Suns chances at play in

FJM23

Reaction score
Is no one else outraged at the rules set for the tiebreaker and the play-in game? They are potentially ridiculous.

First off, if 2 teams tie for the 8th spot with identical records, the 9-seed still has to beat the 8 seed twice? What sense does that make? Basically the NBA was too short-sighted (stupid) to think that 2 teams could possibly tie. If the Suns win, Memphis wins and Portland loses, why in the world should the Suns have to beat the Grizzles twice in a row? It’s insane. Or even if a team is a half game behind, a one play-in game is more fair to decide it, not 2.

Secondly, if a team is a half game behind the last playoff spot, that should not count against them. Portland has an extra game played, and the Spurs played 2 less. With the imbalanced schedule, the league should have anticipated that and factored in the half game as a tolerance.

Thirdly, what if there is a 3 way tie? Fans will have to watch 2 teams play a best of 2 series while the other team sits at home? Dumb.

Today, if you’re Adam Silver, you make an announcement that any teams within a half game of the 8th spot are in the play-in round. If all 4 teams (Suns, Blazers, Grizzlies, Spurs) qualify then you go 1 v 4 and 2 v 3 and then winners next day. If 3 teams qualify you go 2 v 3 then winner v 1. It will take the same amount of days. And if only 2 teams are exactly tied then only a one game play-in game is necessary.

Who would be opposed to that? Wouldn’t a 4 team mini-tournament add a lot more juice to the playoffs?

Oh, you can’t change rules this late? Why not. This is not a normal season, all bets are off. MLB started playing 7 inning games mid-season for gods sake.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is no one else outraged at the rules set for the tiebreaker and the play-in game? They are potentially ridiculous.

First off, if 2 teams tie for the 8th spot with identical records, the 9-seed still has to beat the 8 seed twice? What sense does that make? Basically the NBA was too short-sighted (stupid) to think that 2 teams could possibly tie. If the Suns win, Memphis wins and Portland loses, why in the world should the Suns have to beat the Grizzles twice in a row? It’s insane. Or even if a team is a half game behind, a one play-in game is more fair to decide it, not 2.

Secondly, if a team is a half game behind the last playoff spot, that should not count against them. Portland has an extra game played, and the Spurs played 2 less. With the imbalanced schedule, the league should have anticipated that and factored in the half game as a tolerance.

Thirdly, what if there is a 3 way tie? Fans will have to watch 2 teams play a best of 2 series while the other team sits at home? Dumb.

Today, if you’re Adam Silver, you make an announcement that any teams within a half game of the 8th spot are in the play-in round. If all 4 teams (Suns, Blazers, Grizzlies, Spurs) qualify then you go 1 v 4 and 2 v 3 and then winners next day. If 3 teams qualify you go 2 v 3 then winner v 1. It will take the same amount of days. And if only 2 teams are exactly tied then only a one game play-in game is necessary.

Who would be opposed to that? Wouldn’t a 4 team mini-tournament add a lot more juice to the playoffs?

Oh, you can’t change rules this late? Why not. This is not a normal season, all bets are off. MLB started playing 7 inning games mid-season for gods sake.

No, maybe a little disappointed but I'm not outraged at all. Sure, they probably could have put together a fairer system but all told, I think they did pretty well.

Keep in mind, this is all about crowning a champion and keeping the TV contract money in place. It isn't about appeasing the teams at the bottom or their fans. They made a few concessions to the bottom rung teams but that was solely to motivate them to join the bubble in the first place. They had to balance a lot of things including not invalidating the pre-bubble schedule so it is what it is. JMO.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we did pretty well against Lillard and Portland until the previous 3 seasons where they just dominated us. I can only remember 1 win against them over that stretch although hopefully we've turned the corner against them as we split the schedule with them this season.

I think we would do fine against portland now.

From what I have seen pick and roll defense is the key to beating them, and I feel like we are playing that pretty well, at least when ayton is engaged - although he might foul out.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we would do fine against portland now.

From what I have seen pick and roll defense is the key to beating them, and I feel like we are playing that pretty well, at least when ayton is engaged - although he might foul out.

Yeah, that's key.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Some more on the Bucks.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Excellent news.

Bucks will be favored over Grizzlies.
Portland will be small favorites over Nets.

We have probably ~40% chance of making play-in.

Sunstroke

Veteran
Reaction score
Win or lose on Thur. V. Dallas and the Suns don't get in, I'll be disappointed of course BUT
I've resigned my disappointment to the fact I got to watch professional team sports play again
during this poo pandemic. For that I'm grateful as this Sun's run has been an amazing distraction
to whats going on outside all of our windows. This Run by the Suns has confirmed one thing and taught
me two things.
Confirmed; is my belief that Ayton needs to grow up and is a project as far as developing into an elite big man.
Learned; is that Devin Booker is a true all star. (bordering on the cusp of super star status) and that Monty Williams
is one helluva coach to have this team prepared to play the way it has since the bubble league started.

Go Suns!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What I don't like is how the Suns can go 8-0 and miss the play-in games altogether but still be forced to show up for the Bubble Award ceremony happening just prior to the 1st play in game on Saturday. Booker will be a part of that, winning a spot on the 1st team, I'd think, and a favorite for bubble MVP. They're calling it the "Seeding Games Awards" and the team with the best record is one who had nothing to do with their own playoff seeding. Why was a team involved that couldn't effect their own seeding? I know no one thought they'd win out but if they do? That will make the bubble experience look a bit sketchy and cause more casual fans to ask questions, which I don't think they want. They're fine with die-hards like us here being upset because we're viewers/customers for life, basically. The casual fans are where they get their profits though.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Booker would have to outplay Lillard in Game #8, and the Suns would have to win (and probably Portland to lose) for Booker to beat him out for MVP of Seeding Games.

He’s a strong candidate for 1st team Seeding Games.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Bubble stats:
Lillard: 37-4-9 (49% FG)
Harden: 35-9-9 (59% FG)
Booker: 29-4-7 (50% FG)
Doncic: 32-11-11 (47% FG)

Crowded backcourt...
From the stats, DBook comes in last in all categories..

Nothing to be ashamed of!

First? It's a tossup between Harden and Doncic.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I don't like is how the Suns can go 8-0 and miss the play-in games altogether but still be forced to show up for the Bubble Award ceremony happening just prior to the 1st play in game on Saturday. Booker will be a part of that, winning a spot on the 1st team, I'd think, and a favorite for bubble MVP. They're calling it the "Seeding Games Awards" and the team with the best record is one who had nothing to do with their own playoff seeding. Why was a team involved that couldn't effect their own seeding? I know no one thought they'd win out but if they do? That will make the bubble experience look a bit sketchy and cause more casual fans to ask questions, which I don't think they want. They're fine with die-hards like us here being upset because we're viewers/customers for life, basically. The casual fans are where they get their profits though.

none of the casual fans will even know what you're talking about. they'll see who's playing the in the play-in, think that's fine and move on with their day.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We're 7-0... we are playing a must win game for a chance at a playoff spot. This board can be so bi-polar that when posting here it is hard to keep it in perspective. But seriously... the we have ripped off 7 straight wins, against a harder schedule than most of our peers in the hunt. We're also the only team to beat/cover the spread in every game of the bubble.

It's crazy. If someone had told me 2 weeks ago we'd be here I'd have said "bull poo"... on 2 counts; I wouldn't have believed we could do it AND I wouldn't have believed 7-0 wasn't already good enough to lock us into 8th or 9th.

I know, no matter how tomorrow turns out, Suns fans should be as excited for the 2020/2021 season as any season in over a decade.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We're 7-0... we are playing a must win game for a chance at a playoff spot. This board can be so bi-polar that when posting here it is hard to keep it in perspective. But seriously... the we have ripped off 7 straight wins, against a harder schedule than most of our peers in the hunt. We're also the only team to beat/cover the spread in every game of the bubble.

It's crazy. If someone had told me 2 weeks ago we'd be here I'd have said "bull ****"... on 2 counts; I wouldn't have believed we could do it AND I wouldn't have believed 7-0 wasn't already good enough to lock us into 8th or 9th.

I know, no matter how tomorrow turns out, Suns fans should be as excited for the 2020/2021 season as any season in over a decade.
But Ayton isn’t a superstar and we traded TJ . . .

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

It's crazy. If someone had told me 2 weeks ago we'd be here I'd have said "bull ****"... on 2 counts; I wouldn't have believed we could do it AND I wouldn't have believed 7-0 wasn't already good enough to lock us into 8th or 9th.

For once, we are in agreement...

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Interesting article on ESPN...

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...ames-best-bubble-moments-our-play-predictions

Predictions: Which teams will make the play-in, and who wins?
MacMahon: Portland (8-seed) vs. Phoenix (9-seed). With all due respect to Phoenix's phenomenal Cinderella story -- and I agree with Suns star Devin Booker that this success can pay dividends for the franchise in the near future -- there's no way I'm betting against the Blazers to grab the West's final playoff seed. Lillard is too locked in for me to believe the Blazers will lose, at least until they face the Lakers in the playoffs.

Snellings: Portland (8) vs. Memphis (9), with the Trail Blazers winning in one. The Suns have a difficult final game and need help to get in, while Memphis has only to defeat a Bucks team with nothing to play for and that has already started resting its starters. And Giannis Antetokounmpo will be out due to suspension. Meanwhile, the Trail Blazers are just that good right now.

McMenamin: Portland (8) vs. Phoenix (9). The Suns run their win streak to nine before the Blazers beat them in the second game of the play-in.

Pelton: Portland (8) vs. Phoenix (9), with the Blazers ending the Suns' winning streak.

Bontemps: Portland (8) vs. Memphis (9), with Portland winning by 15 on Saturday to advance to play the Lakers.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the for what it's worth department.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i'm much more surprised the suns won't make the play-in at 8 and 0
than i am the Suns going 8 and 0
and they did it with 2 of their top players out

last year they were one of the worst assist teams
this year they're the best
the morale is excellent
and their coach will win a bubble award

the only downside is Ayton's first month in the league
was better than his last, 2 years later
their game-plan for utilizing him is much better
but he's still not using his physical assets (Mark Bryant should lose his job)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i'm much more surprised the suns won't make the play-in at 8 and 0
than i am the Suns going 8 and 0
and they did it with 2 of their top players out

last year they were one of the worst assist teams
this year they're the best
the morale is excellent
and their coach will win a bubble award

the only downside is Ayton's first month in the league
was better than his last, 2 years later
their game-plan for utilizing him is much better
but he's still not using his physical assets (Mark Bryant should lose his job)
Aytons D is miles better. I totally disagree with you. Ayton is the opposite of empty stats. He has an impact that the stats do not show.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
They're off.

NBA actually made a compelling play in for the West.

The east was a dud.

Suns and blazers added a bunch of excitement.

Would like to see them battle for that last spot
Yup as much as the nba loved the griz as their new darlings (with the Pels) due to morant - the play-in game everyone wants is PHX-POR. It’s the most compelling.