Suns free agency recap and going forward

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So when will Elfrid Payton play? Not in the playoffs I guess, so it's just the regular season in garbage minutes or in case of resting players or injuries. I prefer him over Galloway (as a point guard) as long as we have enough fire power and energy from the bench to surround him. As a scorer and general basketball player I'd rather play Galloway I think, but to just control the ball and run plays and not be a defensive liability, Payton is fine.
If we are seeing a bunch of Elfrid Payton the game is going very very wrong. I don't think we see much barring injury. That's OK. Much like the Frank signing they are bodies to have just in case. They won't make or break this team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They do have the assets but it would have to include Mikal

Yeah, I don't think the Suns are willing to give up Mikal so I don't think it happens unless they don't want to pay him what he will want.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we sign Elfrid Payton, it will be the first JJ move that I absolutely HATE. Would much rather have Etwan or Langston.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They do have the assets but it would have to include Mikal
A Markannen move would be interesting. Still, I don't think we have the assets in the form of moveable salary. If it includes Mikal, it would also have to include Saric, just to make the salaries work. To me though, Mikal is more valuable than Laurie.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried considering Lauri for Cam J and Saric (salary) and I'd be hesitant to pull the trigger. If Jones made that deal, I'd trust him and Monty believe they can get Markkanen to play average defensively but I think Cam will prove to be the better player in time, especially if he can bulk up some.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I tried considering Lauri for Cam J and Saric (salary) and I'd be hesitant to pull the trigger. If Jones made that deal, I'd trust him and Monty believe they can get Markkanen to play average defensively but I think Cam will prove to be the better player in time, especially if he can bulk up some.
Cam eventually better than Markannen? Your lips to God's ears, man. Keep up the good thoughts.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would have done the above trade for Markkanen but the Bulls would have wanted more I suspect.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Id rather have Payton than Okobo. Maybe Payton and Payne have a little ******* contest for mins. Steel sharpens steel. I used to get mad when Okobo got mins.
I haven't really seen Markkanen play much but a dude named Lauri is bound to be a tough SOB.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If we sign Elfrid Payton, it will be the first JJ move that I absolutely HATE. Would much rather have Etwan or Langston.
I dunno maybe Monte or Jones saw something they didn't like or couldn't correct in those two. They never got any mins to prove themselves.
When we first got Galloway he came in and dropped 17pts in 3's in like 5 mins then he didn't play for 2 months.
They tried and tried with Etwan but again he got stuck on the bottom of the bench for some reason. (actually he was injured for a bit)
We cant keep playing CP3 all those mins we need some stability just not sure Elfrid brings that.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Paul is officially back.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam Payne officially back as well.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We still have zero confirmation of Elfrid signing with us, right?

This the closest I found to confirmation. This guy is the beat writer for the Knicks with the New York Post. I'd say he has some insight. I know its not official but I take that more seriously than some Suns fan blogs saying it'll happen.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Abdel Nader now official.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need to add Landry Shamet!

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This the closest I found to confirmation. This guy is the beat writer for the Knicks with the New York Post. I'd say he has some insight. I know its not official but I take that more seriously than some Suns fan blogs saying it'll happen.

I really don't understand this. Payton has no upside, and currently is not a good player. I just don't understand why any NBA team would want him.

As a third stringer I would at least want someone who has some potential, or who is at least not a liability.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I really don't understand this. Payton has no upside, and currently is not a good player. I just don't understand why any NBA team would want him.

As a third stringer I would at least want someone who has some potential, or who is at least not a liability.
Hmm just started the lions share of games for a fourth seeded playoff team.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Hes the best 3rd stringer you're gonna get. God forbid our 2 CPs go down...youd want an NBA caliber back up....that's what EP is. I think you just havent let go of the hair

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score

Id rather sign DSJ or Frank than Payton

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose