Suns free agency recap and going forward

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why an inch away? Those of you constantly responding to him have allowed him to hijack every thread about the suns offseason. It’s a shame. The amount of “you are ridiculous” responses is what’s ridiculous at this point. He’s not changing. It’s up to you.
Actually somehow I have remained unscathed all this time. Most of my conversations reasonable. Then again, I typically skipped over his comments too.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
These are all match-ups we routinely lost at power forward last season.
<SIGH> Most of that list would STILL be a match up in favor of our opponent even if the Suns signed a decent, yet expensive power forward.

That's how sports work; you have some match ups that you are better than your opponent, while your opponent has matchups that favor them. The Suns are better at the 1,2, and 5 than most teams they will face, and are better at the 3 than quite a few others. If you win 60% of your match up, you win most of the time.

The Bucks series went sideways because the Suns stopped winning the point guard and center match up.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
<SIGH> Most of that list would STILL be a match up in favor of our opponent even if the Suns signed a decent, yet expensive power forward.

That's how sports work; you have some match ups that you are better than your opponent, while your opponent has matchups that favor them. The Suns are better at the 1,2, and 5 than most teams they will face, and are better at the 3 than quite a few others. If you win 60% of your match up, you win most of the time.

The Bucks series went sideways because the Suns stopped winning the point guard and center match up.

It's not just how many match-ups you win or lose. It's also how badly those match-ups are won or lost. At present, the Suns have one of the worst power forward rotations in the league. It would do them a world of good if they at least made up some ground in that match-up against Western Conference championship hopefuls, so they don't have to rely so heavily not only on winning the match-ups at the 1, 2 and 5, but winning them by a significant margin.

A serviceable rotation 4 solves so many issues for this team. Ayton wouldn't be so at risk of foul trouble, wouldn't play so scared and wouldn't get worn down having to carry the interior load by himself so much. Cam Johnson could play his natural position and flourish with his shooting without worrying about trying to bang with guys 30-40 pounds heavier than him. And Booker and Paul wouldn't have to do so much to carry the team, which means Paul gets less physically exhausted while Booker doesn't force things (which is when his play goes sideways).

It is such an obvious need, so it baffles me why we are now in a third consecutive offseason where it isn't being addressed.

And I can't imagine being supportive of an approach where a team doesn't try to improve itself at a position because, well, the team will probably lose the match-up, anyway.

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Zion Williamson
Anthony Davis
Jaren Jackson Jr./Brandon Clarke
Draymond Green/Eric Paschall
Aaron Gordon/JaMychal Green
Marvin Bagley/Chimezie Metu
Serge Ibaka

Come on.

We lost in our matchup to Aaron Gordon? He looked sorry against us.

Marvin Bagley is so bad he doesn't beat anyone, and even if he does the kings are so bad it is completely irrelevant because we will still win.

Draymond Green? Seriously? The day we have to worry about Draymond kicking our butt on the offensive end is well Never.

Jaren Jackson Jr basically takes 3's and thats it. I suppose we do need someone to box him out, but considering how skinny he is, that's not really too tough.

I will give you Zion and Anthony Davis are big problems - but Zion is a problem for EVERYONE. We could use another big to guard AD for sure.

Actually your list has made me feel much better about our lack of size.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Paul Millsap is old and broken down, but every time he steps on the court, he's nothing if not solid. I have no problem if we sign him to something like the minimum. In fact, I'll be ecstatic if he signs for the minimum. Low risk, potential reward in certain situations.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam Johnson is going to get most of the back up minutes at the 3 and the 4 anyway but if we sign Millsap that's fine. He can have the 5-10 minutes a game.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Zion Williamson - Yes
Anthony Davis - Yes
Jaren Jackson Jr./Brandon Clarke - Seriously?
Draymond Green/Eric Paschall - Green is washed. Paschall is ok
Aaron Gordon/JaMychal Green
Marvin Bagley/Chimezie Metu - Bagley is soft as tissue paper.
Serge Ibaka - Aging and fairly hurt often

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I really don't know that he helps much at all. When Dario Saric can drive around you at will, your playing days in the NBA are about over I think.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Good signing. Veteran with plenty of experience. Third big isn't gonna play a lot, but it's good to have a third big. He can hit a three as well, so he can play alongside Ayton or McGee if necessary.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good signing. Veteran with plenty of experience. Third big isn't gonna play a lot, but it's good to have a third big. He can hit a three as well, so he can play alongside Ayton or McGee if necessary.

I guess if he can at least rebound he may have some value in some situations.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Milsap hasn’t signed. “Sources are hoping.”

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

As I said yesterday, nothing left in the tank, but still better than nothing, and also better than playing Stix or a shooting guard at power forward.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish the Suns could have done this. It is almost like giving Eric Paschall away.