Suns @ Celtics game thread 12-2-17

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice idea but they literally made the greatest trade of all time and we’re not replicating that any time soon. But we do have two first rounders and some assets so there’s hope, I guess.

The Suns missed out on Kyrie Irving but they reportedly they came very close. Hopefully they have enough assets to not miss out on the next big trade opportunity. Some teams at the trade deadline or next summer (that miss their playoff goals) will be looking to trade some key players.

The Suns also need to hit on their draft picks as well.

IMO, the Suns have positioned themselves to get lucky through preparation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope that we hope for more than "trying". Seriously! Performance is evaluated based on success or failure over a period of time. There is no in-between.

When you are on the highway, there is no "trying". One is either a safe driver or they're not. You sure wouldn't want to be near the one who is trying. Like an 18 year old with no insurance. (I was rear-ended by one while sitting in traffic on the 51 not too long ago and couldn't care less what he was "trying".)

I appreciate your optimism about the Front Office and like your description of the formula for success. 'Sounds do-able.

Y'know, it is much easier lifting yourself from the bottom than maintaining at the top. When you suck, success draws compliments whereas, at the top, it is taken for granted. But the Suns, over the better part of a decade, have not been able to do that, staffed by inexperienced people.

It is trying! "Trying" on the fans. Giving the Front Office a pass is asking only for continued failure. I cannot be satisfied with that, despite the Suns hanging in there today vs. the Celtics. Not when looking at the big picture.

Let's see where we are after next summer. I think it's doable although the Suns resurgence may not come as quickly as we would like.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
If your expectation is that your sports team wins then you will only have a positive experience half the time.
I never thought I'd settle for JC's unspoken credo of "Put on a good show at home, don't embarrass yourself on the road and make an appearance in the playoffs".

But after Sarver's regime, even that would be a hell of an improvement.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I never thought I'd settle for JC's unspoken credo of "Put on a good show at home, don't embarrass yourself on the road and make an appearance in the playoffs".

Yeah

I remember when there was a contingent that always complained when the Suns were a 4 or 5 seed year after year. I definitely preferred that to NBA embarrassment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It also makes the D'Antoni years with the Suns look better.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
And in other news I became the first person to eat hummus watch the Suns play the Celtics and scratch their butt all at the same time on December 1.

Are you sure about that? If you can provide a timestamp, I, uh, may know of some potential competition. Hypothetically.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I don’t see how creating a culture of poor effort and bad fundamentals is going to help this team get better. You can draft Jesus Christ next summer

Really? Where do the mocks have him projected?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Really? Where do the mocks have him projected?

Dunno, I’ve heard he’s capable of doing some pretty miraculous things and he is black. So there’s that.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Dunno, I’ve heard he’s capable of doing some pretty miraculous things and he is black. So there’s that.

Hope that didn’t sound racist. It was a joke directed at all the people that think Jesus was a blue eyed white dude.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Hope that didn’t sound racist. It was a joke directed at all the people that think Jesus was a blue eyed white dude.

I thought it was funny, but I agree that one cannot be too careful these days.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

yikes... good hustle boys...
Holy F. These guys call themselves professionals? Chriss standing there staring the entire time is just...incredible. He's gots to go.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Yeah

I remember when there was a contingent that always complained when the Suns were a 4 or 5 seed year after year. I definitely preferred that to NBA embarrassment.

I will gladly take a 4-5 seed that is a threat every season to whatever I've been watching the past 2 years.

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
IMO, the Suns have positioned themselves to get lucky through preparation.

They’ve been preparing for 7 years and still suck - it’s not strategic, it’s straight incompetence.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t see how creating a culture of poor effort and bad fundamentals is going to help this team get better. You can draft Jesus Christ next summer and you’re still gonna lose because your organization is just a bunch of losers.

Well. To be fair. Is that just a moment in a game that was fairly hard fought or does it represent a culture?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Well. To be fair. Is that just a moment in a game that was fairly hard fought or does it represent a culture?

I tend to agree with you. I watched the game and I was pleased with the effort our guys displayed. That was a one very bad play, and they collapsed towards the end of the third quarter, but they fought back, and showed a lot of effort and desire to win. Overall, I was very happy with the team yesterday.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They’ve been preparing for 7 years and still suck - it’s not strategic, it’s straight incompetence.

When I say the Suns have positioned themselves to get lucky I'm talking about having all their first round draft picks plus three more. Plus they have not overspent in free agency on marginal players allowing them flexibility.

The thing that needs to happen is the Suns to draft smart, have their young players develop, make an impact trade and sign a key free agent. However, it's not all going to happen at one time.

I'm disappointed the Suns have not turned the corner earlier as well but I like what McDonough is doing as a GM. IMO, he has set the table for good things to happen.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy F. These guys call themselves professionals? Chriss standing there staring the entire time is just...incredible. He's gots to go.

I'm sure Chriss thought it was a shootaround and he was standing under the basket to retrieve the balls.

He almost got one.

:mrgreen:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It also makes the D'Antoni years with the Suns look better.
Better, until D'Antoni wore out his players with his SSOL accompanied by his 7.5-players-or-less rotation. MVSteve was drained come crunch time every season along with the rest of the short rotation.

D'A put on a more explosive show on offense during the season than any coach under Jerry's leadership, but the results were the same. Put on a show but wear 'em out for being strong approaching the post-season. An incomplete coach.

As the saying goes, it's not a sprint, it's a marathon. 'Antoni is a showman -- a one-dimensional coach in terms of both lack of planning ahead and having made jokes about playing "D".

To evaluate any Suns leader in terms of past leaders is shortsighted. Choices going forward should be made in terms of a new Suns vision of steadily building a team that will be a legitimate playoff contender. In that regard, all of the time right to the present has been wasted.

I don't see the current 30% owner ever being able to change that. He's a small town banker, he's not a basketball man. And he acts too insecure to hire experienced basketball people and let them do their job.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BC. I agree with you that DAntoni's short rotations burned out his players for the playoffs. I disagree about his motivations for that. Putting on a show had nothing to do with it. It was all about winning--every game, every night. DAntoni has never been a crowd pleaser much. But he is also a very much "in the moment" guy. Pop is a chess player. He will sacrifice a piece to win the game. DAntoni wanted to win every move.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Better, until D'Antoni wore out his players with his SSOL accompanied by his 7.5-players-or-less rotation. MVSteve was drained come crunch time every season along with the rest of the short rotation.

D'A put on a more explosive show on offense during the season than any coach under Jerry's leadership, but the results were the same. Put on a show but wear 'em out for being strong approaching the post-season. An incomplete coach.

As the saying goes, it's not a sprint, it's a marathon. 'Antoni is a showman -- a one-dimensional coach in terms of both lack of planning ahead and having made jokes about playing "D".

To evaluate any Suns leader in terms of past leaders is shortsighted. Choices going forward should be made in terms of a new Suns vision of steadily building a team that will be a legitimate playoff contender. In that regard, all of the time right to the present has been wasted.

I don't see the current 30% owner ever being able to change that. He's a small town banker, he's not a basketball man. And he acts too insecure to hire experienced basketball people and let them do their job.

Simply pointing out the D'Antoni years look pretty good right now. The Suns are not even putting on a good show.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What are the chances that two of the four professional teams in Phoenix win big the same year? I know the Suns and Cardinals have a lot of high draft picks. I say Suns, Cards are real good in 3 or 4 years.
Maybe I should just hope for one team in Arizona to win something.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What are the chances that two of the four professional teams in Phoenix win big the same year? I know the Suns and Cardinals have a lot of high draft picks. I say Suns, Cards are real good in 3 or 4 years.
Maybe I should just hope for one team in Arizona to win something.
Their injuries this year are just too much to overcome. Johnson, Palmer, Golden, Humphries, and so many more.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Football and Basketball you need to stay healthy to win. But the Cardinals where going no where fast before the injuries. Big changes next year for both Suns and Cards. New Coaches, New QB, New Point Guard, Young players stepping up. Has to be better then this year is.........

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Football and Basketball you need to stay healthy to win. But the Cardinals where going no where fast before the injuries. Big changes next year for both Suns and Cards. New Coaches, New QB, New Point Guard, Young players stepping up. Has to be better then this year is.........

The Suns need to be better next season for sure.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson