchise piece to pay him the money he will want. I'm not there and apparently the Suns are not there either.

The thing about paying Collison, he will probably want a multiyear contract which would tie up the Suns money as well and the Suns do not have the money to throw at him for a large one year contract.

I'm thinking Jackson can still be the player fans envisioned.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
What is so difficult to understand about having to give up something to get something? Getting a star player like Holiday is fine, but when he's traded for a middling SF with only two viable skills, the world is ending. Still don't understand after all these years, there are still people that expect to get game changing players for virtually nothing.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I suppose my problem is that I expect they’ll dump those two and the 6 and then get left standing at the alter with a subpar pg and no pf.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
. Dumping him in order to have a chance to sign a good free agent without having an agreement in place would be stupid and short-sighted. It all depends on the end result, in my opinion.
This is my fear. Then they compound the error by panicking and signing a bad contract with a subpar free agent so they don’t look like they did nothing and get stuck with a bad contract tying up space.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What is so difficult to understand about having to give up something to get something? Getting a star player like Holiday is fine, but when he's traded for a middling SF with only two viable skills, the world is ending. Still don't understand after all these years, there are still people that expect to get game changing players for virtually nothing.
I don’t a single poster wouldn’t do Jrue for just a “middling SF” but what’s actually being discussed is two SFs and the 6.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nic Claxton and Kevin Porter are new invites to the Green Room.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
This is my fear. Then they compound the error by panicking and signing a bad contract with a subpar free agent so they don’t look like they did nothing and get stuck with a bad contract tying up space.

And that's definitely a valid concern, but we can't really condemn the salary dump until we see what happens afterwards.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are the teams that have worked out Coby White which includes the Suns.

Gina Mizell‏Verified account @ginamizell

North Carolina PG Coby White says one of his four workouts during the pre-draft process was with the #Suns. Minnesota, Chicago and Washington were the others.

8:38 AM - 19 Jun 2019

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Strictly based on workouts, it sound like White will fall to the Suns.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA