Suns free agency recap and going forward

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Id rather sign DSJ or Frank than Payton

Well we did sign Frank and DSJ is NOT a point guard. He's barely an NBA player, honestly. He's like a shorter Josh Jackson. He has a lot of physical gifts but he doesn't know how to apply them. I know he's younger than Payton but he hasn't shown much improvement at this point and the only chance he does is being out of the league because he's also had attitude issues, thinking he's much more than he is.

Payton was the starting PG on a winning team last year. He's a 3rd stringer here. I really don't see why people are hating on the signing.

IIRC Payton also beat out Dennis Smith Jr for minutes and the starting role during his stint in New York. So yeah, definitely better than him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well we did sign Frank and DSJ is NOT a point guard. He's barely an NBA player, honestly. He's like a shorter Josh Jackson. He has a lot of physical gifts but he doesn't know how to apply them. I know he's younger than Payton but he hasn't shown much improvement at this point and the only chance he does is being out of the league because he's also had attitude issues, thinking he's much more than he is.

Payton was the starting PG on a winning team last year. He's a 3rd stringer here. I really don't see why people are hating on the signing.

IIRC Payton also beat out Dennis Smith Jr for minutes and the starting role during his stint in New York. So yeah, definitely better than him.
I think he was talking about the Frank (Ntilikina) that was mentioned in the article. Otherwise I agree with your post. And I have no idea what those two pseudo point guards are looking for in free agency, not a lot of PGs are beating the bush for minimum contracts to play behind two other point guards.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I really don't understand this. Payton has no upside, and currently is not a good player. I just don't understand why any NBA team would want him.

As a third stringer I would at least want someone who has some potential, or who is at least not a liability.
Because he is the the third point guard. You are not going to get a perfect player to be the third string player and not get much playing time. Payton started a large majority of games for the Knicks who were one of the best teams in the East. He is obviously competent.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Official word of free agent signings for the Suns are slow to trickle in.

So far there are only:

Chris Paul
Cam Payne
Abdel Nader

And trade:

Landry Shamet.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Payton had the worst +/- on the entire Knicks roster last year.

By the playoffs he was out of their rotation entirely.

In Payton's last run here in Phoenix, while the team was bad, he was shockingly bad. He posted a mind boggling -256 in a mere 551 minutes on the court. Any player with a worse +/- than him on that team played more than 3 times as many minutes, no one else on that team was even close to him on a suck per minute ratio.

The defense of "he is only 3rd string" doesn't work for me. This is not a serviceable player, he isn't good as a 3rd string, he can't hold the fort, he has made a career of having opposing teams go on massive runs while he is on the court.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Payton had the worst +/- on the entire Knicks roster last year.

By the playoffs he was out of their rotation entirely.

In Payton's last run here in Phoenix, while the team was bad, he was shockingly bad. He posted a mind boggling -256 in a mere 551 minutes on the court. Any player with a worse +/- than him on that team played more than 3 times as many minutes, no one else on that team was even close to him on a suck per minute ratio.

The defense of "he is only 3rd string" doesn't work for me. This is not a serviceable player, he isn't good as a 3rd string, he can't hold the fort, he has made a career of having opposing teams go on massive runs while he is on the court.
Going by totals is a bit misleading. He was a -2.4 per 36 minutes and that isn't close to the worst on the team, he just played way more minutes than the players that were worse.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Going by totals is a bit misleading. He was a -2.4 per 36 minutes and that isn't close to the worst on the team, he just played way more minutes than the players that were worse.

That doesn't fit the narrative though. Ive never heard of players being responsible for 2 point runs consistently.

How does that compare to Moore and Galloway, per game?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope we hear more about free agency signings today.

At least we have the Suns Las Vegas Summer League game tonight to look forward too.

It is scheduled to be televised at 7:30 p.m. on ESPN 2.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Chicago is desperate for anything back do we do Crowder & Smith for Lauri?

I don't think they're desperate. Seems like Lauri wants out but Chicago doesn't need to accommodate him. He is restricted free agent.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I hope we hear more about free agency signings today.

At least we have the Suns Las Vegas Summer League game tonight to look forward too.

It is scheduled to be televised at 7:30 p.m. on ESPN 2.

I believe the game is Sunday night.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Chicago is desperate for anything back do we do Crowder & Smith for Lauri?

im not trading Crowders defense and toughness + Stix upside for Lauri who pretty much plays no defense at all.

it’s not all about Stats when you talk about a guy like Crowder he’s a locker room leader and a dog on the court that sets the tone.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
im not trading Crowders defense and toughness + Stix upside for Lauri who pretty much plays no defense at all.

it’s not all about Stats when you talk about a guy like Crowder he’s a locker room leader and a dog on the court that sets the tone.

Agree about Crowder but we’re pretty limited offensively beyond our backcourt. I was just curious if you take a risk on upside but I don’t think Jones would

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Even in that stat he is 12th on the team, and the guys behind him barely saw enough minutes to evaluate anything.

He is an abysmal shooter who doesn't play a lick of defense. He might make a nice bounce pass here and there to create a look for someone but in 9 out of 10 plays he either does nothing or he does something awful.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe the game is Sunday night.

Exactly. I stand corrected. The Suns summer league game is Sunday night against the Lakers.

I guess I wanted to have back-to-back basketball action.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering why we haven't heard more about free agent players officially signing with teams. The Suns announced three signings officially (Chris Paul, Cam Payne and Abdel Nader) and then nothing.

I can't help but wonder if the NBA has some sort of restriction on player signings due to the the ongoing tampering investigations involving the Lonzo Ball and Kyle Lowry sign and trade deals.

Any thoughts? It's so quiet.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering why we haven't heard more about free agent players officially signing with teams. The Suns announced three signings officially (Chris Paul, Cam Payne and Abdel Nader) and then nothing.

I can't help but wonder if the NBA has some sort of restriction on player signings due to the the ongoing tampering investigations involving the Lonzo Ball and Kyle Lowry sign and trade deals.

Any thoughts? It's so quiet.

I really doubt it. A lot has happened already but between the Olympics and the fact the business week has ended, it's just the way it typically goes. Last year there were similar comments about the silence and inactivity.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder if this tampering investigation is holding things up. There would be a massive upheaval if those trades are revoked. It seems like an unlikely outcome though.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really doubt it. A lot has happened already but between the Olympics and the fact the business week has ended, it's just the way it typically goes. Last year there were similar comments about the silence and inactivity.

I don't recall such a delay especially involving so many teams and I follow the local and national media closely regarding the NBA. It has been like crickets chirping since the initial wave of official signings.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if this tampering investigation is holding things up. There would be a massive upheaval if those trades are revoked. It seems like an unlikely outcome though.
Other teams might be waiting for a chance to grab someone that falls out of one of these trades but if the league wanted them to stop doing business, they'd announce it IMO. I just think the timing of the olympics has made a lot of players unavailable for signing and now we're into the weekend where things seldom happen (and the league offices aren't open for business).