Suns free agency recap and going forward

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if this tampering investigation is holding things up. There would be a massive upheaval if those trades are revoked. It seems like an unlikely outcome though.

I would think it shouldn't but it's been eerily quiet.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder if this tampering investigation is holding things up. There would be a massive upheaval if those trades are revoked. It seems like an unlikely outcome though.

There's the tampering investigation going on and there was that big 5 team trade that involved Westbrook to LA, A S&T for Dinwiddie to Washington, the Pacers, Nets, and Spurs also. That deal had a ton of moving parts and kept getting bigger as time went on. Most of the players involved aren't listed on their correct teams on sites like ESPN, BBReference, etc. So the league office has been busy.

Details of that huge trade...

Hoopsrumors.com/2021/08/five-team-russell-westbrook-spencer-dinwiddie-trade-now-official.html

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only a rumor but too juicy not to share.

Thaddeus Young is on a one year $14,190,000 expiring contract so I'm not sure how that gets done.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only a rumor but too juicy not to share.

Thaddeus Young is on a one year $14,190,000 expiring contract so I'm not sure how that gets done.

if we were able to pull off a deal here without losing any of our core, it would be a huge pickup. Not huge in its singularity impact on the team, but as far as totally crafting a sick bench while filling our biggest need? Get it done.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if we were able to pull off a deal here without losing any of our core, it would be a huge pickup. Not huge in its singularity impact on the team, but as far as totally crafting a sick bench while filling our biggest need? Get it done.

Looking at salaries to make the trade work, it would likely involve Dario Saric and Jalen Smith of the Suns.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I like Young, but I can't figure out what the Suns can trade to get him. Nobody is taking Saric and Smith, even for free. Suns have no picks left to trade either.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crowder if they think Cam is prime for a bigger role. We’d get off the last year of Jae’s deal and Saric would be back for 2023.

It's a slow day in the NBA. I need to avoid rumors.

The Suns aren't going to include Crowder for Young. It would be more like Smith and Saric.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Young and McGee would be a home run you really stack your front court now.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you’d have to throw Cam J into a deal as the major piece to make it happen.

You're probably right and there's no way I'd give up Cam J for Young at this point. Like I said elsewhere, a deal with Cam J and Saric for Markennen would be worth considering and even though i wouldn't advocate for it, I'd understand and accept it. Cam J for 33 year old Thaddeus Young? No thanks.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To make him happy. If he wants out, than it is in their best interest to get him out of there. They will not get much for him from anyone.

Sure, that makes sense but we wouldn't even be giving them an expiring contract. It would make more sense for them to buy him out than to take on extra salary for lesser players.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been posted. Year 2 of Nader's contract is a team option.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been posted. Year 2 of Nader's contract is a team option.

Two years guaranteed would have been a good signing.

Some players made out like bandits while others seemed content to sign for below market value.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Two years guaranteed would have been a good signing.

Some players made out like bandits while others seemed content to sign for below market value.

All of the Suns signing have been very team friendly. With Nader being older and with how much time he missed, I can see the Suns wanting an out just in case so its a really good deal on their part.

After seeing the details of the CP3, Cam Payne, and Nader deals though I have a feeling we may be able to sign Ayton for less than max and that Bridges deal will be as reasonable.

James Jones seems to have a knack for contract negotiations. We'll see what happens, of course, but I'm pretty confident we'll be able to field a competitive team without worry about payroll getting out of control.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The deals the Suns have struck thus far have been extremely team friendly but I suspect James Jones will eventually negotiate with agents and players that draw a firmer line. Actually that may be one of the reasons he is building a financial cushion to sign potential max players.