Suns free agency recap and going forward

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Paul Millsap, as a filler for like 10 minutes a night, is perfectly fine. He played 20 a game last year for a 3rd seeded team.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Whoops sorry guys. Random people keep showing up on my Twitter feed. It is sometimes complicated to sort who is legit and who is not:)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if the Suns decide to choose between Frank Kaminsky and Aron Baynes, I'd probably go with Frank.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns sign Millsap I hope it is only for the veteran minimum and keep the remaining MLE and BAE for future options.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If the Suns sign Millsap I hope it is only for the veteran minimum and keep the remaining MLE and BAE for future options.

It would only be a 1 year deal, and they aren't really looking at anyone other than fillers. Does it really matter? I'd rather overpay Millsap than bring back Kaminsky.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So if the Suns decide to choose between Frank Kaminsky and Aron Baynes, I'd probably go with Frank.
Agreed. People seem to think he was really good for us, but by in large, we played better without him.

Playing him and Ayton together was a disaster so he wouldn't really work at the 4.

Really, if he isn't hot from 3, he was pretty useless.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. People seem to think he was really good for us, but by in large, we played better without him.

Playing him and Ayton together was a disaster so he wouldn't really work at the 4.

Really, if he isn't hot from 3, he was pretty useless.

Overall the stats favor Kaminsky and he is 27 and Baynes is 34. Besides I think Frank is a great locker room guy.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we didn't sign McGee then I'd prefer Baynes over Frank but since we did we're looking at 3rd string and I'd prefer Frank because he can play alongside Ayton and Baynes can't. I'd prefer our 3rd string players be able to play more than one position.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Millsap is fine in a limited role as a pick and pop guy and can still give you some buckets on the post. He won’t be great defensively but that won’t be the ask of him.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Millsap is fine in a limited role as a pick and pop guy and can still give you some buckets on the post. He won’t be great defensively but that won’t be the ask of him.

He at least would provide resistance and be able muscle up and bang with an opponent rather than letting him just back up right to the hop or bump him out of the way for a rebound. Outside of Crowder, we are really missing that element.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nah. I go with Baynes. When Giannis lowers his shoulder and runs into Baynes, its Giannis that is going to get hurt. Baynes is a brick wall.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah. I go with Baynes. When Giannis lowers his shoulder and runs into Baynes, its Giannis that is going to get hurt. Baynes is a brick wall.

If Baynes decides to play inside and can get there. Baynes wiill turn 35 in December. Kaminsky is still young at 27.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Burns and Gambo just both acknowledged that which I thought and have been saying:

Cam Johnson is the Suns' primary back-up 3 (as he SHOULD be), NOT the back-up 4. They specifically stated that as the roster is currently constructed, Jalen Smith is the presumptive back-up 4.

This team CANNOT go into next season with Stix as the presumptive back-up 4.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Burns and Gambo just both acknowledged that which I thought and have been saying:

Cam Johnson is the Suns' primary back-up 3 (as he SHOULD be), NOT the back-up 4. They specifically stated that as the roster is currently constructed, Jalen Smith is the presumptive back-up 4.

This team CANNOT go into next season with Stix as the presumptive back-up 4.

It very well could. I am sure they want Stix to succeed. He is the 10th overall pick afterall.

Even if he is the backup, it would not be a total disaster. We went all of last season with no backup center - and that is a more important position.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No. Baynes is done. We’re not signing him simply because he might take a charge from Giannis.

I tend to agree. I would rather take my chances with a younger big, than a guy like him who is clearly over the hill.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It very well could. I am sure they want Stix to succeed. He is the 10th overall pick afterall.

Even if he is the backup, it would not be a total disaster. We went all of last season with no backup center - and that is a more important position.

If I am Chris Paul, and the Suns go into the season with Stix as the primary back-up 4, I immediately ask for a trade. Chris Paul signed here to compete for a championship, not go back to the Earl Watson/Jay Triano/Igor Kokoskov era where they throw guys into the fire who aren't anywhere near ready.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I am Chris Paul, and the Suns go into the season with Stix as the primary back-up 4, I immediately ask for a trade. Chris Paul signed here to compete for a championship, not go back to the Earl Watson/Jay Triano/Igor Kokoskov era where they throw guys into the fire who aren't anywhere near ready.
Sheldon's mom had him tested, how about your mom?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sheldon's mom had him tested, how about your mom?

The only thing crazy would be signing Chris Paul to $75 million in guaranteed money only to give major rotation minutes to a guy who couldn't cut it in the G League last year.

Heck, while we're at it, why not just cut Cam Payne and bring back Elie Okobo to take his minutes?

Better yet, since he was also a Top 10 pick, let's bring back Dragan Bender and insert him into the starting line-up...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only thing crazy would be signing Chris Paul to $75 million in guaranteed money only to give major rotation minutes to a guy who couldn't cut it in the G League last year.

Heck, while we're at it, why not just cut Cam Payne and bring back Elie Okobo to take his minutes?

Better yet, since he was also a Top 10 pick, let's bring back Dragan Bender and insert him into the starting line-up...
I think "crazy" is jumping off a cliff because two sports talk show hacks said something for effect.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I think "crazy" is jumping off a cliff because two sports talk show hacks said something for effect.
He is totally misrepresenting what they were saying anyways. They were talking about bringing in another FA 4 because as of right now Stix is behind Crowder at the 4. Cam Johnson wasn’t brought up in small ball situations at the 4 because that wasn’t the crux of what they were talking about.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He is totally misrepresenting what they were saying anyways. They were talking about bringing in another FA 4 because as of right now Stix is behind Crowder at the 4. Cam Johnson wasn’t brought up in small ball situations at the 4 because that wasn’t the crux of what they were talking about.

The quote from Burns was this: "Right now, the presumptive back-up at power forward is Jalen Smith."

No word about Cam Johnson or anyone else to expand upon that or attempt to dispute or refute it.

I tend to take words for their actual meaning.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
The quote from Burns was this: "Right now, the presumptive back-up at power forward is Jalen Smith."

No word about Cam Johnson or anyone else to expand upon that or attempt to dispute or refute it.

I tend to take words for their actual meaning.
They were specifically talking about when they need more bulk at the 4 position (it was a conversation about bringing in Millsap).

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They were specifically talking about when they need more bulk at the 4 position (it was a conversation about bringing in Millsap).

Yes, and they were for it because "right now, the presumptive back-up . . . is Jalen Smith". Not a word about Cam taking minutes there. Not. A. Word.